Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Model 3 UK Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know where in the 4 hours it states this?

I'm not doubting someone came up with that figure, it just seems utterly ridiculous! Even driving around city streets requires a power output in the order of tens of kiloWatts. Desktop computers on the other hand tend to consume maybe a couple of hundred Watts when running absolutely flat out. So I'm pretty confident that figure is either completely wrong or totally misleading at best.

Without going through the video again, quite sure its around 72w for cpu power usage with their new chips

Do you know where in the 4 hours it states this?

I'm not doubting someone came up with that figure, it just seems utterly ridiculous! Even driving around city streets requires a power output in the order of tens of kiloWatts. Desktop computers on the other hand tend to consume maybe a couple of hundred Watts when running absolutely flat out. So I'm pretty confident that figure is either completely wrong or totally misleading at best.

I specifically created a timestamp link but it appears that the TMC forums removes it after posting,

Go to 1:41:52 - 1:43:04

Reactions: ediflyer
I think the confusing part is the per mile part, if he'd just said 250W then I can relate that to the energy readout in my model S which is typically around 15-20 kW at 40-60 mph, so 250W would be 1.2 - 1.6% of the power consumption. At lower speeds where the motor is only consuming 5-10kW that would be 2.5% and I think thats the point Elon was trying to make about city driving in that it consumes relatively more power, although I agree I think their numbers were out.

I think the confusing part is the per mile part, if he'd just said 250W then I can relate that to the energy readout in my model S which is typically around 15-20 kW at 40-60 mph, so 250W would be 1.2 - 1.6% of the power consumption. At lower speeds where the motor is only consuming 5-10kW that would be 2.5% and I think thats the point Elon was trying to make about city driving in that it consumes relatively more power, although I agree I think their numbers were out.

I agree. 250W per mile is a meaningless figure. It's like saying my car has a power output of 400 hp per mile. He could have meant 250 Watt hours per mile, but that would be a ridiculously high consumption figure for a CPU! That would be more like the total power consumption for the entire car.

I'm a Model S owner (90D) and I rented a Model 3 dual motor for 3 days during a recent trip to Bergen in Norway. It was a vacation combined with a road test, as I've been considering swapping the S for a 3. Drove 500km, including a full day trip to the fjords and back, as well as around the town, so it was a pretty thorough road test. Here's my take.

What has delighted you?

Much prefer the size to the Model S, which has always felt unwieldy to me. The 3 is similar to the BMW 335D I had before the Model S, only more spacious inside. Definitely better miles per Kwh than the S, as would be expected of a lighter car with a smaller battery.

What has disappointed you?

Compared to an ICE car, nothing. Compared to the Model S, it all feels a bit cheap by comparison, as it was built to hit that mythical $35k mark. No automatic tailgate, don't like the door handles, and just having the single screen feels like a backward step, though the screen itself is excellent and sharper and more responsive than the S. Overall, perfectly acceptable, but lacking that premium feel.

How are you managing with the range?

Range was fine, though this is mainly subjective, as I didn't measure specifically. The area around the fjords is of course quite mountainous, and it was nice to see the available range actually increase slightly on a long downward stretch, thanks to the regen. Of course Norway is awash with superchargers, so range was never a concern. They are a lot more sparse in the UK, especially in certain areas, but Tesla remains way ahead of the competition in terms of charging infrastructure.

What home charging option do you have?

EV Box that I use for my S. Had some issues after installation, but they got resolved, and all is fine now. Steady 8Kw (single phase only).

What are your favourite features?

The standard EV (especially Tesla) stuff of instant acceleration and near-silence, obviously. Lack of clutter. Spacious, airy feel, though I wasn't blown away by the panoramic glass roof.

What features annoy you the most?

1. Fiddly, cheap-feeling door handles.
2. Didn't like the credit card key much - fiddly having to place it on the central divide. Had it been my own car rather than a rental, I would have paired my phone, which would have avoided any key-related issues.
3. False alarms from the driving aids. Several times the 'accidental lane change prevention' cut in when there was absolutely no need. Switched it off, but it kept getting re-enabled at the start of each journey.
4. Odd behaviour from the SatNav. A few times, the voice commands directly contradicted what the map was showing. Never had this on my Model S.

What do you most miss about an ICE car?

Fast refuelling, not having to plan ahead. Minor gripe though. Nothing else.

What 2-3 small features would you suggest for inclusion in a future revision?

Head up display, though I very much doubt Elon will cave on this. A few more buttons for essentials. Having to use the touch screen to adjust wiper speed is plain annoying, especially as the automatic mode doesn't work that well.

If you have FSD, do you use it and what’s your take?

