Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger headrests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found that being unable to adjust the rear passenger's headrests annoying?
On my test drive (while my wife was having her drive) I found the rear headrests really uncomfortable for my height.
We also have a Mercedes CL & Audi 5 and both have adjustable rear headrests.
Forgive me if this was only a limitation of the version we were driving.

Yes, I find it annoying, but it was a design choice by Tesla to have stationary headrests front and back, with both regular and next gen seats. It didn't stop me from ordering a MS, as I find compromises of some sort with every vehicle I've ever purchased, and the headrests were not enough to hold me back -- they may be for some others.

I thought head rests were just to prevent hyperextension during a collision. Do people actually use them during normal sitting? Seems that would be a odd sitting angle. Just curious.
I think perhaps for people that put the seats back to rest on longer journeys make more use of the headrests... Of course, our MS back seats don't do that like some other luxury sedans, so it's a mute point. ;)

When I first got the car, I found it very annoying. I can't believe they didn't make the middle head rest, at least, removable. I've gotten used to it over time. Also, on those occasions I have the back seat down to carry something bulky, I have a "whoa moment," actually being able to see out the window :smile:

When I first got the car, I found it very annoying. I can't believe they didn't make the middle head rest, at least, removable. I've gotten used to it over time. Also, on those occasions I have the back seat down to carry something bulky, I have a "whoa moment," actually being able to see out the window :smile:

Reminds me of a scene from I think a "Canon Ball Run" film where at the start, I think an Italian driver (should have been English) in a red E-type Jaguar convertible, rips off the rear view mirror and says to his girl, "What is behind us is of no interest!"

My problem with the rear seat headrests is that they are there at all. I'd rather have them be adjustable, so I could remove them and see better out the rear. Worst case is you have them in the frunk or truck (my Fusion's are in a closet at home). I was a little dismayed neither choice allowed for removal; ESPECIALLY with the center one. I cannot believe you need the 5th seat THAT often. Yes, the rear camera is nice, but as I drive my eyes are always moving; windows, gauges, mirrors to improve situational awareness and is one of my few remaining issue with the Model S.

I agree that the headrests should be adjustable, front and rear, and that the rears make the already-inadequate rearward view even worse. But I am learning to live with them as is (what else could we do?).

More serious, I think, is that I think or suspect the headrests are inadequate from a safety standpoint. they are shaped such that your head would easily slide to the side in a collision, versus being "cradled" as headrests in some other cars would do. Plus, the headrests are so narrow that they do not prevent your head from sliding to the side and then falling or snapping back -- exactly what they are supposed to prevent. The headrests in my last several cars were convex and thus would "capture" your head and make it hard to slide past the headrest, and were wide enough that you could not fit your head between the headrest and the doorpost.

What I do not know is what the rules are -- I assume Tesla meets the rules in both Europe and the UK and I assume and hope that this means the headrests are safe, contrary to my fears....Presumably serious deficiencies would have shown up in crash testing.

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow
That was from Gumball rally when the character Franco was talking to his partner in a Ferrari. Gumball rally and Canon ball run should never be confused :smile:

Reminds me of a scene from I think a "Canon Ball Run" film where at the start, I think an Italian driver (should have been English) in a red E-type Jaguar convertible, rips off the rear view mirror and says to his girl, "What is behind us is of no interest!"

I had some concern about the size of the middle head rest, would be nice if that one was removable, but oh well. Using side mirrors and rear view camera seems fine once I get used to the new approach.

This one is driving me crazy. I don't frequently take passengers in the back seat so I saw no need for the nicer bucket seats in the back. Now I'm regretting that decision simply because I have terrible vision with that center seat headrest blocking what seems like 1/3 of my window. The number of times I will probably drive a 5th passenger in my car is next to 1 per year, tops...

I suggest you keep the rear view camera image at the top of the center display at all times. It's the greatest rear view "mirror" ever. It covers the rear quarter blind spots quite nicely. I acknowledge that it is not useful in the rain. But other than that it's excellent. I don't use the rear view mirror in my S.

I do during the day, but the glare on it at night makes it useless. All I see is a blob of headlights merged together.

I suggest you keep the rear view camera image at the top of the center display at all times. It's the greatest rear view "mirror" ever. It covers the rear quarter blind spots quite nicely. I acknowledge that it is not useful in the rain. But other than that it's excellent...
+1, this is what I do. though I agree with others that at night it's not as useful.
even without considering the rear centre headrest, rearward visibility in the Model S isn't great. Plus the aerodynamic side view mirrors are tiny compared to my previous cars. So I find the rear camera is a big help to keep an eye what's behind you and in the blind spots