Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch opening while driving and shattering back window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed my son's luggage from the trunk of my Model X and while seated in the driver's seat I closed the rear hatch using the buttons on the display. There was no red on the display indicating that the hatch was not closed. I drove the car into the garage and the hatch opens and shattered the rear glass. I have an estimate that this will cost around $2000 to repair from my service center. The car is a 2017 ModelX and There was never an alarm that sounded or any red on the display that the hatch was not closed properly. The hatch opened as I drove the car into the garage because if it had been opened before I drove the car in then it would have hit the gutter on the overhang. The hatch opened under the overhang because the edge of the spoiler has white paint. When I bought the car in 2017, I had issues with the falcon wing doors sensing phantom objects and the hatch would not close properly. These were supposedly fixed but I recall the technicians explanation of the fix on the back hatch did not make any sense. The key was in my pocket so I did not touch it but I have looked up other cases of this issue and of course Tesla says it was the driver's fault and their data indicates that the owner pressed the key fob etc. Does anyone know how to contact someone at Tesla to see if the issue was truly a phantom pressure on the key fob or an issue with the rear hatch controls? I do not trust my dealer because I also purchased a Model 3 last year and I ordered the Model 3 with FSD capabilities and even had an order number to prove it but the dealer denied this. Tesla's reaction was to remove the proof of my order and now there is just nothing on the Model 3 in terms of the details for my purchase in my Tesla app. I fortunately [printed a copy. My faith in Tesla has been sorely tested with the treatment I have received from the dealers and the company.

Reactions: 1 person
The key was in my pocket so I did not touch it but I have looked up other cases of this issue and of course Tesla says it was the driver's fault and their data indicates that the owner pressed the key fob etc. Does anyone know how to contact someone at Tesla to see if the issue was truly a phantom pressure on the key fob or an issue with the rear hatch controls?

Yeah fraid so mate. The FWD Doors buttons on the fob are another famous "easy to press" example.
The chance that "it really was you" is close to 100%. The fob ist quite sensitive. You could call another Service Center and ask if they can go through the car's logs (you have to be quick though and you must tell them the date and time as exactly as possible). The car's logs will clearly tell what happened. If a fob-press was indeed recorded, you have "proof" that "it was you" even though it was fully unintentional.

If it is any consolation. I had an "accidental fob key press" yesterday myself. I damaged the paint on the rear hatch spoiler as it hit a very thin piece of metal hanging from the ceiling in a parking garage which is very high (so the upper sensor said "let's open up the doors all the way up) but this small metal strip was missed by the sensor. BANG! :(
I need to get a paint repair kit to "fix" the scratch :oops:

On the one side I like the MX Fobs as it's really "high tech", on the other side, my old car's fob was "stupid" but therefore "safe"...

Reactions: MXLRplus
wait - lemme get this straight - a car was IN MOTION and by pressing a remote control button, the glass gets shattered?

design problem! seriously.

if (car_speed == 0) {
if (button_pressed()) {
open_hatch();
}
}

usually there are safety conditions to stop bad things like this. you should NOT BE TO BLAME as a user, if a button got pressed while the car was in motion - and then something bad happened.

software bug. not kidding. unfair to blame user.

if that was me, I would not accept blame and I'd even sue tesla if they refused to admit fault.

...unless I'm missing something - the button should have been ignored while 'car_state == driving'

Operator Error sucks. I've done stuff like that before, I just backed into a curb this week and because of the steep drop off into a storm drain, I scrapped one of my rear wheels on the storm drain lip....arrrrggghhhh.... the key FOB advice is valid too... you may have pinched it in your pants...done that one too..

It seems Ford drivers have OE often:

Last edited:
Do you have glass coverage on your insurance? I had the garage door automatically close on car while backing up. Cracked fwd glass. Tesla claimed car did nothing wrong, my auto insurance covered glass less my deductible. I since turned off auto garage open/close.

Reactions: forkee
again, I disagree - its the car designer's job to ensure that mistakes like this don't happen.

please stop appologizing for tesla on this. they are not always right, and here, they are wrong.

NO button press while the car is in motion should ever trigger a catastrophic event like this. that's a design FAIL, guys. as someone who writes car software for a living, listen to me on this.

please stop appologizing for tesla on this. they are not always right, and here, they are wrong.

As far as I know, Tesla's can drive with doors open up to 5mph or something (there is a youtube video about somebody testing how fast the MX can drive with the FWD's open, it's slow. Anyway, there must be code that allows that (if speed < X then allow it) . That's a conscious design decision.
(My old Audi A8 allowed something similar when opening the trunk from the cabin, it could crawl without complaining).

You appear to disagree with that decision which is your right (it's a free country). But don't get all worked up about mate.

Reactions: jboy210
Fob mistake. However have done this myself and there are plenty of visual and audible warnings. Ultimately user error. Plus how can you miss the audible noise that comes in from an open trunk?
T=Do you own a Model X? There is no audible chime for door open. Even the Model 3 has a chime if the door is slightly ajar or open. Saw this just the other day. I pressed the display button and the hatch indicated it was closed. The display usually indicates yellow if a door is open. This was not the case. The hatch was supposedly closed but then opened as I drove onto the garage. Why would anyone design a car that would open door while it was in motion? I truly believe that Tesla will do much better as a car company once it is acquired by a car company. Tesla does not ever accept any blame. I checked the internet and another owner had doors open while driving on the highway at 60mph. Tesla again said had to be pressure on key fob. But why would the doors open in unsafe conditions. The doors are supposed to have sensors that prevent it from opening too much when you are close to a wall so why would you allow doors to open while the car is in motions?

