Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why you are arguing the above when no Tesla to date has run anywhere near a 10 second 1/4 mile time.

Well wel that's where you're wrong.

A P90D with Ludicrous has run 11.1516.

The margin to cut now, is .1517 seconds before the 11 second barrier is broken.

I'd say that's getting close considering that the first results we saw in this car were in the 11.4-11.5 range.

Anyone who can cut into that .1517 second margin, brings the P90D Ludicrous Midel S that much closer to breaking 11 seconds and thus putting it into the 10.9s.

@P85DEE
I checked the shop Ludicrous upgrade for the p90D before I made my comment and there is no 10.9 claim anymore. You must take your P85DL to the strip. I would not worry about any damage to your air suspension by tying it down on a trailer. Or isn't there somewhere you could get a slow charge if you drove?

I am planning to race Saturday AT Famoso 1/4 mile strip near Bakersfield, CA 150 miles away. The problem is the nearest Supercharger is Tejon Ranch 50 miles from the strip. I could slow charge somewhere in Bakersfield 20 miles from the strip. I thought about hauling my Tesla (Heartbeat) in my 24' 102" wide enclosed trailer but I could not get out of it once inside. Tried Summons on my neighbors steeper driveway but the Tesla would not move. Since the races are from 8 pm to 2 am it would have been nice to sleep overnight before heading home.

They still claim 10.9 under the Ludicrous option when configuring a NEW P90D on the website. Just checked it.

There is a world of difference between 11.15, and a 10.90 on a car that can only muster 11X trap speeds. Not exactly a secret.

Indeed.

But the car doesn't need to hit 10.90 to break the 11 second point. It need hit 10.999 in order to reach the threshold of having broken 11 seconds.

There would seem to be a greater chance of someone eventually achieving that if an improvement of .1517 seconds is needed over the thus far record, than if an improvement of . 2516 seconds is needed over the current record. Which it isn't.

Also it's worth mentioning that the 11.1516 being referred to, was done on a 116.70 trap speed. The fastest trap speed submitted for the P90D Ludicrous thus far is 118.95 mph and the second fastest thus far is 118.58. Granted, not your typical 10.9xx trap speeds, but may be enough to make it in this car.

But whatever is the case, pointing to the possibility of breaking the 11 second barrier and making it to the 10.9s because the car need make it to 10.999 as opposed to 10.900, seems to have a few of us worked up.

Last edited:
if I didn't happen at a drag strip, and recorded by the drag strip's timing equipment, it doesn't count..... no Tesla has run in the 10's....

Not yet.

But if/when one does, it looks like it'll do so to a chorus of boos and a bowl of sour grapes and "that's not good enoughs" from portions of what should be one of it's strongest support bases, should it not make it "deep enough" into the 10s for some of us.

And that's unfortunate. And disturbing to watch.

Seriously, you go out and run a pair of 11.2s and people want to imply that your wheels gave you an advantage.

A guy goes out and runs 11.1, and we imply that he had a "tail wind" when he didn't even break 117 mph.

It's easy to see where this is headed.

Last edited:
Reactions: St Charles
I got the 150lb figure from here. Tesla Model S Weight Distribution

I wonder if the 60lb figure was just the glass or if it included any additional sunroof hardware.

Interesting summary ... lot's of opportunities to drop some weight and improve ET times :cool:

upload_2016-6-3_11-35-49.png

D models are probably 50% higher motor weight plus another set of differential/halfshafts. There's actually not that much weight to save. As an owner trying to reduce weight you only have 2 choices, remove/change the seats and the wheels. There's not much else to take out if you still want to be road legal, i.e. glass.

D models are probably 50% higher motor weight plus another set of differential/halfshafts. There's actually not that much weight to save. As an owner trying to reduce weight you only have 2 choices, remove/change the seats and the wheels. There's not much else to take out if you still want to be road legal, i.e. glass.