Didn't use, so can't comment. Based on the flaky driver aids, I would worry it still has some way to go. My S has Autopilot 1, which is obviously much less sophisticated, but works very well in general.

Have you had to make changes to your normal driving habits?

Yes. Single-pedal driving for the most part thanks to regen braking. Much more aware of range than in an ICE car.

Any major or minor issues with the car yet?

Just the intrusive driving aids mentioned above.

Anything those on the waiting list shouldn’t worry too much about?

Anyone switching from ICE to EV needs to be aware of the need to plan for charging stops on longer trips, but Tesla (any model) will serve you better than any other current EV. Otherwise, bring it on. You'll never look back.

Happy to reply. I've had my LR AWD Model 3 almost exactly a month, having previously driven mostly German cars.

What has delighted you?

Firstly, the driving experience. The car accelerates and decelerates at startling speed. It can take a bit of getting used to but it's very enjoyable at both high and low speeds. Secondly, the car just looks great both inside and out. I have a metallic blue car with premium interior and 19" sports wheels. I love the simplicity and comfort of the interior and the intuitive way the software works. I also love the shape and styling of the car. Lastly, the fact that it isn't spewing noxious gases into the atmosphere. Easy to forget that sometimes. As I said to someone the other day - I don't envy any other driver on the road.

What has disappointed you?

Nothing. There are minor things (see annoying features) but nothing has been an outright disappointment.

How are you managing with the range?

Perfectly well. I have done two runs from London to Manchester and Bristol. I just use the superchargers to add the miles I need.

What home charging option do you have?

I bought a Tesla wall charger and had a good electrician we know install it. By dialing down the amps to 20 rather than 32 he could install it on the existing wiring. This means it charges at 18 miles per hour which is perfectly adequate when you have the car on charge overnight.

What are your favourite features?

I think most of the software features are great. They are so cleverly designed and intuitive. The navigation works really well; autopilot is obviously a work in progress but enjoy using it on the boring parts of long journeys; Spotify is great (most of the time); the audio is fantastic; software updates - brilliant.

What features annoy you the most?

When I first used auto steer it was incredibly sensitive. If you removed your hand from the wheel for a second it would disengage. This has now calmed down and I can remove one hand for several seconds and it no longer disengages. (I don't know why this has changed). The 'apply pressure' to the steering wheel comes up a bit too frequently for my liking. Visibility through the rearview mirror is poor but the side mirrors make up for it.

What do you most miss about an ICE car?

Nothing, and I will never go back.

What 2-3 small features would you suggest for inclusion in a future revision?

The integration between the audio commands and Spotify could be better. What you want it to do is play the song you request, rather than just return the results of a search.

Autopilot / FSD needs to be adapted to UK driving conditions rather than US highway cruising. e.g. some of the decisions it makes are very conservative when changing lanes especially given the power of the car. It doesn't mimic how I would drive.

If you have FSD, do you use it and what’s your take?

I do but I'm not sure what the differences are between it and Autopilot. If it is the auto overtaking feature that is the one feature I haven't used yet. I see FSD as an investment for the future. I wasn't buying it for the feature set of today.

Have you had to make changes to your normal driving habits?

Probably just much more conscious of range available

Any major or minor issues with the car yet?

On day 2 Spotify froze then the whole screen went blank. Before I could pull over it rebooted. Never happened since.

I also had a rattling sound from the windscreen when the car was travelling above 70 mph. It happened consistently. I booked the car in for service and one of the mechanics knew about the problem. One of the hose lines which feeds fluid to the windscreen wipers had not been clipped in properly at the factory. Fixed it on the spot. I went away happy but I only live 7 miles from Heathrow. If I had had to travel 50 miles I might have been less happy.

Anything those on the waiting list shouldn’t worry too much about?

It's worth the wait and Tesla are going to sell the Model 3 in the UK in their thousands. It is an iconic car.

Great thread this with very useful insights for those, like me, in the waiting room.

A question - when the foot comes off the accelerator and regenerative braking happens, I gather this slows the car down pretty quickly. Do the brake lights come on? Bit concerned they don’t and cars behind are oblivious to the braking.

Great thread this with very useful insights for those, like me, in the waiting room.

A question - when the foot comes off the accelerator and regenerative braking happens, I gather this slows the car down pretty quickly. Do the brake lights come on? Bit concerned they don’t and cars behind are oblivious to the braking.

