Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received a new invoice order from 9th May - I'm now being charged for black paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I received two emails this morning saying my price had been amended. My LR AWD has reduced from £51,400 (before plug in grant) to £50,590, a reduction of £810.

I am now being charged £750 to have the car in black. I placed my order on 9th May and reserved March 2017.

The only reason I had it in black was because I could not justify spending more on another colour! Now I'm worried if I request a change I'll end up having to wait even longer to get the included colour (white).

Anyone else had this? What are you going to do?

Hi,

I received two emails this morning saying my price had been amended. My LR AWD has reduced from £51,400 (before plug in grant) to £50,590, a reduction of £810.

I am now being charged £750 to have the car in black. I placed my order on 9th May and reserved March 2017.

The only reason I had it in black was because I could not justify spending more on another colour! Now I'm worried if I request a change I'll end up having to wait even longer to get the included colour (white).

This is correct. I called today and a change in spec will change your delivery date. I am sticking with my original order at my original price.

Hi,

Same for me except I have a price INCREASE on my original order due to my chosen specs. Not had anything since so if they don't amend it I'm ringing them tomorrow.

They offered FSD at a discounted price for people who ordered early, I don’t think they can just change it now. Especially since we have paid a deposit in consideration.

I am hoping they do the right thing and reduce the base price and honour the £4900 price for FSD. Otherwise, there was no benefit to taking them up on the FSD offer.

Not quite same, as mine was self inflicted, but when I added tow hitch 7 days after FSD discount expired, I lost my previous FSD discount. They just repriced EVERYTHING at the then current book value, so my tow hitch got very expensive.

There seems to be some descrepancies going on, with some being treated one way, o=and some another. Today I found out that same was true with tow hitch add-on, some got to keep the original discount, I did not.

My price adjustment has effectively covered my wall charger installation so happy with that. It would have been very easy for Tesla to hold off with these price adjustments until the next ship arrives and deliveries were processed so I cannot really see why people are moaning so much. If this was a traditional dealership we would have had to fight for this. Tesla just do it automatically.

You have to figure there will be a fair number of people who switch from black to white either because:
a) white is now the free colour
b) they always wanted white but could not justify the expense

people may also switch to other colours since they are now about the same price as black
Which means there are likely to be a number of orphaned black cars looking for homes.
I doubt there are boat loads of spare white cars (given the previous price) so if you switch to white now you have to assume that the car you eventually get has probably not yet been built so adjust your delivery expectations accordingly
And to anyone for whom getting the car quickly is a priority I would say sticking with / switching to black would be a very smart move at this point and will probably accelerate delivery.

Reactions: WarpedOne
And to anyone for whom getting the car quickly is a priority
Those people should not order a spec but look into current inventory and choose a suitable VIN.

But even they may end up with a defective car for which they've already payed full price that was higher than originally planned and need to wait for the parts to arrive and the car gets fixed.
And they also might need to pay direct delivery charge to pick the vehicle from service center instead of delivery center.

The best thing to do is cancel your config and reorder based on current pricing.
Yes, you might get delayed, or you might not.

Tesla needs to stop screwing their customers.

• Disagree
Reactions: LEE3
I switched to white, its a better colour than black, since its multicoat, much easier to maintain and free.

my Tesla charger was £1100 to install so the price reduction of £1500 more than covered it.

Not buying into the FSD hype so no issues there

And since its now not likely in August I probably have another £1000 in risiduals over a 19 plate car delivered in August.

All +++

The only thing I need to do is wait a bit longer. I recon there will be a big push in September to get deliveries on the books for Q3 so they will want to clear as much backlog as possible. If they build the car in the next 2-3 weeks it can get on a ship and be delivered in September.

Those people should not order a spec but look into current inventory and choose a suitable VIN.

There is no "current inventory" in UK. Unless you have a delivery date you car is not on a ship yet. So no risk of changing the order.

Loads of people get delivery dates as soon as a ship departs from SF, if you don't have a date likely your car is not built.

If anything, I recon switching to the new "standard" color would speed things up because that's what they now gear for.

Regarding "orphan black cars" I've not seen anyone changing their order once they get a delivery date.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gareth Davies
Loads of people get delivery dates as soon as a ship departs from SF, if you don't have a date likely your car is not built.
That is not true at all. No-one gets delivery dates when the ship departs, they may however get a hidden vin in the source code. The only time that delivery dates appear to get sent out is when it reaches Zeebrugge or just before departure to the UK.