Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reconciliation Bill and Estimated Delivery timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same situation. I got a notification that I could schedule delivery in a week. If the tax credit bill was still many months out I would just take delivery now. But from what I heard the bill is planned to be announced in mid-September and then voted on at the end of September. It would be pretty disappointing to miss out on the tax credit by a week or two. So for now my delivery is now on hold. For me it is worth it to delay the delivery a bit for the chance at getting the tax credit.

I'm just not really sure what happens when the hold ends later in September. Am I at the front of the line to get the next available car, or do I go to the end of the line as if I just ordered?
SA told me you don't go to the end of the line, but could not say where exactly I'd be in line. The neural network is mysterious.

Doesn't hurt to share your thoughts with your U.S. House representative (or Senator).

Here is a short copy and paste example email to submit on their website:

Good afternoon,

I would like to express my support for extending existing federal income tax credits (Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service) for those who purchase an electric vehicle, regardless of manufacturer. Currently, the tax credits have expired for cars purchased from two U.S. auto manufacturers. These tax credits assist businesses and consumers in the electric transportation marketplace. Thank you.

Sincerely,
_______

Feel free to share/ignore/edit/etc. it with your friends and family. ;)

Find your rep here: Find Your Representative | house.gov

Hello everyone. Long time looker and first time poster, literally :D I joined the forum to become more familiar with Tesla and particularly the model 3. I am ready to purchase a new Model 3. I have been following the purposed bill closely. It is also why I have not ordered already. I am unclear if the EV credit will be applied to purchase price or as a tax credit (to remove tax liability not as a refund). If it is the latter I believe it would be beneficial to push purchase to 2022 and adjust withholding throughout the year to take advantage of the $10,000 credit. My current tax situation nets my family a refund every year so the new tax credit would do me no favors. I don't believe I could create $10,000 of tax liability from 9/27 to end of year. Or, am I viewing this all wrong?? I'm glad to be part of the community and look forward to learning from all of the members here.

Hello everyone. Long time looker and first time poster, literally :D I joined the forum to become more familiar with Tesla and particularly the model 3. I am ready to purchase a new Model 3. I have been following the purposed bill closely. It is also why I have not ordered already. I am unclear if the EV credit will be applied to purchase price or as a tax credit (to remove tax liability not as a refund). If it is the latter I believe it would be beneficial to push purchase to 2022 and adjust withholding throughout the year to take advantage of the $10,000 credit. My current tax situation nets my family a refund every year so the new tax credit would do me no favors. I don't believe I could create $10,000 of tax liability from 9/27 to end of year. Or, am I viewing this all wrong?? I'm glad to be part of the community and look forward to learning from all of the members here.
I don't think that your withholding is the important part, the issue would be your total tax liability. If you've owed >$10k in federal taxes, you could get the full refund. If you've owed less than that, you will likely only be able to get that portion.

I say "likely" here, as this is based on how the EV credit worked before. Other options are possible, as the solar credit could be spread over multiple years, but I haven't heard anything about that being considered for the EV credit.

Looks like the bill is now in jeopardy...

As a West Virginian I can say this is typical Manchin. He’ll likely cave after he gets some press time and pressure from Schumer and Biden. Dude just likes to look like a rebel to keep his constituents slightly happy.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
Anyone in the past have success deferring delivery dates out a month or two? I'm currently sitting on November delivery date. If they pass the EV bill tomorrow, then it would be advantageous to try and defer delivery until 2022.

I imagine the queue is still quite deep (my Nov model Y reservation is from May), and if they pass the EV bill it will just get even longer. So if the bill passes and my Nov delivery date holds, it would be an $8k benefit to defer delivery until 2022, but then I incur the risk of waiting X months in 2022 before coming back up in line.

I've heard you don't go to the end of the line if you defer your delivery date, but seems risky.

Doesn't hurt to share your thoughts with your U.S. House representative (or Senator).

Here is a short copy and paste example email to submit on their website:

Feel free to share/ignore/edit/etc. it with your friends and family. ;)

Find your rep here: Find Your Representative | house.gov
Makes no difference for the current situation.
The only representative that needs to be contacted by constituents is Manchin.

It’s so hard to not order the car after saving and saving and finally having the funds to purchase! I’M READY NOW!!
You can order the car now. If you order the car now you won't get it until 2022, if the tax credit passes you will be able to take advantage of it at that time. The tax credit applies to when you take delivery, not when you place the order. If the tax credit passes there is probably going to be a huge number of orders, if you order now you should get in front of all those orders and get your car earlier.

My order is on hold at the moment, I'm waiting to see what happens with the tax bill. I'm not sure how far Tesla will let me delay the delivery if I want to wait until 2022.

You can order the car now. If you order the car now you won't get it until 2022, if the tax credit passes you will be able to take advantage of it at that time. The tax credit applies to when you take delivery, not when you place the order. If the tax credit passes there is probably going to be a huge number of orders, if you order now you should get in front of all those orders and get your car earlier.

My order is on hold at the moment, I'm waiting to see what happens with the tax bill. I'm not sure how far Tesla will let me delay the delivery if I want to wait until 2022.
You have to be a bit careful as there is a chance you might jump the line and also if there are a lot of Q4 deliveries putting their order on hold. You will move up quickly.

How did you place your order on hold? I can't seem to figure it out.

Problem is I am after a Model 3 Performance. The web site has delivery in November for that particular model. My SA sent me a text yesterday saying they had some Model 3s on the lot and asked if I would be interested in any of them rather than build and wait.

Problem is I am after a Model 3 Performance. The web site has delivery in November for that particular model. My SA sent me a text yesterday saying they had some Model 3s on the lot and asked if I would be interested in any of them rather than build and wait.
You can order now and see what happens with the legislation. If things go our way, you can put your order on hold until next year. That approach also has the virtue of locking in your price.

I read somewhere the max allowable price tag for a sedan is $55k to be eligible for incentives under the proposed new bill? Has anyone else seen this or can anyone speak more on this? I'm set on the performance model which has a purchase price of $56,990 ($1,990 over) If this is true, I might as well go ahead and order now since the performance wouldn't qualify. Thoughts??