Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my shelf in white this afternoon. It looks awesome and is a perfect match to the white interior. It honestly looks like it could be a factory option. I do plan on adding the mentioned modifications to the mounting points just for quicker removal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email Steve, he has been great and has kept me updated along the way.
20201002_170153.jpg
20201002_165845.jpg
20201002_165639.jpg

Last edited:
Received my shelf in white this afternoon. It looks awesome and is a perfect match to the white interior. It honestly looks like it could be a factory option. I do plan on adding the mentioned modifications to the mounting points just for quicker removal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email Steve, he has been great and has kept me updated along the way.View attachment 594756 View attachment 594757 View attachment 594758

I like it a lot and want one I just don’t like how it hangs from the headrest pushing into the material.

Reactions: gunthermic
View attachment 595666 The owner recommended these clips to me and I think they are a much more elegant solution and really makes it easy to take off compared to putting the headrests through the loops which required removing and re-installing the headrests each time:

HOUSE DAY Houseday Car Seat Headrest Hooks for Car

The loops won’t touch the seats with these.

I just picked up a set of these for my shelf and they work great. Combined with the carabiners on the back it takes just a few seconds to completely remove the shelf now.

Hi Everyone,

With the help of a few customers like Jabnlab and Frankvb (Thank you both!), we have continued developing the ModelYShelf making it easier to install and take down than any of our cargo shelves ever. The headrest hooks for the forward attachment point and the carabineers for the lifting strings means we now have a no drill, no evidence mounting system and the ModelYShelf can be installed in the car in about 1 minute, then taken down as needed and reinstalled in about 10 seconds. And I am happy to announce that the new parts will be included in the ModelYShelf package from today on. The suppliers have come thought and everything is here and ready to go. Combine that with the new colors and textures available for the covering, and I couldn't be more proud!

Hi Everyone,

With the help of a few customers like Jabnlab and Frankvb (Thank you both!), we have continued developing the ModelYShelf making it easier to install and take down than any of our cargo shelves ever. The headrest hooks for the forward attachment point and the carabineers for the lifting strings means we now have a no drill, no evidence mounting system and the ModelYShelf can be installed in the car in about 1 minute, then taken down as needed and reinstalled in about 10 seconds. And I am happy to announce that the new parts will be included in the ModelYShelf package from today on. The suppliers have come thought and everything is here and ready to go. Combine that with the new colors and textures available for the covering, and I couldn't be more proud!

Is this posted on a Website with current pictures etc?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Are there any plans to rework the support hooks at the hatch end?

I am working on a couple of possibilities for these, but there are some serious limitations due to the design/shape of the rear of the car, the hatch opening, and inside of the trunk area. If folks are willing to have a bracket that is screwed in to the sidewall from below, that is very possible. I don't like designs that force folks to drill holes in things and don't believe that many folks want to do this, but it is something that was considered and could be done.

The brackets aren't actually necessary if you do not want to use them. Without them, when the hatch was closed, the tail end of the ModelYShelf would simply fall on top of anything you had in the trunk and cover it. If nothing was in the trunk, the tail end would rest on the floor. The brackets would still be included with the kit, you can simply choose not to install them.

HTH,

Steve

Received my shelf in white this afternoon. It looks awesome and is a perfect match to the white interior. It honestly looks like it could be a factory option. I do plan on adding the mentioned modifications to the mounting points just for quicker removal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email Steve, he has been great and has kept me updated along the way.View attachment 594756 View attachment 594757 View attachment 594758
Where can I order this?

I am working on a couple of possibilities for these, but there are some serious limitations due to the design/shape of the rear of the car, the hatch opening, and inside of the trunk area. If folks are willing to have a bracket that is screwed in to the sidewall from below, that is very possible. I don't like designs that force folks to drill holes in things and don't believe that many folks want to do this, but it is something that was considered and could be done.

The brackets aren't actually necessary if you do not want to use them. Without them, when the hatch was closed, the tail end of the ModelYShelf would simply fall on top of anything you had in the trunk and cover it. If nothing was in the trunk, the tail end would rest on the floor. The brackets would still be included with the kit, you can simply choose not to install them.

HTH,

Steve
Just doing a common curtsey:

At the bottom of your page you have a link to your email to order and the S is not part of the Hyperlink sir.

S[email protected]

HTH,

Steve
What about putting a 'foot' on either side? Something small just to hold up the hatch. Like a rectangular plastic maybe 3mm x 8mm x 12-14 inches(or whatever height is needed) that supports the lid. Spring loaded to fold down. With a catch / latch to keep them folded up against the bottom of the lid when not in use or not desired.

Reactions: frankvb and 2000154
What about putting a 'foot' on either side? Something small just to hold up the hatch. Like a rectangular plastic maybe 3mm x 8mm x 12-14 inches(or whatever height is needed) that supports the lid. Spring loaded to fold down. With a catch / latch to keep them folded up against the bottom of the lid when not in use or not desired.

This is a possibility, and I am looking into this idea. But would require drilling 3-4 holes in each side of the trunk sidewall. It might be possible with permanent automotive trim tape. Either way it is going to leave some mark or damage if removed. It could also be an option for folks that preferred it. Let me know what you think.

This is a possibility, and I am looking into this idea. But would require drilling 3-4 holes in each side of the trunk sidewall. It might be possible with permanent automotive trim tape. Either way it is going to leave some mark or damage if removed. It could also be an option for folks that preferred it. Let me know what you think.

What I was thinking of should not require any vehicle modification. Imagine a hinge on the bottom of your cover. One side is of course the cover. The other side of the hinge is this leg. The hinge just lets it flop down.

The attached (crude) image is kind of what I mean. You cover is blue. The floor of the MY is red. The right 'foot' is down. The left shows the foot moving from latched horizontal to vertical. A clip or latch or something under the cover would allow the user to optionally not have the leg flopping down.

Attachments

• Snap1.png
    Snap1.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 101