Yes the brake lights come on when the braking/regen strength is over a certain threshold

Reactions: interbear
@Tiny Tim iirc LR AWD in blue - same hopefully as ours.
  • Do you have any idea of your range and/or efficiency, especially on those longer runs?
  • Are you using it like pretty much as you would an ICE vehicle, ie not altering habits wrt air con, speed etc.
  • Did you, or should you have to pay attention to the planning of those longer runs, or had you sufficient range that it was not an issue but just topped up as part of what would be a normal routine?
  • Which SC did you end up on Manchester run and how busy were they? I was recommended Stoke instead of Warrington even though I would drive right past the Warrington one on the way to my brothers - something to do with Warrington being a 'legacy site'.
thanks

Fantastic and really informative, thanks for taking the time to write this.

I've got to say though, the above has filled me with fear. I only have an SR+ on order and I was hoping that I might be able to eek our 200 miles on one of those, but if your P+ isn't doing 220 then it looks like this might not be the case. Hmmm...
Don’t worry about the range on the RWD with Aero wheels. I have a RWD LR and have taken the vehicle on a few 1600+ mile road trips. I get the rated range at 70mph on warm sunny days. Subtract some if it’s raining or cold. Subtract 30% if it’s its well below freezing. The dual motor 3’s get significantly less range than the RWD and those with the 20” wheels are even worse. There are many threads on TMC explaining the reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
  • Do you have any idea of your range and/or efficiency, especially on those longer runs?
I just make sure i've got plenty of slack - usually the car is charged to about 290 miles. Plenty to get there and back to Bristol. The car is very good at calculating remaining range once it knows the destination. So, coming back from Bristol I had a warning message above the navigation pane saying you're ok but don't drive faster than 75 mpg to get home. I don't cut it that fine. Pull into Membury services, plug in, get a coffee and and a snack and by the time you get back to your car you have another 100 miles of range.
  • Are you using it like pretty much as you would an ICE vehicle, ie not altering habits wrt air con, speed etc.
Yes, except that I am more conscious of the 'fuel gauge'. Supercharging so far has been easy. However it may become an issue once the next x thousand Model 3 cars are delivered. There is only a subset of superchargers that the Model 3 can use - (2 out of 6 at Membury.) They can also be used by S and X cars. So although the chargers are quick I can foresee congestion. Happily you only need them for long runs and most of the time you charge at home.
  • Did you, or should you have to pay attention to the planning of those longer runs, or had you sufficient range that it was not an issue but just topped up as part of what would be a normal routine?
The latter. Between major conurbations it is not a worry because of supercharging. I imagine the bigger problem with come when your destination is not near a destination charger e.g. driving on holiday in Cornwall. That will need more planning.
  • Which SC did you end up on Manchester run and how busy were they? I was recommended Stoke instead of Warrington even though I would drive right past the Warrington one on the way to my brothers - something to do with Warrington being a 'legacy site'.
I stopped at Keele. So far the superchargers have been pretty empty. I think an etiquette needs to develop that S and X drivers use the single use chargers first and leave the duel use chargers for Model 3's. Plus Tesla will fine you for 'loitering' in a bay once you are fully charged so fast charging plus loitering fines keeps the car throughput high, which will be required.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I notice nobody is missing their old ICE drivetrains, lol!

Once I drove a Tesla I realised ICE was dead and buried. It's amazing how so many people are still blissfully unaware of just how effective EVs are in real world driving, but I expect that will change dramatically over the next few years. In some ways that will be a shame, because it's great having such an effortless performance advantage over everything else around you on the road, lol!

Reactions: EVMeister

On all Teslas the brake light is triggered by an accelerometer rather than a mechanical switch. So whatever slows the car down - braking - regen - tree - the brake lights will illuminate.

There is also a system called Dynamic Braking. If you’re going over 31mph, and the car brakes severely or unexpectedly, this quickly flashes the brake lights and turns on the hazard flashers to help warn other traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
What have been the reactions to the car from other people, bearing in mind it's a rare sight on UK roads etc?

We drove from Bristol to Bromley yesterday (in our ICE car) and played a game 'Telsa Spotting' with the kids. We (I) spotted the first Tesla MS as we approached the A4. We caught glimpses of 3 M3's in central London (Hammersmith/Battersea area) and another 4 MS's. Kinda nice being in that small club!

I can imagine when another 7K or so M3's are unleashed on UK roads in next couple of months Tesla cars will be a much more common sight!

We drove from Bristol to Bromley yesterday (in our ICE car) and played a game 'Telsa Spotting' with the kids. We (I) spotted the first Tesla MS as we approached the A4. We caught glimpses of 3 M3's in central London (Hammersmith/Battersea area) and another 4 MS's. Kinda nice being in that small club!

I can imagine when another 7K or so M3's are unleashed on UK roads in next couple of months Tesla cars will be a much more common sight!

I'm based in Bromley, you might of spotted my M3P...if I actually had it at the moment. If you're in Bromley a lot it would be cool to meet up