Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear lower control arms being cut through due to the chains!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Was underneath my MS this morning and noticed this equally on both sides on the bottom of the control arms:

i-RkBnXkk-X2.jpg

i-LdLdZ4D-X2.jpg

It's at about a 45 degree angle pointing down. There's literally nothing I can from suspension fully compressed to full extended that would get remotely close to this. The closest thing is the rim of the wheel itself and the only thing that lines up with that angle but there's no sign of rubbing on the inside of the rim. It's at least an inch away from it.

It's even on both sides. I'm completely stumped. But I remember someone posted something similar a while back. Not sure if it was the same part.

The only reason I checked is there was another post recently about a rear lower control arm failing so I got paranoid and decided to check. Glad I did.

The other parts damaged are the wishbone links which are cheap. The control arms are going to be expensive.

If it was the rim you would hear and feel it. Good thing you looked! That's just crazy, hope the cause is determined and you can get it fixed ASAP!

(Too bad you can't fix the title).

There's no sign of rubbing on the inside of the rim, but the closest part of the rim is an inch out and at least an inch down. Plus the wheel couldn't have cut such a deep narrow groove.

No way it came like that from the factory. You can tell be the oxidation that it's been done fairly recently. Really weird!

My best guess is that the rear wheels are moving forward enough under hard acceleration that it's rubbing on something in front of the lower arms. Is there wear on something in front of the lower arms? Pull off a wheel and it should be easy to inspect.

Doesn't seem like anything is close enough to hit it, though. Tire wear is OK?

Last edited: