Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RCM_d022 error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Rear Right Safety Restraint System Fault

Anyone else have this? I found this, but that's it.

It's occurred in the past, and now on the 21st and yesterday.

Tesla says "firmware bug". Fine...
But they said the same thing about a similar error in my wife's 3, then when it was out of warranty we had to pay $2,000 for a new front passenger seat.

I have it noted and the paperwork, while it's under warranty.
Hopefully it will not need hardware replaced past warranty, as I don't want to fight that it should be covered, since it started, while within warranty.

Mine has been saying something similar with "safety systems disabled" along with some other errors for months. Tesla has told me it is safe to drive still and the airbag will deploy in an accident and won't deploy randomly when it should not. LOL. I don't believe a word they tell me considering today is month 7 with my lemon that has so many broken components they might as well crush it.

If you access service mode, you can get a LOT more info on the error messages. I just did that on my lemon that has safety system errors galore, and the first two listed errors say that airbags are malfunctioning and may not work. Tesla had assured me the safety restraint errors were nothing to be concerned about months ago, and the vehicle was safe to drive, but now that is clearly a lie based on the airbags errors that are filling the service screen.

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_161846963.jpg
    PXL_20230607_161846963.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 172
If you access service mode, you can get a LOT more info on the error messages. I just did that on my lemon that has safety system errors galore, and the first two listed errors say that airbags are malfunctioning and may not work. Tesla had assured me the safety restraint errors were nothing to be concerned about months ago, and the vehicle was safe to drive, but now that is clearly a lie based on the airbags errors that are filling the service screen.

For the uninitiated (aka too lazy to search TMC)... how do you access service mode?

Lol @bmah, since you're probably a dev... is blaming "firmware bug" SOP for tech companies now?

Like have engineering and software folks given up finding a root causes since investigating only opens up a bigger can of worms?

To me that's just some technician saying "it's not my problem", since you as a customer have no access to the person who created (or is in charge of fixing) the bug.

You kinda need to be careful about (== don't) generalizing what one person said to a company, or an entire sector of industry. Like I can tell you a fair amount of what my team at work does is fix stuff so it works better, but I can't really extrapolate that to any other organization.

(I'm kind of a dual-class software engineer / product manager, except that product managers aren't really a thing where I work.)

Bruce.

To me that's just some technician saying "it's not my problem", since you as a customer have no access to the person who created (or is in charge of fixing) the bug.

You kinda need to be careful about (== don't) generalizing what one person said to a company, or an entire sector of industry. Like I can tell you a fair amount of what my team at work does is fix stuff so it works better, but I can't really extrapolate that to any other organization.

(I'm kind of a dual-class software engineer / product manager, except that product managers aren't really a thing where I work.)

Bruce.

Yeah I spent a long time in automotive and never heard "firmware bug" being the standard communication shared with customers. I mean, there were a lot of lame-o excuses to be sure, but "firmware bug" wasn't one of them.

Granted Tesla may think they're more of a software company than a hardware company, so blaming the firmware bug excuse may just be unique to the new tech. I don't have a large enough sample size to know at what point a generalization is a reasonable conclusion. But what I gather is that Tesla likes to use the term "firmware bug" since a lot of people I know (and reading stuff like this on TMC) indicate Tesla uses this excuse quite often now.

But what I do know 100% is Tesla told me their cars tend to all be glitchy and can shut down unexpectedly. So my family should not buy Tesla ever again if we care about these types of things. I guess I can follow that instruction.