Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real world range of Performance model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my performance model 3 and I'm getting more total range from my model S 75 than the model 3. I've tried driving like grandma in the PM3 and able to get it down to 275 watt per mile but I'm still losing about 15 miles every 50 miles of driving. I know having the 20" rims aren't as efficient as the aeros but this ridiculous.

It’s not the wheels, it is the tires. (Probably that is what you meant.) Not that that helps you... 275Wh/mi, if sustained, is extraordinarily good! That’s 270 miles range or so!

Since you got the Performance, it is a relatively insignificant price to pay to get one or two sets of extra 18” aftermarket wheels and tires. If you’re in a snowy climate you probably want one set for winter and another set of LRR “all seasons” (MXM4s would be great) for road trips. If you don’t care about snow, you just need one set. If you want to compromise and don’t mind sliding a bit, you could try to find a set of “all season snow” tires (can’t remember the terminology that is used) that are low rolling resistance. Either way it is just a few thousand dollars and some storage space and then you’re set - should bring you close to 300 mile range, or 250Wh/mile in mild conditions without climate control use.

Reactions: evpulse and truotn
I just got my performance model 3 and I'm getting more total range from my model S 75 than the model 3. I've tried driving like grandma in the PM3 and able to get it down to 275 watt per mile but I'm still losing about 15 miles every 50 miles of driving. I know having the 20" rims aren't as efficient as the aeros but this ridiculous.

I noticed the same when I first drove my P3D, it is getting better now. If you have not charged all the way to 100%, I would recommend doing that doing. The BMS (Battery Management System) will slowly start learning and understanding your overall battery capacity. I have so far charged to 100% 2 times now in the past month or so and I was able to get 250 miles in the last instance. Note: Not only do I have 20" wheels, they are custom after market (Vossen), but also in a staggered setup where the rear tires are 285 wide :), I have done everything to kill the efficiency :). So far I'm happy with the setup, have another long drive starting tomorrow and will see how many miles I can pull it off.

Reactions: truotn

275 watt per mile sounds great compared to our 350 watt per mile average in our Ludicrous 2015 MS P85D with the sporty Plus Suspension. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining since 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds via Ludicrous power connected to super sticky staggered 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on Tesla Arachnid wheels is worth every watt per mile lost in the name of efficiency.

Ludicrous P85D = more Watts for Smiles :D

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
I noticed the same when I first drove my P3D, it is getting better now. If you have not charged all the way to 100%, I would recommend doing that doing. The BMS (Battery Management System) will slowly start learning and understanding your overall battery capacity. I have so far charged to 100% 2 times now in the past month or so and I was able to get 250 miles in the last instance. Note: Not only do I have 20" wheels, they are custom after market (Vossen), but also in a staggered setup where the rear tires are 285 wide :), I have done everything to kill the efficiency :). So far I'm happy with the setup, have another long drive starting tomorrow and will see how many miles I can pull it off.
Your model 3 looks awesome!!!

I am almost in the same boat. 20” stock wheels, driving always set to sport, etc. I will say it is a little disappointing to get about half the rated miles per charge.

With stock 20" wheels you should get better efficiency than mine. What are you averaging on KW/hr ? I have so far averaged 305 kw/hr for 1600 miles.
I’m not exactly sure. I’m using the Stats App but have trouble understanding it. Not sure if this helps but I only have 561 miles on the vehicle and have added 138 KWh.

260-F8-AE6-0959-4-DC7-9-AF1-F918-A0445394.png

Edit: Actually, when I looked again, I have 831 mi so far.

I am almost in the same boat. 20” stock wheels, driving always set to sport, etc. I will say it is a little disappointing to get about half the rated miles per charge.

I just did a 160 mile all highway/interstate road trip the other day and it ate up 260 miles of range to get it done. It was raining on the way back so I was using the wipers (not full speed the whole time), but had to crank the front defrost several times to keep the insides of the windows from fogging up. Even with having to use those accessories it's ridiculous that I'm having to sweat out the battery life and whether I'm going to be able to get home from a 160 mile trip when I started with 300 miles of range in this thing. I was averaging less than 70mph through the trip.

Ha, you CA guys are wimps. ;) It's been a mild winter here so far, usually temps that night would have been in the teens or 20's.
Mild at 40 F!:eek::eek: Here I am at 88F right now, heading outside for a fe laps in my pool. 40F is frigid!! Nobody sane wants such conditions. :oops: I just realized the whole world will be either under water or replicating my weather now. On second thought, I hope your weather does get colder before it gets warmer again.

I just did a 160 mile all highway/interstate road trip the other day and it ate up 260 miles of range to get it done. It was raining on the way back so I was using the wipers (not full speed the whole time), but had to crank the front defrost several times to keep the insides of the windows from fogging up. Even with having to use those accessories it's ridiculous that I'm having to sweat out the battery life and whether I'm going to be able to get home from a 160 mile trip when I started with 300 miles of range in this thing. I was averaging less than 70mph through the trip.
What was your wh/mi for the trip?

I’m not exactly sure. I’m using the Stats App but have trouble understanding it. Not sure if this helps but I only have 561 miles on the vehicle and have added 138 KWh.

020145-FF-3-CD3-4509-B597-AECC9-C41-BB02.png

So how bad is it?

I don’t feel so bad now. I’m averaging around 72% but the efficiency gauge goes up to 150% so I thought I was doing terrible. Eventually after I get tired of hitting the pedal in sport mode, I’ll change to chill and work on efficiency. I just feel like, why? I bought this car to have fun. When cars with loud ICE motors pull up next to me and rev their motors, I laugh when the light turns green and I’m gone. It’s another reason why I haven’t worried about badging the car. I really don’t want people to know it’s a P3D+. They will find out.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am averaging 350 wh/m in my Model 3 AWD with aero wheels on a ~10 mile daily commute. Nearly all of my driving has been in 30-50 degree weather, and I do not have an enclosed garage at home so the heater has to run pretty hard to get the temperature up from 20-40 degrees (in the car) to 68 degrees. Plus, periodically (once or twice a day), I like to accelerate quickly from 0-30 mph (sort of half-flooring it) at stoplights. I suspect my energy usage would be considerably lower if I had an enclosed garage at home.

Based on my experience, there is no way I would buy a mid-range or short-range Model 3 in an area with cooler temperatures during fall and winter. Although I enjoy the AWD’s quick acceleration on a daily basis, I sometimes wish I had opted for the single motor long range.

Last edited:
Hi there! This is my first post here. I just took delivery of my Model 3P two days ago, but I have been driving EV's since 2011 (2012 Volt followed by a 2016 Volt) so I know how to drive for range...NOT that I plan on doing that all of the time with this car! Yesterday I drove the car to the Detailer to have a clear bra installed and the drive was exactly 50 miles -- 90% highway. When I left my house the car showed a range of 305 miles (I had done a full charge...I know not to do this regularly for daily driving). My drive included a few all-out accelerations (sooo fun!) and cruising at 72 mph on the highway. When I got to the Detailer range was showing 253...so, that is pretty darn close to the 50 actual miles (a drop of the calculated range of 52 miles over 50 actual miles driven).

On my 2016 Volt with a stated range of 53 EV miles, i have routinely gotten between 60 and 65 miles with my best mileage being 72 (second Spring of ownership, medium speed drive and no climate control needed). Of course the Volt was not a car that was intended for performance. I am certain that my Tesla is going to be pushed a LOT harder.

BTW, I am also definitely NOT a Hyper-Miler. I have been fortunate enough to have owned some really fabulous "driver's cars" including two Ferraris (360 and 430) and drove them very hard. My automotive life has always been a "Tale of Two Cities" -- the most environmentally responsible car I could own for commuting and then a performance car for fun. What is so awesome about the Model 3P is that for the first time in my life, these two sides of my driving personality are embodied in the same car!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I am averaging 86% efficiency in my P3D+ according to Stats. But I have an unfair advantage, being in San Diego.
Hi there! This is my first post here. I just took delivery of my Model 3P two days ago, but I have been driving EV's since 2011 (2012 Volt followed by a 2016 Volt) so I know how to drive for range...NOT that I plan on doing that all of the time with this car! Yesterday I drove the car to the Detailer to have a clear bra installed and the drive was exactly 50 miles -- 90% highway. When I left my house the car showed a range of 305 miles (I had done a full charge...I know not to do this regularly for daily driving). My drive included a few all-out accelerations (sooo fun!) and cruising at 72 mph on the highway. When I got to the Detailer range was showing 253...so, that is pretty darn close to the 50 actual miles (a drop of the calculated range of 52 miles over 50 actual miles driven).

On my 2016 Volt with a stated range of 53 EV miles, i have routinely gotten between 60 and 65 miles with my best mileage being 72 (second Spring of ownership, medium speed drive and no climate control needed). Of course the Volt was not a car that was intended for performance. I am certain that my Tesla is going to be pushed a LOT harder.

BTW, I am also definitely NOT a Hyper-Miler. I have been fortunate enough to have owned some really fabulous "driver's cars" including two Ferraris (360 and 430) and drove them very hard. My automotive life has always been a "Tale of Two Cities" -- the most environmentally responsible car I could own for commuting and then a performance car for fun. What is so awesome about the Model 3P is that for the first time in my life, these two sides of my driving personality are embodied in the same car!

Impressive result. Right around 250Wh/mi, ~96% efficiency, which is very good with the 20” wheels (requires ideal conditions even with the most careful driving). How did it work out for the return trip?

Rain / snow are pretty bad, so is any side / headwind. Range loss is clearly higher than with my previous RWD - even if now I am using the same winter tires (19"). But the ride is exhilarating :).