Operator Error sucks. I've done stuff like that before, I just backed into a curb this week and because of the steep drop off into a storm drain, I scrapped one of my rear wheels on the storm drain lip....arrrrggghhhh.... the key FOB advice is valid too... you may have pinched it in your pants...done that one too..

It seems Ford drivers have OE often:

Besides being a Tesla devotee, how does this shed light on the issue. Not a single one of those videos applies to the situation.

Reactions: Eclectic
Why would anyone design a car that would open door while it was in motion?

the fanboys who always make excuses for tesla don't understand this. that's fine, not everyone is in the field.

those of us who are, GET THIS and take it SERIOUSLY.

its a p1 bug (priority 1; showstopper). if I was QA for this product, I'd insist that no new updates go out until this one is in the include list.

damage to property is not the only thing, people could also get hurt. 100% UNACCEPTABLE.

like I said, some of us take this crap seriously. tesla, sigh, you need to step up your game. its the last few percent that take the longest; but are you even TRACKING this as a P1 bug? I bet they don't even think its a bug.

perhaps they'll only fix it if they get sued. and they would likely lose in court, too, if this was made public.

tesla: just fix it, ok?

Yeah fraid so mate. The FWD Doors buttons on the fob are another famous "easy to press" example.
The chance that "it really was you" is close to 100%. The fob ist quite sensitive. You could call another Service Center and ask if they can go through the car's logs (you have to be quick though and you must tell them the date and time as exactly as possible). The car's logs will clearly tell what happened. If a fob-press was indeed recorded, you have "proof" that "it was you" even though it was fully unintentional.

If it is any consolation. I had an "accidental fob key press" yesterday myself. I damaged the paint on the rear hatch spoiler as it hit a very thin piece of metal hanging from the ceiling in a parking garage which is very high (so the upper sensor said "let's open up the doors all the way up) but this small metal strip was missed by the sensor. BANG! :(
I need to get a paint repair kit to "fix" the scratch :oops:

On the one side I like the MX Fobs as it's really "high tech", on the other side, my old car's fob was "stupid" but therefore "safe"...
When Is et up the appointment for repair they did not even ask about looking at the data. Is there some type of customer support at Tesla where I could request this? I really don't understand how they can be so high tech but provide so little support to customers.

the fanboys who always make excuses for tesla don't understand this. that's fine, not everyone is in the field.

those of us who are, GET THIS and take it SERIOUSLY.

its a p1 bug (priority 1; showstopper). if I was QA for this product, I'd insist that no new updates go out until this one is in the include list.

damage to property is not the only thing, people could also get hurt. 100% UNACCEPTABLE.

like I said, some of us take this crap seriously. tesla, sigh, you need to step up your game. its the last few percent that take the longest; but are you even TRACKING this as a P1 bug? I bet they don't even think its a bug.

perhaps they'll only fix it if they get sued. and they would likely lose in court, too, if this was made public.

tesla: just fix it, ok?
Thanks for your input. I have experienced the same Fanboy response when I had an issue with another high tech appliance my Miele washing machine. When I tried to warn people about the high cost of service and lack of repair service in rural areas in the US I would get flamed. This was many years ago but I could not believe how angry some people would get when they never even owned the appliance.I knew I would get no where but really wondered if anyone had any advice on who to contact. I have very little faith in my service center in Devon, PA. After the stunt they pulled with our Model 3 order I doubt they will address the issue.

Reactions: Eclectic
This is such an easy fix that there isn't a good way to rationalize it. There are a hundred different ways to improve it.

I will let you in on a dirty secret. Lots of cars open the hatch with the fob/phone/display. Two are direct EV competitors to the Tesla Model X/S. The Tesla is the only one with this problem that I am aware of, and I've tested/owned a great number of cars.

It can be fixed easily. Perhaps 15 minutes of coding. One possible solution so the "It's A Feature" crowd can still retain the defect: Add a radio button: Operate Doors On Confirm. The infamous "Are You Sure (Y/N)" like you see with the Tesla Homelink (or MSDOS). If the car is moving you need to press a confirm button to open a door. I'd like one also for When Locked.

Maybe for those men who carry murses (man purses) it's not a thing. For the rest who put keys in their pockets which might contain other things? Bad ergo is bad. Lack of forethought. Inability to recognize a design fault. Who at Tesla has never seen a man wear pants?

Trivia - Why don't other brands have the issue? Their buttons on the fob are recessed. They simply don't activate by just being inside a pants pocket.

an 'are you sure' is fine, but also could be 'pocket dialed'.

its NOT HARD to know the speed of the vehicle. and that 'driver is present' (a very standard state test for callback routines, when events happen). and if vehicle_speed is not zero, do not open any auto-liftgates!

really really REALLY simple.

sheesh.