Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready to pull the trigger - 2019 SR vs 2020 LR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided to go ahead and buy a Model S, but am trying to decide between two great options at my local Tesla store. They have a 2019 SR (gray with white interior) for $69,450 (full Raven suspension, MCU2, AP3) or a 2020 LR+ (blue with white interior) for $77,270. Both are considered "fleet vehicles." The 2019 only has 160 miles (it was a showroom queen).

I have a slight preference for the gray color, but am wondering if I'd be better off with the longer range for the extra $7500... I don't actually need the range, as this would not be a "vacation car," but it may be worth it for later resale?

Any thoughts between these two options? Both seem like good buys to me.

Thanks! Rick

If your keeping this car long term then there is zero diff between both except a nice $7500 savings. Range wise it won’t matter long run as eventually years from now the norm will be 500 miles

I’m partial to blue on white but the gun metal grey is also beautiful.

Take the savings and go have nice holiday in Hawaii lol.

Last edited:
Both of those are decent discounts for new cars. Its a personal preference but I would spring for the larger battery. It's newer and might have other improvements like the wireless charger and being a newer 2020 refresh it should be a easier sell/hold higher resale value. Our P100D X is supposed to have 289 miles but we don't get the advertised EPA ratings because of driving styles. Our LR 3 RWD gets closer to epa range but we still wish we had a bit more. Our 3 wasn't supposed to be a "vacation" car but the efficiency and charging speeds have turned it into one and we love it. Went from OC to Vegas without needing a charging stop and got to charge at the hotel. You may fall in love with the S more than you anticipated and leave the larger vehicle at home to take the Tesla instead.

Last edited:
Great advice from all! I'm leaning towards the 2019, as I do believe it has virtually everything the 2020 has (except for the lower range due to the 75 batteries). The 2019 had the FSD pre-installed, which I will have removed to get to the price I mentioned... Hope they somehow manage to "forget" to remove it (as I've heard sometimes happens on these in-stock cars)...

@RiknChar, at the time we purchased our SR, the price difference was $13k-17k, depending on whether I wanted equivalent wheels. I stuck with the SR and have been very happy.

That said, even I would go for the LR+ in this case for roughly 10% extra cost because:

1. a little faster acceleration for the LR
2. over 36% more range with the LR
3. faster charging with the LR
4. upon resale, you will recoup some of that 10% anyways, so the difference is even smaller

...then again, my plan is to keep it a very long, but that's what I said about the LS too. You know yourself best and all the best to you on your final decision. Congratulations on having an enviable problem. :)

Thanks for the advice, AYCE! Both cars represent a roughly $5500 discount from full list price. The 2020 LR+ has 616 miles as a "fleet vehicle" and the 2019 has 160 miles as a "fleet vehicle." I guess these miles probably don't matter much, as both come with the full warranty and should be pretty much "like new."

I hear what you're saying regarding resale, and that does play a part for me, as I know I tend to upgrade every 3 years or so. The quicker acceleration and faster charging mean little or nothing to me, though. And I have a strong preference for the Midnight Silver Metallic color compared to the blue (although my wife's new Model 3, that we will be picking up on 3/17, is also the Midnight Silver Metallic, and it might be kind of weird to have two Teslas with the exact same color in the family)...

I'm torn on whether I like the bright white interior... it's definitely modern and clean looking, and I prefer the dark black wood.

Decisions, decisions... Fun stuff!

They both seem like good deals. I'm partial to having more range, I think you are right that it will have a better resale value. I also like Tesla's blue color, especially with gray wheels.
Not exactly. Yes it will have a higher resale value, but it won't be $7,500 (or more) higher, which means you lost some part of the $7,500. Extreme example, buy a $20K Toyota vs $800K Ferrari - of course the Ferrari will have a much higher resale value, however not $780K higher.

Anything you buy on a car depreciates, so it's if a feature you don't care for, don't pay for it thinking it's an investment.

Reactions: IdaX
Not exactly. Yes it will have a higher resale value, but it won't be $7,500 (or more) higher, which means you lost some part of the $7,500. Extreme example, buy a $20K Toyota vs $800K Ferrari - of course the Ferrari will have a much higher resale value, however not $780K higher.

Anything you buy on a car depreciates, so it's if a feature you don't care for, don't pay for it thinking it's an investment.

Very good point! whitex! I do tend to agree that I'll end up never missing the extra range or slightly better 0-60 time, and the $7500 lower cost will be very useful in the long run... I'm planning to use Tesla financing to make the purchase process smoother, but then pay off the loan immediately after, so that's $7500 less that I'll have to pay.

Very good point! whitex! I do tend to agree that I'll end up never missing the extra range or slightly better 0-60 time, and the $7500 lower cost will be very useful in the long run... I'm planning to use Tesla financing to make the purchase process smoother, but then pay off the loan immediately after, so that's $7500 less that I'll have to pay.

FYI the power delivery and acceleration times of the 2019 and 2020 raven should be identical.

The logic of saving $7500 is sound.
Take the 2019!

The now-discontinued “standard range” 75 kWh battery that they’re looking at is a bit slower.

The LR and LR+ (essentially the renamed 100D) are different in 0-60 times? Didnt know that was the case.

If we are going by the stated Tesla advertised times of 3.7 LR+ vs the 4.2 sec of the LR, real
world times are likely identical.

My own 2018 100D was advertised 4.3sec 0-100km and I consistently see 3.8sec. Tesla seems to have understated the 0-60 times for years as per many YouTube videos of personal accounts or recorded times besting the states oem figure.

They finally got to 3.7sec on this new LR+.

The 2019 I'm considering is a Standard Range model (75 kWh), and it's rated at 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, vs the 3.6 second rating for the current LR+ models. I'm okay with this "slow-poke" of a car, as 4.0 seconds to 60 would probably melt my face off just fine... I think the main difference that matters a bit is in the range, from 285 for the SR car I'm considering compared to the 390 in the LR+ model that I could buy for an extra $7500. I really don't need the extra range particularly, as all my driving will be around my town, but I can see that a future buyer might be willing to pay a bit less for the SR model...

The 2019 I'm considering is a Standard Range model (75 kWh), and it's rated at 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, vs the 3.6 second rating for the current LR+ models. I'm okay with this "slow-poke" of a car, as 4.0 seconds to 60 would probably melt my face off just fine... I think the main difference that matters a bit is in the range, from 285 for the SR car I'm considering compared to the 390 in the LR+ model that I could buy for an extra $7500. I really don't need the extra range particularly, as all my driving will be around my town, but I can see that a future buyer might be willing to pay a bit less for the SR model...

Oh ok. So 7500 between SR and LR+. I’d take the LR+ then hands down. The range will make a difference to most buyers at resale time.

Not sure what your winters are like but range will decrease in top of normal battery degradation. you may find SR adequate in normal driving conditions, but not in colder temp’s.

With Tesla there are only 3 types of feel:

4.0 is very very fast.
3.6 is stupid fast
2.4 is mind boggling, ridiculous.

Enjoy either :)

I've looked back at the listing for the 2020 Long Range model available for $77,270. I had mistakenly been calling it a Long Range Plus + model, but now that I look closer I see that it's just a Long Range, not a LR+. I guess I didn't realize there was a difference... Anyway, this LR model is advertised as having a range of 373 miles (that's why I assumed it was the LR+ model).

Does this make a significant difference in the overall evaluation of which car is the better choice (comparing the SR model with the LR model, with a $7500 price difference)?

Thanks!

I've looked back at the listing for the 2020 Long Range model available for $77,270. I had mistakenly been calling it a Long Range Plus + model, but now that I look closer I see that it's just a Long Range, not a LR+. I guess I didn't realize there was a difference... Anyway, this LR model is advertised as having a range of 373 miles (that's why I assumed it was the LR+ model).

Does this make a significant difference in the overall evaluation of which car is the better choice (comparing the SR model with the LR model, with a $7500 price difference)?

Thanks!

If I had the same prices available at the time of our purchase six months ago, i would take the LR without question. However, I would also wait for one in my top colors of choice.

Not sure what your winters are like but range will decrease in top of normal battery degradation.

And for me, that's important. I doubt it will ever make sense to pay for a replacement battery out of wty if you can possibly avoid doing so, and that will be firmly in the mind of future buyers if you do sell. So this is your chance to get the best battery and treat it as gently as possible with regards to charging.

It is true that this 7k feature will be depreciating along with the value of the whole car, but I see it as having a protecting effect on your car's value too. Either way, your already in for a few bucks whichever way you go, so best to have the best battery platform you can imo.