Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation for 18 inch wheels for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait. There are multiple pictures posted here recently of people who have picked up their P3D Stealth, and they DO have Track Mode (pictures posted!).

The bigger question is if they keep the track mode. It's not uncommon for Tesla to ship vehicles with the wrong options - e.g; SR owners got SR+ options for months before it was reversed.

Best bet is to confirm what the stealth P3Ds come with before buying, or you could be banking on options you don't get to keep. Not easy, I know, since sales folk tend to know about as much as we do.

Hopefully someone who actually lives near snow and uses chains in a Model 3 will chime in here with more info for you. You could also go with 18x7.5" rims and narrower tires, too, I guess if you want to improve clearance. But I know people who have used a high quality chain on the rear wheels of a Model 3 with the stock 18" wheels without difficulty (other than minor scratching of the wheel face). So I think you'd have no issue on the Performance with after market 18" as long as the chain is a low profile chain.
Thanks Alan. I’ll check it out the local 18” options.

The bigger question is if they keep the track mode. It's not uncommon for Tesla to ship vehicles with the wrong options - e.g; SR owners got SR+ options for months before it was reversed.

Best bet is to confirm what the stealth P3Ds come with before buying, or you could be banking on options you don't get to keep. Not easy, I know, since sales folk tend to know about as much as we do.

They come with Track Mode. There is nothing to worry about. If you get a Model 3 Performance vehicle of any kind, you will get Track Mode. It is the only sane thing, and in this specific case, Tesla is being sane. They're not going to take it away later. They have a bunch of caveats - if you destroy your brakes when tracking the car with Track Mode, they're going to tell you it was Track Mode and it's not covered. All very sensible.

Model 3 Winter Tire & Wheel Packages on Performance Model 3's from last Winter Season.

18" TST in Space Gray on Michelin X-Ice
Dt8Y4yzVsAA8LO-.jpeg

18" TST in Brilliant Silver on Michelin X-Ice
Dw_0GU1WkAAS7sg.jpeg

Hi Couchking, with 10mm wider for your set of A/S 3+ tires, do you experience less efficiency compared to MXM4? Is there any squishy handling due to having a little off rating? Thanks.

Hi,

No noticeable loss in efficiency. The tires aren't are firm as the OEM PS4s, but that's a trade-off I expected when adding more side wall. The wider tires fit fine, no issues with rubbing and I honestly wish I went a bit wider although I'm not sure how it would look. I think the 245/45/18 tire fits perfectly.

Hey Guys, I've got these wheels on my Golf R:
T-S5 Forged Split 5 Spoke Wheel

They are forged and made in house, very high-quality wheel the 18's are 17lbs each. My Golf R came with 19" wheels that weighed 26lbs and I could tell a big difference in handling response with the lighter wheels/tires. I'm ordering an M3 this week and will be putting the Titan 7's on it.

The Model 3 has a 5x114.3 PCD. So, unless I'm mistaken on the Golf being a 5x112 PCD, your set will not work on the 3.

I'm looking for something lightweight, ideally lighter than OEM but something that also looks nice. My roads aren't the best but I find the 18's have just a little too much sidewall, 20s not enough. So I've settled on 19s. Would like something light but something that still looks nice.

There is no way I'm spending 4-6 thousand dollars on wheels.

I've been looking at these- Dekagram - Konig Wheels Flow formed, 19x8.5 +30, 19.77lbs per wheel. Can be bought around $400Cad each which isn't bad.

Thoughts? Any other recommendations?