Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear View Camera - atleast 5 sec delay in coming on (always black initially)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should follow up... I had a hard lock up of the display (not responsive at all while driving) occur while I was on a bluetooth call (to Tesla service, no less) and so I dual scroll wheel rebooted while driving (yikes). Since that time, my camera has been coming on much more quickly. Seems like the reboot helped...

I should follow up... I had a hard lock up of the display (not responsive at all while driving) occur while I was on a bluetooth call (to Tesla service, no less) and so I dual scroll wheel rebooted while driving (yikes). Since that time, my camera has been coming on much more quickly. Seems like the reboot helped...

Mine's always instantaneous after a reboot - after a while, it goes back to taking 5-10s to come on.

Glad to find this thread as the issue has been very annoying at times and seems to have gotten substantially worse. There has been backup camera issues ever since I took ownership of the car, back in September.
We can successfully land rocket boosters after launch, but can't get a common backup camera to consistently work when the vehicle is put in reverse. Hmmmm....lol. I kid, sort of. FWIW, I'm also on 8.5.

Last edited:
12.1.1 is doing the same thing after a few days (slow backup camera response), so it's the same behavior for me since 5.15.

I have to say that this behavior is completely unacceptable. It is a safety risk. I was trying to back into a parking spot on a busy road and the camera did not turn on. It was frustrating and scary as traffic backed up and I just sat there like a moron. The car's horrible rear visibility doesn't help matters since I couldn't do the park manually.

I have to say that this behavior is completely unacceptable. It is a safety risk. I was trying to back into a parking spot on a busy road and the camera did not turn on. It was frustrating and scary as traffic backed up and I just sat there like a moron. The car's horrible rear visibility doesn't help matters since I couldn't do the park manually.

I disagree, but some people have become so accustomed to cameras they can't adjust to mirror use which is scary and I'm not saying that is the case with you. I have driven many vehicles without backup cameras that have much worse, or no, rear visibility through the middle of the car.

So far improved backup camera reliability on 12.1.2

Mine is mixed, sometimes it turns right on and sometimes it is delayed, overall I agree it is better.

I still have an issue w/ 12.1.2. Shift into reverse, camera screen is blank, sometimes for 5+ seconds before coming online.

I have the issues much more sporadically.

I disagree, but some people have become so accustomed to cameras they can't adjust to mirror use which is scary and I'm not saying that is the case with you. I have driven many vehicles without backup cameras that have much worse, or no, rear visibility through the middle of the car.

I'm definitely accustomed to using a back-up camera and happy to never use the rear mirror to back-up ever again. The camera is there and should work 100%, simple as that. I'm also not sure exactly what you're disagreeing to since my comment was that the faulty rear camera is unacceptable. You disagree? So the faulty camera function is fine for you?

I'm definitely accustomed to using a back-up camera and happy to never use the rear mirror to back-up ever again. The camera is there and should work 100%, simple as that. I'm also not sure exactly what you're disagreeing to since my comment was that the faulty rear camera is unacceptable. You disagree? So the faulty camera function is fine for you?

Sorry I disagree that it is unsafe. As for things at 100% I agree there and I wish they did, I'd be more concerned that my car screen was crashing while driving versus my camera.