Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent MYP Delivery Estimates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: MIGS Tessie
Reactions: MIGS Tessie
is the credit that important. I mean it is only $7500 and you were buying the Tesla anyway w/o it..
Actually yes...it will take an entire year off of my loan. And since I just found out that I won't be getting the over $10k refund from the government for 4+ years of overpayments on my student loans....I want that money back! I'm not rich and I'm a single person on a single income. That much money is a big deal to me. When you're a government employee that gets 0 bonuses and very minimal (if any) salary increases, that's a lot of money that I'm not willing to leave on the table just to get a car 4 months earlier. I will sit and wait those 4 months. ⏳

Any yes...I can afford it either way. That doesn't mean that it's not a lot of money to me.

Actually yes...it will take an entire year off of my loan. And since I just found out that I won't be getting the over $10k refund from the government for 4+ years of overpayments on my student loans....I want that money back! I'm not rich and I'm a single person on a single income. That much money is a big deal to me. When you're a government employee that gets 0 bonuses and very minimal (if any) salary increases, that's a lot of money that I'm not willing to leave on the table just to get a car 4 months earlier. I will sit and wait those 4 months. ⏳

Any yes...I can afford it either way. That doesn't mean that it's not a lot of money to me.
We don’t know of the Y qualifies for the full $7500 yet.

Reactions: Happy Hippo

Sorry, I should have clarified that giving up the $250 order fee shouldn't be a big deal then if the $7,500 is "key" (important or needed).

I'm also a single income person and not rich (probably lower income then most the Tesla guys here, but I've made it work). So I get that the money is significant, I would have LOVED it on my MYP I just picked up.

BUT, if I lost a couple thousand to trade in values going down between now and then and maybe paying a bit more by interest going up again (we're still seeing a half point to three quarter point being talked about in September) it really starts to make the $7,500 look like a gamble. Paying 0.75% more on a 72 month loan of $30k is about $700. If I lost $2,500 in trade in value because markets change that's a total of $3,200 more out of pocket EVEN if I locked the Tesla price in, so then the tax credit is only worth $4,300. Still not nothing, but it starts to disappear fast. Considering my trade value right now was almost SEVEN THOUSAND more than I paid for my car 22 months ago... I could easily see trade values dropping a lot if the used car market slows down. If I lost four or five thousand in trade in the next five months, well then that $7,500 would almost be gone.

So you've got to do all the math and a little forecasting. Get quotes from Vroom and Carvana and a trade quote from Tesla. If you're in a state that gives you a tax break if you trade in, factor that into it. Then estimate how much that credit might be worth to you.

For me if I made a sale to Vroom or Carvana I would have paid $8,000 in tax on my MYP... because I traded with Tesla I paid $440 in tax.

So for me getting +$7000 on the car compared to what I paid, only paying $440 in tax on the new car, and not getting FSD on the new car (thanks subscription option!) it made it worth while to jump on this crazy time. I already missed out on a full percentage point with my loan because I didn't expect the car till Sep-Oct! If I had locked my rate the day I ordered I would have saved $1,129! I'll have to pay it off a bit early now to save that money...

Reactions: Socalfarmhouse
Oh a quick datapoint in case anyone is doing late model tradeins - the difference between now and June when I last had gotten a tradein estimate (back during my first short window before it got pushed back) was only like $100 higher than it is now, a few months and 1000 miles later. Not bad considering the market has softened a little on used cars.

Someone over on Reddit just posted pics of their F517 MYP picked up last night and it has the new door panels. Now I have a whole new thing to obsess over as I await delivery of my F516 😂
Thank goodness the one I picked up on Monday has the old style! I do NOT like the look of the new ones.

Now I just have to figure out if I have the superhorn or not (seriously hoping I don't but kind of fear that I do...)

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Oh a quick datapoint in case anyone is doing late model tradeins - the difference between now and June when I last had gotten a tradein estimate (back during my first short window before it got pushed back) was only like $100 higher than it is now, a few months and 1000 miles later. Not bad considering the market has softened a little on used cars.
We'll see, but I would argue that things will change a lot more with the markets now to December compared to before. We'll have another interest rate hike most likely, that will be four more months of softer car sales (so more of a backlog), possibly slower new car sales so the chip shortage won't be as bad (so more options there), and maybe a lot of people flooding the used market with cars jumping on tax credits (if they do get verified for January with Tesla and other makes).

The used car credit won't really affect Tesla's on the used market because the sale prices are so high.