Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear lower control arms being cut through due to the chains!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The scary thing is I drove it 30K miles this way.

Thats what I was thinking; that was 10,11 months ago? I am also surprised you didn't notice this as you recently had your suspension apart.

Actually it makes me feel pretty good about the strength of the aluminum if that severely weakened suspension component in a performance version model S, with stiffer performance suspension, still held up after being like that for 30K miles!

Really surprised you wouldn't have heard this noise though if it is in fact from the chains....

Reactions: sorka and SDRick
Most chains are steel while I think the Tesla parts are aluminum. Steel is MUCH harder and with a little rust can be quite abrasive. So IF the wrong chain was put on wrong I can see this happening. That is far more likely than someone going under the car with a grinder to do a half job of disabing.

Reactions: sorka
Do you take it through any car washes? I wonder if the rails or other parts of the equipment might rub or grab in those areas.

My car has never been through a car wash and never will be. I wash it with 15 micro fiber mitts so that I don't have to risk scratching from debris from a 2nd or even 3rd rinse bucket with grit guards. I'm swirl free after 75K miles even under a 10 watt LED paint light.

My car has never been through a car wash and never will be. I wash it with 15 micro fiber mitts so that I don't have to risk scratching from debris from a 2nd or even 3rd rinse bucket with grit guards. I'm swirl free after 75K miles even under a 10 watt LED paint light.

With that level of OCD I’d expect you’d know how to put chains on right. ;)

I kid, I kid.