Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really cold tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that thought plugging it in helped keep the batteries warm. I had my car plugged in all night last night and all day today, and other than the standard recharge, it consumed NO power from the outlet. It was -24 (F) this morning outside, and in my garage it was warmer, perhaps about zero degrees (F). The two spikes in the graph below are standard recharging.

Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 12.54.29 PM.png

For those that thought plugging it in helped keep the batteries warm. I had my car plugged in all night last night and all day today, and other than the standard recharge, it consumed NO power from the outlet.

Your driving and charging yesterday probably kept the battery warm enough that heating has not been necessary yet, but keep watching. My garage has been at -15 ˚C since midnight. Battery warmer turned on 03:59 for 14 minutes, 06:35 for 13 minutes, 9:09 for 14 minutes and 11:42 for 12 minutes.

03:59 was when the cabin temperature hit -10 ˚C. The car has been sitting in the garage since Saturday night, so it is safe to assume that the battery temperature and the cabin temperature are about the same, so my interpretation is that the battery heater kicks in at -10 ˚C battery temperature.

03:59 was when the cabin temperature hit -10 ˚C. The car has been sitting in the garage since Saturday night, so it is safe to assume that the battery temperature and the cabin temperature are about the same, so my interpretation is that the battery heater kicks in at -10 ˚C battery temperature.

Interesting, I did not consider reading the temp from within the car. I was looking at a garage thermometer instead. When I pull up the temp in the car from my phone, it shows -9 ˚C (or 15 ˚F) inside the garage, when the outdoor air temperature is -13 ˚F or -25 ˚C. If -10 ˚C is really the trigger for automatic plug-in heating, then this explains it. I'll monitor it overnight to see whether I get any heating from having it plugged in.

Left Lyndhurst for Madison, NJ this morning with temp ranging between 1-3 degrees Fahrenheit - ~30 mile commute consumed ~50 miles of range.

Regen was limited at the start and the parking brake was frozen when I initially put the car in drive - "parking brake fault" message came on the screen which I relayed to service. I toggled it between park/drive and it cleared.

I always wondered is it necessary to wait around for the "engine" of a BEV to warm up in cold weather before driving off in the same way that this needs to be done with an ICE vehicle?

I never really know what to do with my Volt so i always end up driving EXTREMELY conservitively the 1st mile or so, to allow the Volt to "stretch its legs" so to speak..

Just chiming in here to wonder how much I'll have to pay everyone NEVER TO MENTION WIND CHILL again in this forum. People - as others also correctly have stated: the concept of wind chill has zero bearing on the functioning of a piece of machinery or electronics.

/Rant off
Ok, I'll bite.

Didn't we have an extensive discussion a bit back about the impact of cold weather "sucking the heat out" of the Model S main battery pack while in motion (as the consistently cold air passes by), causing an increase in the energy consumption used to maintain battery temperature? Or did I just dream that up?

If you're parked and the wind is blowing at 30mph wouldn't that cause a similar effect to a car travelling in no wind at 30mph?

Seems that a term such as "wind chill" might be a good way to capture that concept.

Well I gave my battery pack a good beat down this morning. I took it outside in the cold, and said "WHOSE YOUR DADDY NOW?"

Prewarmed the car. Started with around 201 miles.

It was about 7 degrees most of the way to NYC with probably the biggest headwind I've driven through to date. I felt like I was on an open bridge with the car being pushed left and right from the wind. Had heat on 72-74 for about 85% of the commute. A few times I turned range mode off to heat up the interior faster then reset it back. A couple times I turned it off completely as I was getting low on battery but for the most part it was set to 72 on range mode.

Result is that used 51.4kW to go 101.1 miles, just over averaging 500Wh/mi. It was actually 540Wh/mi until I got to about 93 miles which is 495/LT area. I was going pretty fast as usual until then. Once I hit the tunnel city area my Wh/mi dropped down to under 400Wh/mi bring the avg down until I hit the parking garage with 8 miles remaining.

Glad I got a P85. S60 certainly wouldn't cut it. Definitely takes the cake for my most inefficient sustained driving record. I should probably drive more responsibly. Probably. Doesn't mean I will.

image.jpeg

I had a long day in the car - getting home with 14 rated miles and an air temp of 6f. The car threw a notice saying I need to charge ASAP and not let the battery get colder. I wish I'd taken a picture, but I was just happy to get out of the car after a really long day.

For the disabled regen issue I wonder if we need a simulated regen feature - uses the hydraulic brakes to create the same behavior.

I've found it pretty easy to watch the yellow bar and adjust accordingly. If the regen is off, it's even easier--just use the brake pedal. I'm not in favour of adding complexity to the braking system by tacking on regen simulation.

Toyota has tried for almost twenty years to get it right, and they don't have it perfect 100% yet.