Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rather push a BMW than drive a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the Tesla will make me forget BMW.

They very well might.

My three previous cars: X5d, 228xi M-sport, 335d. Sold the X5 to buy the P3D (and am now without any Bimmer).

I have fond memories of all 3 of those BMWs. But I’m very happy with my Tesla and don’t care that I’m Bimmer-less. I’ve only got 5k miles on my Tesla and am already making those same kind of great memories.

Reactions: Skione65
i would think he is a smart man to push the BMW for it may be lighter and easier, but the fun stops there.

He would be surprised if he knew that BMW sales are of a concern with the Tesla model 3 coming out.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/21/tesla-top-priority-automakers-bmw-dealer-model-3-affecting-sales/

Tesla Model 3 Set To Grab Global #1 Premium Vehicle Spot In 2020, Crushing Mercedes C-Class & BMW 3 Series | CleanTechnica

.. and Don't show him this
Why I traded my BMW for a Tesla, how about you? | Tesla

We can also get into some of the most traded cars for the model 3. Yep. many are saying by by to their BMW.

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I pushed my E90 out the door and welcomed the new Model 3.
But I do miss the good oil girl occasionally, just for nostalgic reasons.

68546957_10105051619241359_8584724152424857600_n.jpg 68637493_10105051619251339_633807911553859584_n.jpg 68797296_10105051619336169_3465446323291947008_n.jpg

Reactions: SammichLover
It’s funny, I can’t tell you how many people think Tesla’s are foreign. If they ever do advertise making it clear that they are a domestic brand could be a good start!

That could also possibly backfire on them. I've lived in Europe for most of my life and moved to the US only about 7 years ago. Having said that, I really cannot agree with the statement "made in USA" = better. To be honest, I keep finding quite the opposite to be true... but I can understand why marketing works better here ;)

Cars over here are like a cult and somewhat in the US. Here
the worry now is that Ecars need 30% less workers to build the
cars. They do have a lot of empty job openings in AI. In 5 years
you most likely will not be able to buy an ICE in the EU. I guess he
can push a few more years.

Yeah each to his own. I have owned 5 BMW’s and still have our X5. Lusted after an M3 (the BMW) for a long time but comparatively it can no longer provide what I am looking for in a car like the Tesla can. In my opinion BMW is falling behind the curve and only now beginning to realize it. That’s why their latest 3 series has features like using a phone as a key and over the air updates( though both of these seem very poorly implemented). I have bought my last BMW until they take off their rose colored glasses and make a proper electric M vehicle. The i3 just makes me laugh.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I believe Porsche is missing the mark on the Tayacan. They could have developed something comprable to the price of a P3. At $120K++, the Tayacan will be a "niche" entry into the EV market. But hey, they already have a bunch of reservation holders. What would I know(?);)

They certainly priced it much higher than they were supposed to so it went outside my price range.

But, I think for now they're content with high end car buyers that are willing to spend $100K plus.

The thing that baffles me the most about the Taycan is why a Turbo model? There is no TURBO!!!

Reactions: groovidad
I can't speak to how German a vehicle is, perhaps you could provide a chart or graph so that I know how to rate them.

But what I can tell you, is my experience with Tesla, the company as been nothing but excellent. I've never had a problem with customer service and my sales experience was top notch. The communication was stellar. I'm not in any way trying to discredit your experience, I'm just saying it's not that way for everyone. And I find that the Fart app brings great joy to my younger passengers (which adds to their wanting to have a car like mine) so... maybe it's a genius marketing tool.

It's not about my experience so much, but general consensus that I've seen on TMC. The general consensus is that there is some serious disfunction going on at Tesla. Enough that I think it's healthy to joke about a Tesla vehicle being great, but the company not so much.

Nothing I said in my post should be taken too seriously as this is a joke thread.

For a more serious take:
Tesla as a company will get a lot better when they get viable competition.

Porsche will be a serious contender for high margin vehicles. It's not so much that Tesla will lose a lot of sales as obviously those are low volume vehicles. But, it does erode the lust factor. The way a top end vehicle can attract a person to a brand even if they don't buy the top end model.

Now I don't know what impact Porsche, and Audi will have overall. Tesla repositioned themselves so the reasons for buying is so much different than it was. It's much more focused on price per mile these days than enjoyment per mile. The Model 3 sells so well because it's a good mix of those two. Despite missing obvious enjoyment things like a heated steering wheel, HUD or ventilated seats.

They can get away with that for now because Porsche/Audi won't go down as low as the Model 3 in price, and the Japanese/Korean competitors are virtually non-existence. With the lone exception being the Hyundai Kona. To be viable Tesla competitor these days you have to have CCS fast charging of up to 100KW (approx), and its the only one I know of that checks that box. The Nissan Leaf doesn't even offer CCS charging at this time. The CCS charging is important as that's Electrify America network.

I expect Tesla will get better and better with low cost per mile to a point where Toyota will start losing serious sales to the 3/Y, but German companies will start to eat into the top end. It won't really matter as the real war will be between the Tesla Pickup and the Rivian. One of those will be my next EV.

Reactions: ibGeek
Haha. I grew up within a few hours driving distance of BMW in Munich.

A significant number of Germans are religiously infatuated with German cars and suggesting any other countries’ car makers, esp. from the USA, would be “better” or equal is simply considered blasphemy.

Tesla's are from California, not the USA! :D

RT

That could also possibly backfire on them. I've lived in Europe for most of my life and moved to the US only about 7 years ago. Having said that, I really cannot agree with the statement "made in USA" = better. To be honest, I keep finding quite the opposite to be true... but I can understand why marketing works better here ;)

I never implied it’d be perceived as “better” overseas. But some people in the US could give more attention to a domestic brand simply because it’s American.

Where did you even get the idea of “better”?!?!