Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bummer, do you still plan to accept it? Can you confirm the last 5 digits of the VIN assigned?
I know the the question was directed towards @Budshark. But man, at this point I’m ready to accept it w/ or w/o amd. I understand future proofing, but tbh, when We had our M3LR, we never used the apps. I don’t plan on sitting and playing games. Netflix? Sure maybe but if I’m charging it’s mostly bc we’re on a trip and I rather go stretch my legs instead of watching tv.

also, the hold/ reject option wasn’t intended for this reason. Tesla will eventually change that option and it’ll hurt the people that truly need to hold.

Reactions: CaliX and Dirtman16
I know the the question was directed towards @Budshark. But man, at this point I’m ready to accept it w/ or w/o amd. I understand future proofing, but tbh, when We had our M3LR, we never used the apps. I don’t plan on sitting and playing games. Netflix? Sure maybe but if I’m charging it’s mostly bc we’re on a trip and I rather go stretch my legs instead of watching tv.
Agreed. Don’t use the apps but a bit of caution…

My M3LR was HW1.5. Missed the computer update by a month. After about a year I started missing out on some of the new features. When they added stop sign and light visualization and dynamic speed readings off of signs vs GPS, I didn’t get any of those features.

Reactions: CaliX and ap105
While copper wire has become expensive, they are using it as a reason to overcharge most people. I needed to run the line about 35 ft from the panel with 3/4” conduit attached to the garage wall. I was quoted $2,500 by a Tesla installer. He gave me the same line about the copper wiring. I told him to go jump in a volcano. I looked up online what the cost for me to purchase two 35 foot strands of 6 gauge insulated copper wire and a ground wire. It was just over $100. That’s it. Check for yourselves. Found an electrician that charged me $50 an hour (3 hours) and $100 for wire and $100 for 60 amp breaker and conduit. That was it for a 35 ft run with a wall charger mounted with it. I tipped Him $100 for not gauging me. Negotiate for yourselves. Parts for an install should not be more than $200 unless you have some crazy setup. If you are installing right next to the panel, then parts should be no more than $100 The rest is pure profit for these guys. They hear the words “Tesla charger install” and their eyes light up.
I can tell the same story exactly. "tesla preferred installers" were the worst quote $2500-6000. Any basic electrician can do it, such a simple job. Should be under $1500 including the charger all in out the door. Shop around........as soon as you say "TESLA" the price doubles. Just say you need an EV charger installed

Agreed. Don’t use the apps but a bit of caution…

My M3LR was HW1.5. Missed the computer update by a month. After about a year I started missing out on some of the new features. When they added stop sign and light visualization and dynamic speed readings off of signs vs GPS, I didn’t get any of those features.
Oh? They did that? See I never kept up with the ‘new’ bc then I’d want to upgrade 😂. Plan is to avoid all MY forums after getting it 😆 . Always gonna be that ‘new’ thing.. it’s not worth keeping up with and enjoy what you have.

also, the hold/ reject option wasn’t intended for this reason. Tesla will eventually change that option and it’ll hurt the people that truly need to hold.
Instead of Tesla change that option, how about Tesla treating all the customers the same way? I don't think my $70k are better than your $70k. In top of that you have the build quality and frustration that comes with it because Fremont can't put their sh1t together after two years of building MY. I just want to pick up the car, not go with a list in my hand to check for gaps and the whole nine yards. My point is that if you are not comfortable with what you get, don't get it.

Instead of Tesla change that option, how about Tesla treating all the customers the same way? I don't think my $70k are better than your $70k. In top of that you have the build quality and frustration that comes with it because Fremont can't put their sh1t together after two years of building MY. I just want to pick up the car, not go with a list in my hand to check for gaps and the whole nine yards. My point is that if you are not comfortable with what you get, don't get it.
I can see Tesla changing (like ap105 said) how the hold system works. Right now it is just being abused by people wanting the improvements in the pipeline while at the same time keeping their early low price. Regardless of reasons, I think once you get off your hold, you should be reasonably inserted to the back of the line. This is not lining up at Starbucks and the person behind you is nice enough to hold your spot while you go look at the pastries. Can't just casually insert yourself back in and mess up everyone else's plan behind you.

