Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to join but should I wait for AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest issue with both have with the standard seats is the headrests lean forward and because they aren't adjustable, we both get kinks in our necks if in the car longer than about 45 minutes at a stretch. The next gen headrests are more straight up and down and they feel much more comfortable.
That is the only thing about the 1st seats I don't like. The actual seats are more comfortable to me. I resolved that with a matching (black) neck pillow. (I also got a seatbelt cover for more comfort but that is off-topic.)

I think your first sentence is your answer. You plan on leasing! Go for it! I pick-up mine on Thursday and with a 3 year lease I have no regrets. So I may miss out on the first 2 years of AP 2.0 but my 1.0 will be updated often and sufficient. 3 years from now I will be hemming and hawing about missing a total autonomous hardware upgrade if I order too soon. See, it never stops :)

I think your first sentence is your answer. You plan on leasing! Go for it! I pick-up mine on Thursday and with a 3 year lease I have no regrets. So I may miss out on the first 2 years of AP 2.0 but my 1.0 will be updated often and sufficient. 3 years from now I will be hemming and hawing about missing a total autonomous hardware upgrade if I order too soon. See, it never stops :)
I think the lease is too expensive. Basically $1k a month once you remove the down payment (assuming $80k car). You can lease a 5 series for 450 to $500 for that much. Car is about $56k -$60k.

some cars just don't lease well (Audi etc) others lease really well (BMW) I think tesla is in the former category.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we'll move forward and not wait. With that question out of the way what are your thoughts on the following:

1) As previously mentioned I work from home and thus the MS60 is more than enough. Is there any major advantage or reason to go with the awd D besides the fact it's awd?

2) Premium upgrade package worth the cost? I don't care about the bioweapon defense mode. The site states "more comfortable, higher quality materials throughout the cabin". Really worth the cost?

3) How is the stock sound system in the car, worth upgrading to the high fidelity? I'm just a typical person that likes good sounding music, not an audiophile that cares about all of the details. I just don't want it to sound like crap.

4) Upgraded seats worth it?

Anything else you guys would recommend? So far the build I'm looking at is as follows:

• Midnight silver metallic
  • S 60 Rear drive
  • Autopilot
  • Premium upgrades?
  • Ultra high fidelity?
  • All glas roof
  • 21in Grey turbine wheels
  • Dark ashwood with black seats

I skipped Premium
  1. Power tailgate is really not that interesting to me, I'd rather just close the trunk instead of watching it close
  2. The dash trim is fine without that strip of alcantara
  3. The lower dash trim in plastic still looks great and will probably wear better
  4. I don't have alergies so bioweapon wasn't really necessary / interesting
  5. LED lights aren't worth much
Premium Stereo:
The standard radio is really good. For the cost of a premium audio system I'd rather go on vacation 3 times. Or just add a Sub.

Even Bjorn Nyland in Norway thinks subzero package isn't worth it since you can just pre-heat the car before you leave.

I love my current AP 1.0 so much that I can't really see what more could AP 2.0 can bring, that will make me wait or switch. That might be because 90% of my driving is on well marked highways where the current AP is brilliant.

But then I thought AP1.0 will be a gimmick before it was released.

My 2c:

Don't wait for AP 2 - especially if you're leasing. Even if you get the hardware, it could be another year for the software.

I like the base seats & love the pano roof.

premium package - this is the one option I got that I wouldn't spend the money on next time. Not much value unless you have health /orthopedic problems using the rear hatch.

You might be in trouble with 21s in Atlanta. The parts of town I've driven in seemed to have a lot of potholes. They look badass though. I got the 19s - keep thinking about getting some 21s just for looks.

D isn't necessary in Atlanta. The bad weather there is the occasional ice/snow storm where you'd be screwed anyway because no one else can drive in it and the city is ill prepared to clear the streets.

The rear drive is quieter - you don't get that little high pitched noise. Not sure if D makes the 60 accelerate faster?

The base audio sounds great to me, but I'm not a music connoisseur.

Not much need for the cold weather - you can Preheat the car, so the wheel won't matter much. The controls for the rear seat heaters and steering wheel is buried in the touchscreen, so they won't get used much either.

Enjoy whatever you get!

I skipped Premium
  1. Power tailgate is really not that interesting to me, I'd rather just close the trunk instead of watching it close

I don't push the bottom and watch. I push the button and then get in the car. But more importantly, I often push the button on the remote with things in my hands as I approach the car, then it's open ready for me to drop them in when I get to the car. I do this most days when leaving work. When I get home, I push the button on the screen and then get out, grab my stuff, push the button on the trunk, and go inside. It's a feature I wouldn't want to be without. The retracting door handles make it a hassle to put things in the back seats.

I don't push the bottom and watch. I push the button and then get in the car. But more importantly, I often push the button on the remote with things in my hands as I approach the car, then it's open ready for me to drop them in when I get to the car. I do this most days when leaving work. When I get home, I push the button on the screen and then get out, grab my stuff, push the button on the trunk, and go inside. It's a feature I wouldn't want to be without. The retracting door handles make it a hassle to put things in the back seats.

I do much the same. It also helps getting things out of the hatch or putting it in when the car has been parked in the garage for a while. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug, but when the car has been sitting a while unlocked, it locked the hatch, or at least it won't open by pushing the button on the hatch. I can get into the car and open the hatch from the center screen though. If I didn't have the powered hatch, I don't think that's possible (it may be though, I don't know how the unpowered hatch works).

That works for when the trunk isn't full but when you start to get it full the system is (rightfully) pretty sensitive if it bumps into something so you have to move your stuff and make sure it actually closes (based on a long roadtrip with my friend's classic S).
in these situations I'd rather just have it manual. Maybe if it had one of those bumper sensors like on the Fords I'd be more positive about it. But it's definitely a cherry on top, not a necessary feature and it does have +s and -s. For my sister who's 5'2" tall or my parents who'd have trouble reaching up that high I'd probably recommend it more.

Last edited:
If you don't need the car right now, then yes absolutely you should wait! Why would you knowingly buy into old, last-generation technology without receiving a significant discount or other incentive? The new sensors and who knows what else are on the horizon, if you buy now you will regret your decision. Not to mention the fact that you will take a major hit in resale value as soon as AP 2.0 is launched. You may be able to retrofit, but it will be super expensive if possible at all.

Reactions: xav-
I'm not so sure re-sale will plummet like you say. There are always people out there willing to spend a little less for a great car rather than buying new and paying full OEM prices. Time will tell but IMHO I think re-sale will be very good.
Will not matter to the OP. because like me he is leasing. :)

I don't know about the Model Ss coming off the line right now, but I took delivery in June and all visible AP hardware is version 1.0. I think there is a good chance the wiring harnesses for version 2.0 are in there though.