Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to join but should I wait for AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much deliberation I think we will lease a MS60. I work from home so range is not an issue and 5.5 0-60 is more than adequate. Also considering a lease over a purchase simply because they innovate these cars so far that I can upgrade in 3 years more easily.

Was torn between the MS vs 2017 Mercedes e300 optioned out.

Anyway, point of this post is the rumor is autopilot 2 is around the corner which requires extra hardware. Wondering if we should wait for this or just jump in now. We are in no hurry but don't want to wait more than a few months.

Waiting always gets you something "better" and/or newer.

AutoPilot as it is now is perfect for myself and my commute. I don't need AP 2.0 and its added safety features for myself.

We are getting an MX when AP 2.0 is being delivered to replace our Odyssey. For driving around town we do want the additional safety feature 2.0 will bring (pedestrian detection, cross traffic alerts etc). For our MX purchase, we are waiting.

Reactions: Cowby
After much deliberation I think we will lease a MS60. I work from home so range is not an issue and 5.5 0-60 is more than adequate. Also considering a lease over a purchase simply because they innovate these cars so far that I can upgrade in 3 years more easily.

Was torn between the MS vs 2017 Mercedes e300 optioned out.

Anyway, point of this post is the rumor is autopilot 2 is around the corner which requires extra hardware. Wondering if we should wait for this or just jump in now. We are in no hurry but don't want to wait more than a few months.

Rumored is about right. Yes, it will eventually make it to the Model S, but there's no specific timeline for it. It's speculated that it'll happen before the production launch of the Model 3. When I started looking to purchase mine since back in February, it was a rumor over the facelift, AP2, cooled seats, improved storage (door cubbies) and probably some other stuff. As it turned out, I happened to order it at the launch of the facelifted one. Some others happened to get it simply because they ordered near enough to the launch.

Tesla tends to announce things but rarely with any dinfinitive timeline. If you feel that AP2 is a make it or break it addition I suspect it could be a year or more away. The model S tends to be a test bed where updates to various things occur almost at random, rumor is always rife with speculation but in the end you're most likely to enjoy ownership. As someone said in this forum, you can wait until the next improvement to come along (or the next, or the next...ad infinitum) or start driving it now.

Leasing is fine - I went that way but be aware that Tesla has done away with the resale guarantee recently.

I can hardly wait for AP2, as the current version scares the crap out of me. I try to use it as much as possible so that Tesla gets the history, but it is far, far, far from good. It's simple things like being on a highway that is 2 lanes in each direction. If I'm in the right hand lane going around a curve, it hugs the left hand side, even though its sensors are going off due to a tractor trailer being 6 inches away from me. It knows the truck is there, why not hug the right hand side of the lane?

In I'm in the left hand lane it does the opposite, it hug the right hand side while going around the curve, creating the same problem despite being able to move further to the left. By doing this and the above, it would mimic the driving of a human.

pdq

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we'll move forward and not wait. With that question out of the way what are your thoughts on the following:

1) As previously mentioned I work from home and thus the MS60 is more than enough. Is there any major advantage or reason to go with the awd D besides the fact it's awd?

2) Premium upgrade package worth the cost? I don't care about the bioweapon defense mode. The site states "more comfortable, higher quality materials throughout the cabin". Really worth the cost?

3) How is the stock sound system in the car, worth upgrading to the high fidelity? I'm just a typical person that likes good sounding music, not an audiophile that cares about all of the details. I just don't want it to sound like crap.

4) Upgraded seats worth it?

Anything else you guys would recommend? So far the build I'm looking at is as follows:

• Midnight silver metallic
  • S 60 Rear drive
  • Autopilot
  • Premium upgrades?
  • Ultra high fidelity?
  • All glas roof
  • 21in Grey turbine wheels
  • Dark ashwood with black seats

D if you plan on encountering inclement weather and want more speed/ range. PUP worth every cent IMO, and is needed if you want a power lift gate. You'll also want PUP if going with Next Gen seats, which I think are the biz compared to standard vegan seats (wife loves the seats and she's 7 months preggers). I believe you'd skate with standard sound. The 21" wheels are a very pricey option and can be had for less buying off a forum member, Ebay, etc.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Thanks for the replies guys. I think we'll move forward and not wait. With that question out of the way what are your thoughts on the following:

1) As previously mentioned I work from home and thus the MS60 is more than enough. Is there any major advantage or reason to go with the awd D besides the fact it's awd?

2) Premium upgrade package worth the cost? I don't care about the bioweapon defense mode. The site states "more comfortable, higher quality materials throughout the cabin". Really worth the cost?

3) How is the stock sound system in the car, worth upgrading to the high fidelity? I'm just a typical person that likes good sounding music, not an audiophile that cares about all of the details. I just don't want it to sound like crap.

4) Upgraded seats worth it?

Anything else you guys would recommend? So far the build I'm looking at is as follows:

• Midnight silver metallic
  • S 60 Rear drive
  • Autopilot
  • Premium upgrades?
  • Ultra high fidelity?
  • All glas roof
  • 21in Grey turbine wheels
  • Dark ashwood with black seats
with the heating package you also get heated steering wheel... Sound system is needed if you want Sirius but I now mostly use the free internet radio services that are provided. (getting my 2nd S and not getting the radio upgrade) Definitely need the better seats, glass roof but as someone said, buy the 21" wheels separately online. I got mine for 3k on the Panjo site.