Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Jack and Puck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure you get a low profile or ultra low profile trolley jack as I don't think a standard one with fit under any of the model 3 variants.

Once you've selected your jack, look at the diameter of the lifting cup and get some jack pads that are the same size.

SGS Engineering have a good selection of Trolley Jacks. Amazon, Ali Express, Abstract Ocean for the pucks, depending on how quickly you need them.

Just be careful with the size of the saddle on some trolley jacks - some are too small a diameter to accommodate the average puck. Thankfully I took my puck along to a real shop when I went to buy and it confirmed the issue. You will need a low profile jack though. I use a racing jack. If you have a machinemart near you, you should be able to give them an inspection to assess suitability.

I can highly recommend the Abstract Ocean Gen 2 pucks/jack adaptors - not cheap but quality and an absolute breeze to use and fairly low profile - if you have an AO order in, add a single puck as tbh that is all you need for changing a wheel. You will probably need more if doing a full rotation though. We rotate when we do winter/summer wheel change so its only one corner up at a time.

Last edited:
standard trolley jack will not fit - tried 2 and 2.5T, the saddle on the 2t is really too small - 2.5 is really but did not damage the rubber puck, I'd have thought a 3T low profile would be a good bet unless anyone knows if the low profile saddles are bigger

You can get away without using a low/racing jack. You need to use something to raise the height if the car, wooden blocks or bricks work well. Drive the car into them and you have the space to use an ordinary jack with the pucks.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has successfully lifted a Model 3 with one of those scissor jacks you typically get with an emergency/spare wheel kits?
Does the add-on puck work safely?
The tyre and jack kit at £250-£300 looks expensive but presumably worth it if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I wonder if anyone has successfully lifted a Model 3 with one of those scissor jacks you typically get with an emergency/spare wheel kits?
Does the add-on puck work safely?
The tyre and jack kit at £250-£300 looks expensive but presumably worth it if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Yes as long as you use a wedge. See my previous post for the pic of the one I got from Amazon.

AA taught me this.

Reactions: exlatccatsa

Our scissor jack will need modification before it can be safely used with our puck. I was probably going to fabricate a saddle to attach to the top of the jack which will allow the puck to sit firmly on the top of the jack - our jack has a little nipple at the top so nothing would sit flat on it. I don't think that the nipple would adequately mate with the jack point on the car, but have yet to test - personally I would not trust it not moving.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Our scissor jack will need modification before it can be safely used with our puck. I was probably going to fabricate a saddle to attach to the top of the jack which will allow the puck to sit firmly on the top of the jack - our jack has a little nipple at the top so nothing would sit flat on it. I don't think that the nipple would adequately mate with the jack point on the car, but have yet to test - personally I would not trust it not moving.

I ground off the swivel adapter on the scissor jack that came with my skinny spare kit. That gives about another inch of clearance. Because the puck rubber has some give in it the jack gets some grip as the flat top makes contact. It's definitely not ideal and I would be extra cautious if using it. Another problem is that when a scissor jack is fully compressed the first few turns of the screw are immensely stiff so whether it ever gets used in anger is still in question! (Also completely out of the question for the lower Performance models.)