Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to Confirm; One Last Question. Please Advise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP - I'm suffering through the same conundrum. Feel like I've got everything else worked out except the suspension choice. What finally pushed you over the edge? Why did you choose air?
I chose it because I have dragged the front spoiler across the incline into my driveway too many times. If I approach at an angle it doesn't rub. I wanted to not worry about parking curbs and sharp inclines at the end of my driveway.

I chose it because I have dragged the front spoiler across the incline into my driveway too many times. If I approach at an angle it doesn't rub. I wanted to not worry about parking curbs and sharp inclines at the end of my driveway.
Beware. There are many posts from people with the air suspension that strongly advise against leaving the car over a parking curb. The suspension can settle (leak?) down a bit, scraping when you pull out. For the driveway, at least as it is now, you need to manually raise the suspension via the screen every time you come home. Whether this is easier than approaching at an angle is up for you to decide. With some luck you'll eventually be able to specify suspension settings by GPS location, but that's not yet available.

@Gismotoy...Thanks. I had assumed that I would have to manually raise her up. My concern was that if I did NOT get the air package she would scrape every time--angled in or not. It would be cool if she could remember to do this all on her own. Good info too on the "settling".

Hehe. Cult for sure. I am guzzling the Kool Aid with a big grin. :) Apologies in advance for the long stream of consciousness post...

After scouring TMC forums for weeks, this is what I've learned about Active Air: It certainly helps with raising/lowering, load leveling, maybe reducing lean in corners, and definitely smoother ride. May help performance a bit by increasing contact patch. However, if you look at the rest of the automotive industry, the best handling cars out there all use standard springs or MagneRide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide). Air suspension is mostly relegated to SUVs, Citroens, big luxury boats. There are a few notable exceptions with air suspension like the Audi RS6 Avant.

I think MagneRide is more high tech, better performing solution. I wonder if Tesla included that option in their trade space and discounted it for some reason (Cost? Delphi as supplier?).

At $2250, the air suspension option isn't expensive, but the added complexity always increases risk of something going wrong down the road.

Bottom line to OP: IMHO Active Air is worth it for improved body control, better ride. MS is, after all, a heavy car with distinct dynamics (because of low low CG) and we can trust that the engineers did a great job taking the chassis into account in these design decisions.

IMHO Active Air is worth it for improved body control, better ride. MS is, after all, a heavy car with distinct dynamics (because of low low CG) and we can trust that the engineers did a great job taking the chassis into account in these design decisions.

I have 12,000 miles on coil sprung S, about 1,000 miles on air. Have you driven both extensively and come up with this opinion?. My findings: Ride is softer with air. But air leaves you with a lofty feeling, a disconnect from the road. The coil suspension is amazing. It is comfortable and allows you great communication with the road, in real time (not corrections after the fact as air gives you). I'm 57, so I like comfort, but when I want to drive a bit aggressively in the curves, to have some fun, the coils give me confidence, the air I found a bit scary.