Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range is possible :-O

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did a trip with 4 to Alton towers, fully loaded car with various bags for the drop offs after. Heated seats etc on the entire journey pretty much.

We managed 210/220 w/kWh - averaging around 70. The trip totalled 263 miles got home with 25% battery bang on. Predicting 88 more miles.

We stopped once for 5 mins and added 5kwh charge at a rapid charge so if you take that off we got home with 18%. I recon that’d be good for an extra 50 miles or so.

All in fairly impressed tbh

It will be even more impressive if you tell us you were driving a model X 75D but I am guessing its more likely an M3 LR?

I managed a journey of exactly 100 miles a few weeks ago at 225W/m in my M3LR which is pretty much what is needed for advertised range. 3 up nice weather. busy A roads and not in a rush. Never thought I would see it but there you go.

Yea, but the real world range of a LR is 348 miles - so 201Wh/mile ish :D I'll get my coat...

In fairness, even in winter, we would sometimes get around 180Wh/mile for an approx 15 mile trip, but not at 70 or with the heater on! That same trip can be in the ~160Wh/mile in summer. The heater and fan makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
I did my first long journey last night leaving from just outside Southend and driving to Cannock, a journey of about 155 miles. I left with 99% charge and arrived with 44% charge. Mainly at motorway speeds with some stop start traffic. Used the superchargers at Hilton Park to top up and was the only one there.

We managed 210/220 w/kWh - averaging around 70.

Maybe it's the gradients around here but I don't think I can manage that in the marginally more efficient SR+.

I'm thinking that average is a guess! To average 70, even on all-motorway trips, you need to be travelling over the limit for a fair amount of the time (to compensate for the other parts where you inevitably have to drop speed) and getting 210/220?

I thought I had done well with 262Wh/mile over 99 miles last week in my M3P but then found I had only averaged 43mph
You cant't get that it from the car can you? did you just use Maths or Teslafi?
Average speeds are always lower than you think. I do a regular journey on quiet A roads early in the morning and can manage 50mph average on a good day. it does not take many 30mph villages the odd lorry and a few junctions to bring the average right down

What car tested the M3 LR "real world range" at 211 miles. Tesla would not give them a car so they got one from who knows where and tested it in heavy rain (probably in the winter). I don't disagree that this might be the outcome you would get in these conditions but I think their methodology is a little flawed if they are not using consistent temperature and weather for a figure they use to compare cars! Even the M3P scored 240 on the same test.
if you read the tone of the whatcar story it almost sounds like they are punishing Telsa for not letting them have a car.
The really annoying thing is that I noticed the other day This is Money are now quoting this figure as the "real world range" of the M3 LR in a story without any of the context.
sigh

from Whatcar:
"
Real Range - 211 miles...

Logic would suggest that the Long Range version of the Model 3 would manage more miles between charges than the range-topping Performance model. After all, although the two cars officially have the same size battery, the Long Range has the advantage of smaller, more aerodynamic wheels.

Sadly, Tesla decided against providing a Model 3 Long Range for testing, so we sourced one from elsewhere and found that the battery of that particular car actually had a smaller capacity than the one in the Model 3 Performance tested previously.

This could have been down to the way the car had been recharged during its life, but whatever the reason, it contributed to a Real Range figure on the day of 211 miles, which is actually less than the Performance managed.

Our test of the Long Range was also blighted by heavy rain, meaning extra battery power would have been required to push the tyres through the standing water. Tesla has been asked to supply a car for retesting, but has so far declined.
"

You are using 70KWh as your usable capacity in that calculation. I had always hoped it was more like 73KWh

I have never found any definitive source for usable battery size. I've seen various sizes and also reference to a safety zone. I am suspicious that things possibly vary over time/version, even if its just the BMS adjusting usable/buffer split.

So I have always stuck with calculations based upon 70kWh simply because TeslaFi gives 100% efficiency averaging around 220-230Wh/mile (its based upon rated range), so choosing 225Wh/mile as 100% and with nominal 310 mile range, thats around 70kWh.

However, as Wh/mile efficiency can change, we get a battery size anywhere between 68kWh and 72kWh. So, short of a definitive reference, I just stick to 70kWh and 225Wh/mile for consistency knowing that if car shows 225Wh/mile, TeslaFi is going to report close to 100%.

this is a really interesting thread - so I've never driven electric, or looked at so many stats in my life!

I'd love to know how to drive more efficiently and what i should be aiming for.... I found the standard regen breaking way too sharp, as I stopped waaaay short of the T-junction so that got put thraight to 'low' again - and I know I need to just put it on, and learn to use it as no doubt that will help a lot. My current average is 72% efficiency and I'm pretty low on the bell curve on that. I don't have a huge long commute and will city drive mainly 0-6 miles a day, then do 4/5 hr motor way trips once a month ish.

Assuming everything else that would burn petrol burns kilowatts too.... any other tips?!

I went to and from an address 3 miles from office and the journey there (up hill) and only me in the car was 463 Wh/mile and my efficiency was 47.6%

The trip back (down hill but with some decent accelerations I wouldn't normally do, to show a passenger.... and this was 181 Wh/mile and 121.8% efficiency which was surprising to say the least!

weather the same, and internal and ext temps the same as was aircon.....

how are people AVERAGING over 100% efficiency.... are they only driving downhill??

Does anyone have a link to an article on this, or even a video - I'm keen to learn and maximise what I get out of the car, but also how it works (science geek!)

Nothing more to it than being light on the pedal really. Everything else; temperature, gradient, weather, road conditions, speed etc is out of your control. And it's certainly nothing that would warrant you not turning on the heating if you were cold!

how are people AVERAGING over 100% efficiency.... are they only driving downhill??

Your regen setting won't help - this is also relevant to cooler weather too when regen is limited. Driving style obviously and cabin space heater [seat heaters are pretty good], fan speed and short trips are particularly bad.

There are some things that you can do to mitigate these, but then it comes down to do you take the energy needed from the battery possibly charged at cheap rate/low emissions, or from the grid when electricity may not be so favourable cost and environmentally.

Reactions: M3-Newbie
My M3P will only get that sort of efficiency at 50 mph through roadworks in the warm weather.

My summer average on M3P (stealth) with mixed driving (3/4 highway) doing 70mph when on highway averaged 230 wh/mi. That includes A/C and occasional bad weather.

It’s not the “P” that reduces the range, its those *sugar* 20” tires.

My Model X Raven LR is doing about 280 wh/mi. And that includes some towing. Probably get 260-270 wh/mi if wasn’t doing any towing. 20” OEM Wheels.