Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear spoiler ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problems STARTED after the .45 update. I didn't have any problems on the previous three updates
We are experiencing the same thing with our X. I have a video demonstrating that it actually remains closed. Then works in opposite order than previous firmwares.
Down for the 1st 30secs of the video, then at 45mph goes into visibility mode.
This actually poses a concern for me, as my wife is driving around essentially w/o a 3rd brake light under 45mph!
Dropbox - 20160531_145408_NR.mp4

Reactions: Softwizard
I have some of the problems as posted. Good to find this thread. But this has been happening for a while...not really sure which firmware it first started occurring.

My spoiler does move to the correct positions when at speed and speed >45. However when parked, the spoiler doesn't retract all the time. Seems random and hard to predict.

I can get it to retract by locking the car via the fob. But on walking away, it isn't always consistent.

Earlier today, after I had the car washed I noticed that when the car was locked, the spoiler would go down, then after about a sec, pop back up even though the car was locked. I was able to unlock and lock the car from the remote app but the spoiler exhibited the same pattern.

I'll keep trying to test it out.

Reactions: Softwizard
New bad robot behavior. Spoiler was working perfectly on the drive to work. Leaving work, the spoiler rose only a tiny bit, just enough to show daylight beneath and expose the brake light. No amount of cycling and resetting fixed it. Maybe it will be different after another earth rotation.

I may be an outlier, but I am really glad my car came with a fixed spoiler. Not because it is one last thing to malfunction on this overly complicated car design, but simply because I do not like the way the car looks with the spoiler retracted. The first thing that came to my mind when I learned that some of the 90Ds were being delivered with active spoilers was "Can I keep it open at all times?".

Reactions: loganintx
I may be an outlier,

I can understand that, especially after reading this thread. But I am in the opposite camp - if I can't get/afford an active spoiler, I'd rather have none at all!

The clean profile while powered off is, at this point, the biggest thing making me consider going up to P.

Needless to say, the prospect of spending $20k for a feature that doesn't work right is not super appealing, especially since early adopters got it for free.

I'll be eagerly watching this thread, and I thank you all for your diligent gremlin hunting...

The first thing that came to my mind when I learned that some of the 90Ds were being delivered with active spoilers was "Can I keep it open at all times?".
FWIW, you can. In settings, there's an option for "Extended" or "Active."

I'm happy to have gotten one with my end of quarter misshapen X (kidding!) but if I had a fixed one, I'd be fine too. Or none at all. It's just not something that impacts me much.

I may be an outlier, but I am really glad my car came with a fixed spoiler. Not because it is one last thing to malfunction on this overly complicated car design, but simply because I do not like the way the car looks with the spoiler retracted. The first thing that came to my mind when I learned that some of the 90Ds were being delivered with active spoilers was "Can I keep it open at all times?".
The fixed version is starting to grow on me too. Not that I have a choice. Pretty sure mine will be fixed.

In case anyone else finds gremlins...

Sorry to double-reply to you, but do you have any pictures of the fixed spoiler, by chance? :)

I haven't really seen any, or the ones I have seen literally look like the active spoiler stuck in the up position. Does the fixed spoiler look more like a normal spoiler, with an actual gap between spoiler and glass?