Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Model S: worth it or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My logic is: Raven adds enough new stuff combined with everything that came out side my 2013 was made, to make it a worthwhile upgrade for me, and the "free Ludicrous for owners" sealed the deal. If triple motor is faster, that's OK, I've lived with a "it used to be the fastest!" Tesla for years. The torque vectoring could be pretty cool though. But in the end all that would cost about $20K more to me because the current offer for owners will surely go away when if and when a triple motor car comes out. So I figure I'm getting a pretty good deal. We'll see! Also, don't forget to factor in opportunity cost -- the longer you wait, the less time you'll have in the car!

My logic is: Raven adds enough new stuff combined with everything that came out side my 2013 was made, to make it a worthwhile upgrade for me, and the "free Ludicrous for owners" sealed the deal. If triple motor is faster, that's OK, I've lived with a "it used to be the fastest!" Tesla for years. The torque vectoring could be pretty cool though. But in the end all that would cost about $20K more to me because the current offer for owners will surely go away when if and when a triple motor car comes out. So I figure I'm getting a pretty good deal. We'll see! Also, don't forget to factor in opportunity cost -- the longer you wait, the less time you'll have in the car!
Can’t argue with that.

I don't think the three motor version is coming any time soon. Suspect that's from a full refresh a couple of years away. They wouldn't have bothered with the Raven changes.

Reactions: bhzmark and cizUK
I don't think the three motor version is coming any time soon. Suspect that's from a full refresh a couple of years away. They wouldn't have bothered with the Raven changes.

The obvious choice would be to use the same three motor architecture as the Roadster and start releasing Ludicrous 3 motors sometime after the Roadster deliveries. I think that's late next year? So yeah, a couple years is a reasonable guess IMHO.

Yes you are correct, the Raven refresh and suspension change are the only big mechanical things for a while. The new interior and some exterior upgrades come out in September. That tri Motor set up may be incorporated in the next model S but that’s probably 4 years down the road after Y start up, pickup announcement and start up, semi production and roadster as well

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I’m in same boat.

A) Keep 2012 P85, which is near end of warranty, worth little in market or trade but valuable to me with countless great obsolete features (sycamore brown, obeche, leather, nicer dash cover...), but no AP at all?

B) Or spend 63k to replace with P3.
C) Or 75 to replace with discounted inventory S.
D) Or 89 to replace with Raven LR.
E) Or 100 to replace with Raven PL.

F) Or ? To replace with eventual facelift S?

Options and mixed feelings abound!

@tomas, I went with (E) because I assumed (F) would cost me more than I had to spend (assuming triple-motor performance would not get free Ludacrous like E does currently). To each their own. My (A) also has some things I won't get back (sunroof, red piping on seats, RWD fun). But (E) replaces those with some great stuff. Change happens.

Curious how time with judge the Raven MS. In many ways it's the most refined MS to date (although it lacks options available in prior iterations such as real leather, sunroof and ventilated seats). Add to that the free ludicrous offer to current Tesla owners and it becomes a very tempting upgrade. But then there is all the scuttlebutt on the pending refresh, which may include a spartan Model 3 type interior, significant battery range upgrade, V3 charging speeds and possibly an exterior refresh. Such drastic changes may leave those of us who upgraded to the Raven in a state of regret--or make us glad we took the plunge. The pending changes may not make for a "better" Model S.

I formerly owned an e46 generation of the BMW M3 (2005). IMO, that remains the best M3 produced by BMW. Sure, they've added more tech, but the direction they went with a V8, for example, loses some of the spirit of the M3 -- as does the increasing prevalence of automatic transmissions.

So, could the Raven be the e46 of the Model S? I guess time will tell. In the meantime I'm struggling with the known chance to get an amazing Model S with ludicrous speed vs the unknown of forgoing that chance for what's behind door number 2.
If you buy Raven, you are buying into the end-of-the-line. I suspect the prices will get even more attractive the closer we get to a refresh, especially if Tesla has inventory cars it wants to move. The deals will probably get better. Whatever you decide, make a pact with yourself that you don't care what's around the corner because it doesn't matter. If today's model meets your needs and budget, there is no need to wait. Unless, of course, there is something specific you are waiting for.

I'm waiting for longer range, nicer interior, better manufacturing tolerances from the Model 3 line, and a significant improvement over what is essentially a 7+ year old design. It's impossible for me to drop that kind of money on a vehicle that is not built as well as one half the price. I have a specific list of wants before I buy again. It doesn't sound like you have such a list. Go for it!

FWIW the longer you can hold off on picking up a Tesla (or any other car to an extent, I guess) chances are the better deal you’ll get.

Tell that to the people who can no longer buy a Model S with a sunroof :p

I would not trade my 2018 Model S with a sunroof for a 2019 Raven without a sunroof. I also love the silver exterior of my car and that's another option you can no longer order.

In general things improve but not all changes are positive. I feel this is a great time to buy a Model S because the design has been around for a while and the Model S they are selling now is the best more reliable Model S they have created.

I just hope the sunroof returns with the interior refresh.

I’m in same boat.

A) Keep 2012 P85, which is near end of warranty, worth little in market or trade but valuable to me with countless great obsolete features (sycamore brown, obeche, leather, nicer dash cover...), but no AP at all?

B) Or spend 63k to replace with P3.
C) Or 75 to replace with discounted inventory S.
D) Or 89 to replace with Raven LR.
E) Or 100 to replace with Raven PL.

F) Or ? To replace with eventual facelift S?

Options and mixed feelings abound!

OK after deliberation (and the expected lowball Tesla trade in offer), I've decided.... what's the rush? I'd like to have AP in Chicago (have it in CA), but not worth making a jump solely for that.

Makes no sense (for me) to buy discounted inventory S without the Raven features, and that's the only thing besides partial tax credit that is "expiring" this month.

I will wait to see what (if any) facelift S arrives later this year. If I love it and price is good, I may bite. In particular, I'm hoping for: Model 3-like visibility, Model 3-like HVAC, single landscape screen (Tesla's now and future UI works better on it) + HUD, and an improved front end design. If I don't love it, a facelift S would probably precipitate incentives on inventory pre-facelift falcons, so will make a quick assessment then. Of course the option of another 3P is always there! Or is there option of roadster? Banish the thought!

Everyone's preferences and circumstances are different... that's it for me. I'm only musing out loud because it appears I'm not the only one thinking about this "nice to have" problem.

Took delivery of my P100DL Raven last Saturday. I imagine the free ludicrous offer will go away soon. Any refresh will only increase the price of the newer version. Current model has most everything I'd want in a car and with supercar performance. Very pleased!
Congratulations.
Can we have a detailed review of the new suspension, and comparison with the old Model S??
Pretty please??