Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a long shot, but do you have your settings for door handles set to present only the driver door handle? On my P85, my rear hatch becomes possessed with evil spirits - doesn't open, opens a few inches and closes, opens a couple of feet and stops, etc. When I reset to have all four handles present, the problem vanishes.

I've always had all four handles present. Didn't try to switch to driver-only to see if it made a difference.

Anyway, was able to drop the car off tonight. They said they'd try to get to it in the next 1-2 days. No loaner though, unfortunately.

Here's my service report. Sounds pretty complicated.

Got mine back today. (It took an extra day because they had to overnight a cable they didn't have in stock.)

The service report looks very similar to yours (I don't have the kid seats.)

Repair Invoice 2.jpg

Interesting. Any clue what causes the cinching actuator to fail? I.e. is it something I did? ;)

Er, forgive the dumb question but can someone say exactly what the cinching activator is? Is it a motor? (I'm a software guy so use small words.)

@jdo, I thought it interesting that you and I have 85Ds around the same vintage (my car's build date is April 2015). @commasign, how old is your P85D? I wonder if there's something in common like a bad batch of parts? Just speculating.

Bruce.

Er, forgive the dumb question but can someone say exactly what the cinching activator is? Is it a motor? (I'm a software guy so use small words.)

@jdo, I thought it interesting that you and I have 85Ds around the same vintage (my car's build date is April 2015). @commasign, how old is your P85D? I wonder if there's something in common like a bad batch of parts? Just speculating.

Bruce.

My P85D was built Dec 2014.

Interesting. Any clue what causes the cinching actuator to fail? I.e. is it something I did? ;)

Probably nothing specific. In my case, I had just closed the trunk ten minutes before after loading groceries. In terms of things in the past, there's been probably 3-4 times when something innocuous blocked the trunk from closing, and once about five months ago when the trunk got lightly banged by a closing garage door (HomeLink failure).

Er, forgive the dumb question but can someone say exactly what the cinching activator is?

It's the doohicky next to the flux capacitor.

Is it a motor?

Yeah, essentially. I believe the actuator is like a winch that tightens and loosens a cable.

Dunno. Hopefully there won't be many more of these. I have to say, as soon as it happened I ran in and found this thread. Thanks for the help, guys.

• Funny
Reactions: wesley888
Interesting issue. I do think a revision to the emergency release is in order here. Ideally, it should be able to bypass any other failures, as that is kind of the point.

As an owner with rear facing seats, I'm going to do a little investigation to see what is required to allow access over the seat backs for a back door exit should this happen with kids back there.

So I experimented with my 7 year old son, and it was actually fairly easy to get him out of the rear facing seats and out the side rear door of the car.

Basically, from the back seat, you can reach over the seat back to unbuckle them, then have them stand up as much as possible, then release the rear facing seat, then fold down half of the rear front facing seat. Optionally, you can also do the 2nd rear facing seat fold if you prefer, but there is enough room the second fold is not required. Then it was easy for him to crawl to the side door and get out.

So don't panic if your trunk gets stuck with a kid back there. Stay cool, it's not that hard to fold the seats and get them out the side door.

Even if you have a kid who lacks mobility, I think you wouldn't have too much trouble. You can leave them in the seat but carefully unlatch it, fold the rear front facing seat down, and then you would probably have plenty of room and leverage to assist the child as you help them over the rear facing seat back as you fold the rear facing seat back down.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888 and bmah
The Cinching Actuator is what pulls the liftgate into the latched position when you have the powered liftgate. If you don't have this option, you will not have the cinching actuator.

What happens is the cinching actuator fails in it's fully pulled in position, so even when you try to release the latch (and it shows unlatched) the liftgate is still tightly held closed.

It's a small module with an electric motor that pulls on a cable that is attached to a pawl that "grabs" the liftgate hasp and pulls it into the fully latched position.

Same problem on a lightly used 7 month old MS. \

Tech support suggested I just drive it to the service center. Told him it was 12 hrs away!

Wish they could just ship me the part with a couple pages out of the service manual so I could do it myself - be a lot cheaper and less hassle than the solution they will probably come up with. Maybe I'll get an exact date as to when the Calgary service center is opening. It's been 'Soon' for at least 8 months now.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My liftgate failed last weekend. Worked fine, then wouldn't open, just beeps. Release cable wouldn't move at all. Drive-able, but unable to be locked as the car thought it was "open". It was closed, but not tightly.

85D built in Apr 2015.

Took 2 days - parts came from Fremont. Replaced the liftgate latch power release and the cinching actuator.

Um, no need to be so dramatic (coming from one of the owners who experienced this problem).

Bruce.

Dramatic??

Hey... like that hatch door latch jams.. and your car has to get towed during a rain storm back to the shop an hour away.. when you have better things to do...

or how about just 40 hours into your new ride and oops.... it has to get flat-bedded back to the shop cause the thing fails....?? See above....

I hope that don't happen to me..... sounds like that would be like what a Dyson* does to me....

Dramatic??

Hey... like that hatch door latch jams.. and your car has to get towed during a rain storm back to the shop an hour away.. when you have better things to do...

or how about just 40 hours into your new ride and oops.... it has to get flat-bedded back to the shop cause the thing fails....?? See above....

I hope that don't happen to me..... sounds like that would be like what a Dyson* does to me....

Your characterization of the frequency of this problem, as well as the impact on those who have been affected by it, is not supported by the facts presented in this thread.

Bruce.