Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view visability - smaller FOV camera option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that many people have reported that the rear view mirror is lacking in visibility (especially with 7 seats) I've thought about using the rear camera more often when we get the car. However, the camera view on our S has a pretty high FOV (field of view) that makes it not a great mirror alternative while driving (it's great for backing up). Once cars get a bit farther behind you, they become tiny on the screen.

Do you think it would be possible for Tesla to narrow the view via software? Our Odyssey has 3 views on the backup camera, two of which are normal and wide. It seems it would make sense for them to have two options for the camera's FOV.

Considering that many people have reported that the rear view mirror is lacking in visibility (especially with 7 seats) I've thought about using the rear camera more often when we get the car. However, the camera view on our S has a pretty high FOV (field of view) that makes it not a great mirror alternative while driving (it's great for backing up). Once cars get a bit farther behind you, they become tiny on the screen.

Do you think it would be possible for Tesla to narrow the view via software? Our Odyssey has 3 views on the backup camera, two of which are normal and wide. It seems it would make sense for them to have two options for the camera's FOV.

I'm certain that Tesla could narrow the view via software. Whether they implement that is a completely different question. I would prefer that they added a higher, shark-fin camera, like what was seen on the white ski model-X (below) and display a hybrid view in the rear view mirror as provided by Gentex (see further below).
section-allwheel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it legal to use a display instead of a mirror? I know that the side mirrors must be mirrors.

I wondered that last year as I was under the impression that a rearview mirror was required. In a different thread, lots of posters said that it wasn't (and IIRC we couldn't find any specific law saying one was required). I think that the laws generally require a driver's side mirror and usually at least one other mirror, either passenger side or rear view mirror. The mirrors must allow for visibility behind the vehicle but that can be accomplished by side mirrors only. For some vehicles (trucks, vans, etc.), there is no back window so only the side mirrors or rear view cameras are used to see behind the vehicle.

I wondered that last year as I was under the impression that a rearview mirror was required. In a different thread, lots of posters said that it wasn't (and IIRC we couldn't find any specific law saying one was required). I think that the laws generally require a driver's side mirror and usually at least one other mirror, either passenger side or rear view mirror. The mirrors must allow for visibility behind the vehicle but that can be accomplished by side mirrors only. For some vehicles (trucks, vans, etc.), there is no back window so only the side mirrors or rear view cameras are used to see behind the vehicle.
That makes sense. I wonder why tesla didn't include a display, I mean this car is futuristic.

That makes sense. I wonder why tesla didn't include a display, I mean this car is futuristic.

I know. In mid 2015, someone leaked an image of an X taken in a Gentex(?) garage in Michigan. There were a bunch of us who were hopeful the X would have the Gentex Full display hybrid mirror when it was released. From what I've seen, the visibility out the back is mostly blocked by the 2nd and 3rd row headrests so such a product seems like it would be the perfect solution. If the new Chevy Bolt can include such a mirror, you'd think/hope the X would be able to include one as well.

I'd guess the reason they didn't include the Gentex mirror was they already have a really nice rear camera, and the Gentex mirror design is very poor -- the Model S and X have very nice, sleek, edge-less mirrors -- that large black surround would never pass. Perhaps they will figure a way to make it look better, and incorporate it into future cars.

The X I saw had a button to lower the headrests on the 3rd row (press once to fold headrests, and again to fold the seats), that should help visibility if those seats aren't in use.

I'd guess the reason they didn't include the Gentex mirror was they already have a really nice rear camera, and the Gentex mirror design is very poor -- the Model S and X have very nice, sleek, edge-less mirrors -- that large black surround would never pass. Perhaps they will figure a way to make it look better, and incorporate it into future cars.

The X I saw had a button to lower the headrests on the 3rd row (press once to fold headrests, and again to fold the seats), that should help visibility if those seats aren't in use.

Yeah, the big visibility issue, though, is the middle row middle seat headrest... Won't bug me, I'm getting a 6 seater, need the long space...

Peter+

I'd guess the reason they didn't include the Gentex mirror was they already have a really nice rear camera, and the Gentex mirror design is very poor -- the Model S and X have very nice, sleek, edge-less mirrors -- that large black surround would never pass. Perhaps they will figure a way to make it look better, and incorporate it into future cars..

My issue is that while the rear camera in the S/X is nice, the FOV is not great for using as a rear view mirror alternative. It's really great for backing up, but while driving the view is too wide and other cars are too small.

I personally think that the current back-up camera in the X is not an acceptable replacement for a rear-view mirror. The screen position is too low and requires taking your eyes off the road. The rear-view mirror is in the perfect location to quickly check what's behind while having your peripheral vision on the road ahead. I really hope they implement some kind of smart hybrid design.

I'm surprised the Model X doesn't at least have a surround view parking guide like Infiniti and Nissan have had since 2008 and other manufacturers have been adding since then (BMW, Cadillac, etc), let alone a rear-view mirror solution that actually allows a driver of a seven-seat configuration to see out the rear window! A rear-view camera/mirror hybrid would be perfect, and it's going to be on the $30k Chevy Bolt!

I'm surprised the Model X doesn't at least have...
At this point, no one should be 'surprised' at all. Tesla Motors does not include hardware when it is either: 1) of dubious utility in the real world; or 2) can't be acquired at a reasonable cost from a supplier. There are likely still some suppliers who don't answer the phone when Tesla calls, or ask for exorbitant fees for what they consider a low volume manufacturer.

At this point, no one should be 'surprised' at all. Tesla Motors does not include hardware when it is either: 1) of dubious utility in the real world; or 2) can't be acquired at a reasonable cost from a supplier. There are likely still some suppliers who don't answer the phone when Tesla calls, or ask for exorbitant fees for what they consider a low volume manufacturer.

I also suspect that Tesla will delay offering a feature if they can think up of a better solution, even if it requires them to build it from scratch. Similar to how Apple didn't offer Cut&Paste on the iPhone until a few years later. I suspect that Tesla software engineers are building those features right now and we'll see it in the next year or two.