Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear spoiler closes on wife's hand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a good one...the trunk was partially opened and my wife had her left hand below the open spoiler (didn't pay attention) and with the other hand hit the button to close the trunk and the spoiler immediately closed hard on her hand. To the point she couldn't freely remove it until she really had to yank hard to get it out. A few of her fingers were bruised.

Here's a good one...the trunk was partially opened and my wife had her left hand below the open spoiler (didn't pay attention) and with the other hand hit the button to close the trunk and the spoiler immediately closed hard on her hand. To the point she couldn't freely remove it until she really had to yank hard to get it out. A few of her fingers were bruised.
that could be a big problem, I hope tesla see this here, maybe you should self report the problem

I'm not sure spoiler closing is supposed to happen upon just trunk closing, especially that fast.

Maybe there's a sensor there she blocked or some other reason. I'll double check, but I take my dog out several times a day, and am open/closing trunk gate often. When I go get coffee and lock, the spoiler drops.

Thanks for posting, I'm a safety man.

That's actually the opposite behavior from the current .78/.86 firmware. Now the spoiler retracts when you open the trunk (I assume to prevent collision with a low ceiling) and the spoiler extends when you close the trunk.
It might depend on the locked state of the car before the trunk opening. For now I would not trust the spoiler to do anything predictable.

Maybe we need Tesla to stick a strip of that black and yellow warning tape on the spoiler until they get this figured out.:)

11971247301907247236Sabathius_Warning_Stripe_Black_Yellow.svg

Reactions: commasign