Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seat headphones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i havent gotten the update yet so i can't try yet... but i've read that people w/the 21 refresh can't get the pair bluetooth headphones to work for the rear.

I have a 2021 Plaid, and am now running 2023.44.30.3. I can start a search for BT headphones from the rear display, but it never shows anything. I’ve tried two different BT headphones and it can’t find either. My iPhone can see them just fine.

Where is the info you saw that the 2021 (early refesh) doesn’t work? Do you know if this is a software glitch, or there is missing hardware?

I have a 2021 Plaid, and am now running 2023.44.30.3. I can start a search for BT headphones from the rear display, but it never shows anything. I’ve tried two different BT headphones and it can’t find either. My iPhone can see them just fine.

Where is the info you saw that the 2021 (early refesh) doesn’t work? Do you know if this is a software glitch, or there is missing hardware?
Wonder if the restriction is to older S/X with the smaller rear screen? Good grief that would be a middle finger to earlier owners... Not jumping to any conclusions yet, but this would not surprise me even in the slightest...

Or, it's just a middle finger to 2021 vehicles for... who knows what reason? Maybe the lack of system RAM (8GB) vs 16GB in the newer models.

The release notes used to have the “Rear Passenger Headphones” details, but as of today those have now been removed for my car. That is, the release notes no longer show this either in the app or in the car, wthout any further software updates. However I can still start an (unsuccessful) BT search from the rear screen.

Given the removal in the release notes, I think it might not be available for my 2021 after all. That’s a real shame, I really wanted that for my kids to be able to watch YouTube without me having to listen to it too.

Can anyone remember if this was an advertised feature when the 2021 refresh came out? This feels similar to it with being advertised as able to play advanced games such as from Steam, but that not actually working given the 8GB of RAM for the early refresh models.

Attachments

• IMG_5135.png
    IMG_5135.png
    641 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5166.png
    IMG_5166.png
    611.4 KB · Views: 32
The release notes used to have the “Rear Passenger Headphones” details, but as of today those have now been removed for my car. That is, the release notes no longer show this either in the app or in the car, wthout any further software updates. However I can still start an (unsuccessful) BT search from the rear screen.

Given the removal in the release notes, I think it might not be available for my 2021 after all. That’s a real shame, I really wanted that for my kids to be able to watch YouTube without me having to listen to it too.

Can anyone remember if this was an advertised feature when the 2021 refresh came out? This feels similar to it with being advertised as able to play advanced games such as from Steam, but that not actually working given the 8GB of RAM for the early refresh models.

Ok, further update. With 2023.44.30.5.1 just installed, there is some additional text during the Bluetooth search process “Some vehicles may require additional hardware to be compatible with headphone pairing.” The search is still unsuccessful on my 2021.

I think this confirms that the 2021 models do not already have the required hardware to pair rear seat Bluetooth headphones, but it seems to imply that could be retrofitted.

Attachments

• IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5201.jpeg
    IMG_5201.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Informative
Reactions: morbidz and Evee
Ok, further update. With 2023.44.30.5.1 just installed, there is some additional text during the Bluetooth search process “Some vehicles may require additional hardware to be compatible with headphone pairing.” The search is still unsuccessful on my 2021.

I think this confirms that the 2021 models do not already have the required hardware to pair rear seat Bluetooth headphones, but it seems to imply that could be retrofitted.
I did the 16GB upgrade on my 2021, so let's see if that included the addl hardware they are referring to. Would kinda suck in my case especially if not. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I get the update eventually.

Reactions: Evee
Something else must be causing rear headphones to not be operational on some MS versions. I have successfully connected a set of bluetooth headphones to the rear of our 2022 MS that DOES NOT have the 16mb upgrade. I also have connected 2 bluetooth game controllers which both work also.
Well that’s interesting. Figured it was open/shut case on needing the 16GB RAM based on feedback here. Guess not…

Well that’s interesting. Figured it was open/shut case on needing the 16GB RAM based on feedback here. Guess not…
I suppose there could have been some change to the bluetooth hardware that was independent of the 16GB upgrade. It seems to be built into the computer, I'm not seeing anything separate. If that's the case, hopefully Tesla just releases a USB bluetooth adapter or something instead of requiring the whole computer to be upgraded. I have my doubts they would do anything as consumer friendly as that though.