Actually, as a race track guy ... there are lots of opportunities to save weight for improved track times.
In my 911 I have deleted the following for improved speed and handling:
  • AC = 0 lbs
  • Sunroof = 150 lbs
  • Carbon Doors = 100 lbs
  • Lexan windows = 50 lbs
  • Race seats = 100 lbs
  • Carpet, misc = 50 lbs
  • Total weight reduction = 500 lbs
A 10 second quarter mile would be no problem with the right modifications.
Colin Chapman's obsession with light weight racing "Simplify, then add lightness" :cool:

Actually, as a race track guy ... there are lots of opportunities to save weight for improved track times.
In my 911 I have deleted the following for improved speed and handling:
  • AC = 0 lbs
  • Sunroof = 150 lbs
  • Carbon Doors = 100 lbs
  • Lexan windows = 50 lbs
  • Race seats = 100 lbs
  • Carpet, misc = 50 lbs
  • Total weight reduction = 500 lbs
A 10 second quarter mile would be no problem with the right modifications.
Colin Chapman's obsession with light weight racing "Simplify, then add lightness" :cool:
You're not going to take out the AC from a Tesla, you're basically destroying the powertrain by doing so.

Model S is already made almost entirely out of aluminum. You could spend the price of the car upgrading body panels, and your weight savings would still not be mind blowing. You could pull the interior panels and speakers off the doors for most of the savings of whole door replacement.

With the sunroof, you have added weight in arguably the worst place to have it. On top of the car.

If it truly does weigh 159lbs, and there seems to be some question as to if it does, then aerodynamics not withstanding, its like strapping or bolting, as much as 150lbs to the top of the car.

With the sunroof, you have added weight in arguably the worst place to have it. On top of the car. If it truly does weigh 159lbs, and there seems to be some question as to if it does, then aerodynamics not withstanding, its like strapping or bolting, as much as 150lbs to the top of the car.

Correct ... the 150 lb Pano roof is located in the worst place and a great place to start weight reduction.

I am happy to report that I broke my P85DL 1/4 mile records last night at Bakersfield CA. Did 11.224 @ 119.00, 60' 1.602, 1/8 7.099 @ 98.16 at 94% charge. This is the quickest 1/4 reported in Drag Times by any P90DL except for the 11.152. Also on my 3rd run of 11.275 at 89% did 119.64 mph which is the highest of anybody except for the magazines. Famoso Raceway is a fast track and they do a lot of work preparing it. I have more details on the Ludicrous Upgrade thread.

@P85DEE
I do not expect any more further improvements and will never see a 10.900 (I know never promised for a P85DL). On my 5th run I astounded the crowd with an announced time of 10.125 and a time slip to prove it so you can say Tesla has done it. However there is no MPH on it and the real time was closer to 11.4.

I am happy to report that I broke my P85DL 1/4 mile records last night at Bakersfield CA. Did 11.224 @ 119.00, 60' 1.602, 1/8 7.099 @ 98.16 at 94% charge. This is the quickest 1/4 reported in Drag Times by any P90DL except for the 11.152. Also on my 3rd run of 11.275 at 89% did 119.64 mph which is the highest of anybody except for the magazines. Famoso Raceway is a fast track and they do a lot of work preparing it. I have more details on the Ludicrous Upgrade thread.

@P85DEE
I do not expect any more further improvements and will never see a 10.900 (I know never promised for a P85DL). On my 5th run I astounded the crowd with an announced time of 10.125 and a time slip to prove it so you can say Tesla has done it. However there is no MPH on it and the real time was closer to 11.4.
You're an honest man!:)
Any problems getting your car on and off your trailer ramps?
Edit: never mind, I read your other post on Ludi upgrade thread. Bummer.

@P85DEE

Congrats! You are very close to 10.9 if you are interested in putting your Tesla on a diet... :cool:

To this comment, I responded earlier:

And if an 11.00 is dialed in, well then anything below that, yes, even a 10.9999 is considered breaking out.

I think that I should also add that since we are looking at numbers obtained on a drag strip to determine how far off the mark the car is, that I was using custom, protocol, convention, and parlance, typically used in describing results obtained there.

Hi, @P85DEE

I've noticed that one of your arguments is that you are relying on what you report to be standard drag racing parlance, specifically, that 10.9999 is known by drag racers to be a "10.9 car". Apologies if I'm mis-stating your position.

Which leads me to this question: does the phrase "dialed in" mean something specific in drag racing lingo?

Thanks,
Alan