Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World 0-60 for Plaid & Long Range WITHOUT Cheetah Launch Mode turned on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long Range has no special launch mode.
Can confirm that it has "Drag Race Mode".

actually, Insane was years ago. Then it went Ludicrous. Now it's Plaid crazy.
And the LR at 3.1 is now insane.
The LR's max acceleration mode is in fact called "Insane". Seems they revived it.

I received a Dragy in the mail today and will be logging some data in the next few days.

Long Range has no special launch mode. And the Tesla site shows 3.1 0-60 for Long Range. So assuming its like today's long range, no special prep or modes needed to achieve the 3.1

Cant speak for the non launch mode times of the Plaid as its not listed on teslas site and I dont think anyone has reviewed that aspect (non launch mode 0-60) yet..
The LR has 3 modes - chill, sport and insane. In addition there is a “drag strip mode” which has instructions on how to launch. I haven’t tried that mode yet.

Agreed.

I wonder if the thermal improvements made to the plaid carry over to the LR? Meaning, Will the LR keep its full torque all the way to its top end like the Plaid now does?
Per Tesla's website, it does appear that the LR incorporates the same thermal improvements that impact power consistency. Not sure if that also means the torque curve is also similar to the Plaid.

"Both Long Range and Plaid powertrains, with updated battery architecture, are capable of back-to-back, consistent 1/4 mile runs."

Capture.PNG

Per Tesla's website, it does appear that the LR incorporates the same thermal improvements that impact power consistency. Not sure if that also means the torque curve is also similar to the Plaid.

"Both Long Range and Plaid powertrains, with updated battery architecture, are capable of back-to-back, consistent 1/4 mile runs."

View attachment 683493
That’s what I expected, and I’m hoping that someone will run a few Dragy tests with different battery levels on the LR to confirm that SoC is no longer an impact on performance similar to Plaid.

Reactions: oktane
That pencils out to about an 11.4 at 118 on the ol' racermath websites. But if it's not leaving hard (say, just doing a 1.7 60') and pulls harder from 40mph than it does from 20, that might skew a bit lower. Blast I really thought this was gonna be a 10-sec car. Maybe it still will be with a little lightweighting in the wheels and such

To me I think the yoke looks painful in almost every video. It was ok in the aircraft I flew but I didn't have to do multiple turns to change direction easily. This is the one part of the MS, the more I see it, the less I like it. Other than seeing the gauges better, which is a dubious excuse, why the hell did they do it.

If you were worrying about seeing the cluster in front of you, why not go with a simple HUD setup. Or mount the gauges slightly higher. Lots of options rather than reinventing the wheel so to speak and coming up with something worse. Curious to see how the buttons are and if cold weather affects them.

Anyway hope they'll come out with a different steering wheel option or someone from the aftermarket comes up with an appropriate wheel. I don't know about when you learned to drive, I was told to keep my hands on the 10 & 2 positions based on a clock reference. Even going to a driving school in another country where it was mandatory to get my license at the time locally, they said the same thing.

Last thing I want to think about is not having controls where it is intuitive for me if I need to react at high speeds. The key thing is that I would have to think about it rather than just react. Hopefully when I finally get to drive mine, it won't be as bad as it looks and the performance will be even better than I hoped.

Told by family member at Tesla product planning that the LR model is currently being limited 0~65 by software for now and he believes a update/upgrade option will enable it to do better in the future. When asked if it is "able" to do 2.3sec. 0-60 like the prior Ludacris model (Raven) his response was, "it can do better".

This supports my theory that the two versions are really close. Plaid has the 3rd motor, but is comes with more weight, using the same power/battery. They both have the exact same braking systems. With rollout vs/ no rollout, and the assumption that the new updated LR is more advanced than Raven, you gotta believe Plaid vs. LR "capability" difference is less than 0.3 seconds.

It also would suggest that plaid really will become the plaid plus once they have the newer battery ready to properly power a 3rd motor. It almost doesnt make sense to power the 3 motor with the same as the dual... marketing!

Definitely some differences in the motor. That doesn't mean there isn't more to be had in the LR later if it truly is software limited. Heck, I think most of their LR models are software limited. If they offer AB for the MS like they did for my MY, I'd buy in a heartbeat if they keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

That pencils out to about an 11.4 at 118 on the ol' racermath websites. But if it's not leaving hard (say, just doing a 1.7 60') and pulls harder from 40mph than it does from 20, that might skew a bit lower. Blast I really thought this was gonna be a 10-sec car. Maybe it still will be with a little lightweighting in the wheels and such

No need for lightweighting ;)
IMG_6296.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc