Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear quarter glass shattered.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear quarter glass on the drivers side (Small Triangle shaped one) was shattered.
Not sure how it happened, parked in a secure parking lot came back later to find it still o=attached to car 100% but shattered.
Anyway I now need to replace it. I would like to keep original glass, does that mean going thru Tesla only for that?

As far as I know, yes. I bought both left and right rear quarter glass from Tesla Service several years ago on the assumption that "one of these days I'm going to get vandalized". They were $190 plus tax for each in Jan. 2019 so the price could have changed since then. They are not simple pieces of glass. Instead, they have pre-mounted the (chrome) trim piece and mounting posts glued to the frame. I posted pictures of them here a while back. If I can dig them up, I'll edit this post.

Edit: Here it is: Sentry Mode not working during break ins / Removing rear seat latch
Edit2: And here is the procedure for removal / replacement to give you an idea on what's involved: Model 3 Rear Corner Window removal/install

Last edited:
Talking to a SafeLite guy a couple of months back while he was working on a couple of rock chips and he said that they still get their windshields for Tesla's from Tesla. So you could always check with them, however, if someone else is going to R&R that piece (after looking at the instructions above) I'd probably prefer it be the SC if it were mine. It doesn't look that bad, as a DIY either.

Thieves routinely break those windows so they can reach inside and flip down the rear seat to see what is in the trunk/hatch. If they see something good they will go after that.

Police will not arrest someone seen doing his, as they know the arrestee will simply be released with no bail. Prosecutors will not prosecute and Judges will not jail those criminals. Crime seems to have few consequences these days.

Thieves routinely break those windows so they can reach inside and flip down the rear seat to see what is in the trunk/hatch. If they see something good they will go after that.

Police will not arrest someone seen doing his, as they know the arrestee will simply be released with no bail. Prosecutors will not prosecute and Judges will not jail those criminals. Crime seems to have few consequences these days.
One difference is I will file a civil lawsuit without expecting recovery of funds. Police report file and parking lot is under security surveillance as well.
The video is kept for the last 30 days, they are going back thru the videos and will get back to me if they have something solid.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Talking to a SafeLite guy a couple of months back while he was working on a couple of rock chips and he said that they still get their windshields for Tesla's from Tesla. So you could always check with them, however, if someone else is going to R&R that piece (after looking at the instructions above) I'd probably prefer it be the SC if it were mine. It doesn't look that bad, as a DIY either.
Talked to safe light and Tesla SC, safelight is slightly cheaper but decided to have it done at the SC. Current price with labor is $407.00 plus I will take it back for a matching window tint.

I think it depends on if you report it, if you have video evidence that can identify the suspect, and if you state if you will press charges or not. If you state you won't (as most people do), then they won't bother doing anything about it (beyond issuing a report for your to use for insurance purposes). Even if you press charges, this type of crime is small compared to lots of what's going on, especially if only your rear quarter window is broken and nothing of value was stolen.

I will say however that in recent years prevalence of this has gone down a lot here in California, although perhaps this may be a consequence of the pandemic, where much less people are tourists (which typically have the most valuable things in their cars). Hopefully it's not going to have a resurgence.

This is going to sound crazy, this parking lot is on government property employee lot and my car was under parking lot camera surveillance.
The police went thru the video from the time I parked it to the time I went back to get it and nobody went near my car, however one does actually see
the glass spontaneously shatter! I have never heard of this nor seen it before. The car window did have a silver reflective shade on the inside for heat and the temp did hit 90's outside. Not sure if temp or pressure did it but something caused it to shatter all on its own.

Has anyone even heard of this?

This is going to sound crazy, this parking lot is on government property employee lot and my car was under parking lot camera surveillance.
The police went thru the video from the time I parked it to the time I went back to get it and nobody went near my car, however one does actually see
the glass spontaneously shatter! I have never heard of this nor seen it before. The car window did have a silver reflective shade on the inside for heat and the temp did hit 90's outside. Not sure if temp or pressure did it but something caused it to shatter all on its own.

Has anyone even heard of this?
Given it's tempered glass, having a window spontaneously shatter is not unheard of. It could be a defect from factory, it could be a previous impact that made a tiny chip or crack in the glass or weakened it. Hard to say.
My Back Window Shattered for No Reason | Advanced Auto Glass

There have been cases of this happening usually on the rear side widows (not the rear quarter windows). You are the first case I have heard of the rear quarter window shattering spontaneously.
Watch This Tesla's Rear Window Fall Right Out On The Highway

If you have a copy of the video, you can try to claim warranty with Tesla, although they may deny it regardless (especially if your car is not recently manufactured, and as you say, you used a shade which may change the thermal conditions, or even mechanical stress depending on how it attaches to it).

Well Tesla SC fixed the shattered window and damaged the car during the install. The metal above the frame is now dented inward like too much pressure was applied during the install on the frame. Did not notice it till I got home and the garage lights reflecting on the surface made it stand out.
No telephone number to call only message thru the app and of course they are closed. now. Very frustrating. Already had to drive to another town because the local service center is backed up for a month and now this.

Attachments

• tempImageo5bBuU.png
    tempImageo5bBuU.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Well Tesla SC fixed the shattered window and damaged the car during the install. The metal above the frame is now dented inward like too much pressure was applied during the install on the frame. Did not notice it till I got home and the garage lights reflecting on the surface made it stand out.
No telephone number to call only message thru the app and of course they are closed. now. Very frustrating. Already had to drive to another town because the local service center is backed up for a month and now this.
Wow, that is just unacceptable.

I had heat shields inside the car window, the typical cardboard with reflective material on the inside and they said that would increase the heat on the glass and if the glass was compromised that this could have shattered the window but not under warranty because the the shield use.

Not much I can do about that. Hoping the before and after pics of the damage they did is treated better.

Well it took a letter from an attorney to get a response. They finally admit they caused the issue.
Now how can this be settled? A bondo job with repaint seems unacceptable to me but not sure where to go with this now.
opinions?

car less than 1 year old

Well it took a letter from an attorney to get a response. They finally admit they caused the issue.
Now how can this be settled? A bondo job with repaint seems unacceptable to me but not sure where to go with this now.
opinions?

car less than 1 year old

A PDR place (paintless dent removal) could fix it given the pic. I would think Tesla would handle the repair since they caused the dent.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
One difference is I will file a civil lawsuit without expecting recovery of funds. Police report file and parking lot is under security surveillance as well.
The video is kept for the last 30 days, they are going back thru the videos and will get back to me if they have something solid.

This may explain what happened to my attempt to report my car’s case.
My Model 3 quarter glass was smashed during peak commute hours 6:30 PM daylight in a busy business district with restaurants and shop, near BART, my dashcam had recorded entire act with their car license and make, the actual young woman ’s face who smashed window twice, and passerby who stopped them etc. I sent USB to the policy since there were so many cars vandalized in the hope they will do something to make us feel safe. They did not even bother to reply at all.
Then the second time happened again in a trendy restaurant’s area…