Same for people that have legit reasons to hold off (emergencies, build quality issues, etc.), you shouldn't get to have first dip on everything if you gave up what you were originally assigned.

Reactions: Jgav and Dirtman16
I can see Tesla changing (like ap105 said) how the hold system works. Right now it is just being abused by people wanting the improvements in the pipeline while at the same time keeping their early low price. Regardless of reasons, I think once you get off your hold, you should be reasonably inserted to the back of the line. This is not lining up at Starbucks and the person behind you is nice enough to hold your spot while you go look at the pastries. Can't just casually insert yourself back in and mess up everyone else's plan behind you.

Same for people that have legit reasons to hold off (emergencies, build quality issues, etc.), you shouldn't get to have first dip on everything if you gave up what you were originally assigned.
Then Tesla shouldn't tell you your car is coming in January and then give you two days notice in the middle of your Christmas vacation that the car is early and you must pick up it up between Dec 27-29, not a day later.

People need to stop complaining about this system... this is they way Tesla wants it, otherwise they would change it.

Yeah, they have to know delivering during the holidays is tough, especially with little or no prior notice. I'm as salty as anyone at the folks trying to game the system, but Tesla shouldn't have been trying to jam through all those last second deliveries late in the quarter when most people are traveling or otherwise unavailable. I blame Tesla for that.

How about the other side of the coin? People paying the latest price, myself included and getting yesterday's technology? At the same time Tesla ships cars with the latest technology to some lucky people but not to everyone. I don't think it's right.

I get the hold conversation but this is predominantly a Tesla problem.

They create the conditions (short delivery windows, no flexibility, mid-year meaningful equipment changes).

If they solved all or some of those problems the Hold conversation would be gone. We are blaming people who use the legal and contractual options given to them to maximize their investment. Why not blame the company that incentivizes them to wait or provides no flexibility to an unclear and complicated (often life impacting) decision?

It’s a frustrating and stressful situation for all involved. But I would never criticize a person for trying to maximize their $60k investment. Nor would I criticize someone for NOT waiting because they don’t value the updates or they can’t wait 2-6 weeks longer. This is all silly.

And no, I haven’t decided. My wife says to wait. I want to move forward. My SA advised me to go on hold, that they think the update is worth it. So right now I’m outvoted, unless I count some of you randos who call people who hold “shitty customers”. :D:D

Then Tesla shouldn't tell you your car is coming in January and then give you two days notice in the middle of your Christmas vacation that the car is early and you must pick up it up between Dec 27-29, not a day later.

People need to stop complaining about this system... this is they way Tesla wants it, otherwise they would change it.
That has nothing to do with how good/bad the hold system is currently, and more about how they want to appeal to investors at the expense of CX. Instead of putting them on hold, they need to figure out how to still deliver them cars without messing up the queue.

Last edited:

They create the conditions (short delivery windows, no flexibility, mid-year meaningful equipment changes).

If they solved all or some of those problems the Hold conversation would be gone. We are blaming people who use the legal and contractual options given to them to maximize their investment. Why not blame the company that incentivizes them to wait or provides no flexibility to an unclear and complicated (often life impacting) decision?

It’s a frustrating and stressful situation for all involved. But I would never criticize a person for trying to maximize their $60k investment. Nor would I criticize someone for NOT waiting because they don’t value the updates or they can’t wait 2-6 weeks longer. This is all silly.

And no, I haven’t decided. My wife says to wait. I want to move forward. My SA advised me to go on hold, that they think the update is worth it. So right now I’m outvoted, unless I count some of you randos who call people who hold “shitty customers”. :D:D
Everyone has their rights to use the system as is, but that doesn't change the fact that it creates frictions across the board. But yes I agree, they have other bigger and more important problems to solve.

I would take it. Honestly unless you are using full self driving and not using apps can't see if AMD is better. Plus in 3 years the Y will be different car. 400+ miles probably an Apple Chip, built in fame throwers, Tequila dispenser in the center console because it really will this time drive it's self.

Plus if you put it off you may get one of the first Y's from Austin that you know will panel gaps the size of Texas.

Reactions: Jgav and csrpenfab