Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended in Sherwood…Damage Guestimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RMan

Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2015
Central Oregon
We’ve driven a Tesla since 2015. Today my wife was rear ended. Will poor YJunior (14,000 miles, 2021 Performance Y) be repaired. Your estimate for repairs or totaled? And incidentally first appraisal date available is April 28.
7D704D7A-7602-49E6-90AC-5B341F300A7A.jpeg

Pictures not very instructive but we had a similar event where my wife was rear-ended in our M3P. Replaced the rear bumper and trunk hood. Estimate was under 4k. Ended up a bit more but not too bad. I don't know the total because I didn't pay. A bit inconvenient but good as new.

A better picture. Hatch lid has been shifted to the right. Gap on driver side is about an inch. The perpetrator received more significant damage. Had difficulty finding rental car, was told by Hertz they only had three cars available in Portland metro. First available appointment to obtain quote from Tesla authorized shop is April 28.

B4DE9AA1-4597-45E8-ADAE-51CB7013DC43.jpeg

Attachments

• 125E16CF-3A9B-4E1B-82B6-861420FE8815.jpeg
    125E16CF-3A9B-4E1B-82B6-861420FE8815.jpeg
    862 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: IdaX
If just that rear-end damage can you not drive it? Ours was drivable until repair. I got quotes by submitting pictures through the Tesla app and was then referred to Tesla-certified repair shops. Several of which gave quotes remotely.

Last edited:
I think the battery is okay, but that would obviously be key. Assuming it’s fine, you’ve got hatch, sensors, bumpers…I’m going to say that’s $12K in parts and labor. My Tesla was rear ended a few years ago and it was $6K for similar, though not as extensive, damage.

I’m surprised on the April 28 date for estimates…that’s WAY out there! Hope it gets moved up for you!

I’m also shocked the other car received so much damage in the front end. I would have assumed the Tesla would look worse given the shape of the other car.

The saga continues. Frustrated with the April 28 date we checked with all the Tesla Certified Shops in Oregon and we’re able to meet today, April 17 with Old Dominion in Eugene. They will not provide an estimate until they actually open up the car. First appointment available is September 22. I was told to expect at least 2 months for parts and work to be completed. Further was told State Farm doesn’t understand Teslas and to expect to pay 20 to 30% out of pocket. We’ve survived with one car long enough. Called State Farm to authorize the rental of a model Y thru November 22 and have not heard back. Total cost of the rental is $13000. Repairs plus diminished value plus rental, sure seems like totaling the car would be the best choice.

• Informative
what are you driving in the mean time? Did the at fault's driver provide you a rental car?

I just settled my claim by heavily discounting my M3P and letting the insurance company buy it from me. That way have the cash now to buy another one which to me seems quicker than waiting for repairs

Our car is deemed safe to drive although it is ugly, so no rental until it goes into the shop. On Friday we were told the body shop received a big order of parts from Tesla but until their Tesla team confirms all the correct parts have been received they will not schedule repairs. To date, State Farm has been unwilling to discuss totaling the car. I’d certainly take a hit to get this behind me.

Car went into Crash Champions on July 26. Original estimate was $11,500. Additional parts and second estimate in mid September. Car is ready for pick up today, at second estimate of $16,500. State Farm supplied a mini van for the 100 days the car was in the shop. Currently exploring Diminished Value. State Farm claims they do not recognize Diminished Value but will listen to my argument.

Rental car thru State Farm was a fiasco. Told by one rep SF would pay for a Model Y. Reserved one, authorization from SF was for $40 per day. Called SF was told in Oregon insurance would only cover replacement transportation, not “like” transportation. Drove a Pacifica mini van 100 days. Bigger battle to fight regarding Diminished Value.

• Informative
Reactions: JaxonDM