Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really!! 2017 Chevy Bolt Motortrend Car of the Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read the article from Motortrend naming the Chevy Bolt the 2017 Car of the Year.

Chevrolet Bolt EV is the 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year - Motor Trend

If this is true, next year the Model 3 should be named Car of the Century! I know the Bolt deserves some credit, but the way Motortrend minimalize the significant of Tesla and the MS / M3 to the auto industry makes me sick. To call the Bolt a "Game Changer" is a short sided, when it will likely not sell a fraction of what M3 has & will sell. Nor will it likely have the impact on the global auto industry the way the Model 3 will.

"This is a direct challenge for Tesla to make the Model 3 anything near the Bolt EV for the same price," executive editor Mark Rechtin said. "Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid."
I sure Elon is shaking in his boots ;)

I think this is great news. The fact that the Motortrend COTY 2013 was the Model S is clear evidence that the tide is turning. As Tesla enthusiasts, to be anything other than pleased with this announcement would be a negative for the whole EV revolution we are seeing. After all, 2015 was the Camaro....sigh.....

It's odd to me that so many of the press and even TMC members believe that Elon and Tesla are threatened by any of this (other BEVs)coming to market. Elon has said on numerous interviews how he welcomes the new models and is excited to see the major auto manufacturers getting into the mix. It's so refreshing to see someone that is driven by the desire to have a positive change and raise the bar rather than just more zeros to his net worth.

Bravo GM and Bolt, let's see what you're made of Audi/VW/Porsche, Mercedes, Toyota, Karma, Jaguar etc. Now let's have a look at the final Model 3 prototype and the Model Y renderings and let's help "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.". If you're not sure who I'm quoting in the previous sentence, google it.

Fully agree - Bravo GM! The more high-quality EV's in the world, the more they get accepted, the faster we stop burning fossil fuels to make it to work in the morning. And everything I've read says the Bolt is a high-quality EV. Whether it's as good as a Model 3 is a moot point; it's a great inexpensive EV compared with the existing competition (Nissan Leaf, BMW I3, and a bunch of cars no ones ever heard of). I don't include a Model S because no one sees the S as a competitor to the Bolt.

Hopefully, MT can see their way to having the COTY be an electric vehicle two years in a row.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV vs. 2016 Tesla Model S 60 Comparison
''Toss the Bolt’s puppy-dog driving dynamics into the mix with its stellar efficiency and family-friendly packaging, and the choice becomes pretty clear: the Chevrolet Bolt EV wins.''
-MT

The Bolt is even better than the Model S. Model 3 doesn't even stand a chance against the amazing Bolt econobox. I wonder how much advertising money MT gets from GM.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
I'm sure the Bolt is pretty good compared with what's come before it in its price range, my biggest issue is it's mid November in 2016, and the Bolt is just starting production and haven't been delivered to customers yet, so does it really qualify for a car of 2016? For the good of all things EV I hope there will be as many Bolt on the road by the end of 2016 as there were Model X by the end of 2015

I'm sure the Bolt is pretty good compared with what's come before it in its price range

Bolt is an excellent $22k small hot hatch.

Not a very good $37k car.

GM has 90k or so Federal Credits plus the draw down period to share between Bolt,Volt and CT6 PHEV.

So the "masses" are not getting a $30k Bolt.

When Toyota and Honda sell ~400k Camry and Accord per year in the USA.

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
I love how when reporters talk about the Bolt they say "price tag of $29,995"...then later say AFTER $7500 tax credit.

When Tesla says "$35,000 car, and up to $7500 tax credit. There is a reason you dont say a $27,500 car. Its not true. Well the Model S has won many awards and accolades this year. Next year it will be the M3!

I love how when reporters talk about the Bolt they say "price tag of $29,995"...then later say AFTER $7500 tax credit.

When Tesla says "$35,000 car, and up to $7500 tax credit.
Tesla's Website always puts the after incentive price first, and even worse, they include $10,000 in gas savings in the price they display. If anything the Bolt is the one being more honest here.

Tesla's Website always puts the after incentive price first, and even worse, they include $10,000 in gas savings in the price they display. If anything the Bolt is the one being more honest here.
Yeah, but for the Model 3 specifically, Tesla had been pretty adamant about quoting the pre-incentive price to the media, which is why you keep hearing it being referred to as a $35k car and practically never as a $27.5k car.

I remember this leading to confusion by some journalists that reported that the Bolt will have a lower MSRP than the Model 3.

Edit: I looked at the new design studio and now they show the full cash price before incentives ($66k for S60). You have to click "more details" to see the incentives and gas savings included. So much less misleading now.
Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla