Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from Son spilling jelly beans on top of battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
My Son spilled jelly beans in the car. I asked him to clean it up immediately while we were stopped. I failed to inspect and he didn't do a good job and at least one jelly bean fell below the carpet on top of battery? Rattles when making sharp turns. Haven't been able to find it and get it out. Should I try to remove a seat? Scheduled service for 2 weeks from now, soonest available.

That's an expensive jelly bean!! Maybe you could send a mouse in after it? 😉 Or just live with the noise.

My youngest son left a banana peel on the back seat of my M3 and I didn't even notice. It sat there for a day. I'd like to say "no more food in the car", but it's unlikely we can stick to that rule.

No more candy though! 🤪

Reactions: buckets0fun
The estimate came back from Tesla. $918 to get the jelly bean out.
Yeah, the "official" way of getting things out of that area is pretty much disassembling everything on top, which takes a lot of time (and labor tends to be expensive these days). If it was metal, I had luck with a magnetic inspection mirror (a screw bit fell in and I was able to retrieve it this way).

As another mentioned, maybe try a vacuum? If you can get the jelly bean isolated to a general area near one of the holes in the carpet, that would probably help.

Reactions: geauxwdw
i know your pain, i dropped a crocodile clip in the underpan of the car when i changed the airfilter. thankfully it doesnt rattle but it made me think how easy it is to lose something in there. i covered the bottom airvents hence as well.

Personally I'd perhaps ask a plumber if hed be willing to stick an endoscope into the belly of the beast and in the airvents and see if he can take it out.

Last edited:
i know your pain, i dropped a crocodile in the underpan of the car when i changed the airfilter. thankfully it doesnt rattle but it made me think how easy it is to loose something in there. i covered the bottom airvents hence as well.

Personally I'd perhaps ask a plumber if hed be willing to stick an endoscope into the belly of the beast and in the airvents and see if he can take it out.

USB endoscopes are fairly cheap on Amazon — I’d probably even go that route. They’re useful to have.

The estimate came back from Tesla. $918 to get the jelly bean out.
Get some all weather floor mats that have raised edges. They will keep spilled items on the mats for easier cleanup. That is one expensive jelly bean!
Just leave it. It will melt on a hot day and glue itself some where
This is what I would do. It will eventually melt on a hot day when the interior of the car gets 140+ degrees. Enjoy the sound, one day your children will be gone and you will miss the joyous little things in life your children brought you.

Reactions: father_of_6