Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If 6 Teslas arrive at a supercharger at the same time... won't some of you have to wait... a looong time?
How many charging ports are at the stations?
Just asking ....

Alpha -

3 will be starting from the DE Supercharger and will charge their cars before the other 3 of us get there from Rockville, MD.

When we all get up to the Milford, CT Supercharger - the first 4 will "top off" and then the others remaining afterwards...

Aaron

This will be very interesting. CNN article is ok, but doesn't mention outside temperature. I wonder how you'll design this experiment. Perhaps something like two drivers drive the baseline conditions, and the other 4 vary conditions like speed and interior temp?

Beckler

Will will plan out the particulars when we're all together at the DE Supercharger... To be honest though, I think we should all drive the same speed, with comfortable cabin settings and not vary things to any great extent. One thing is for sure - we will do Range Charges at the Superchargers and at least one of us will *not* plug in to 110v overnight in Groton, CT to prove that with a full Range Charge, you can go from Milford -> Groton -> Milford with overnight temps below freezing...

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

I'm working on getting CNN coverage - they're interested - i have an email into the article author and CNN Futures - hopefully, we'll get responses shortly

Go Jack!!!!

John - Any new info on the Philly TV Station meeting us around 2pm at the DE Supercharger?

Aaron

Great job all, looking forward to this.

Make sure you take plenty of pictures, video if necessary. Take very good notes, including indicated ranges, distances traveled, cabin temp, outside temp, etc. Maybe take pictures as evidence when possible.

Try driving around for 0.6 miles at the Supercharger in Milford...see what that's like. Better yet, time it to do it at night and see how "hard" it is to find.

Can't wait to see the account of the trip, and I hope lots of media outlets pick it up!

A few things:-

- Can someone make a NEMA 5-20 adapter out of some bits from a hardware store?

- If 4 of you are charging on the supercharger, the charge rate will be less (60kW to start, not 90kW) as the power is split across two heads.

- Good luck getting the media on board. As someone else said, at times like this they tend to circle the wagons.

Alpha -

3 will be starting from the DE Supercharger and will charge their cars before the other 3 of us get there from Rockville, MD.

When we all get up to the Milford, CT Supercharger - the first 4 will "top off" and then the others remaining afterwards...

Aaron

aaron.s: When you get to the Milford Supercharger, realize that there are two charging stations on the Northbound side of I95 and two charging stations on the Southbound side. So....if you want to charge 4 cars simultaneously, 2 of you will have to go up to the next exit (very close) and loop back to the Southbound service area.

Good luck. I may meet you in Milford to cheer you on. Unfortunately not in my Model S. It's a few weeks away.

aaron.s: When you get to the Milford Supercharger, realize that there are two charging stations on the Northbound side of I95 and two charging stations on the Southbound side. So....if you want to charge 4 cars simultaneously, 2 of you will have to go up to the next exit (very close) and loop back to the Southbound service area.

Good luck. I may meet you in Milford to cheer you on. Unfortunately not in my Model S. It's a few weeks away.

Borgie

Thanks for the info... Aware of the 2 stations on each side of the road... Have charged at both several times :)

Follow our twitter feed and we'll post an ETA for Milford as we approach!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

All -

A person from Green Car Reports is in contact with me and is interested in our trip... Suggests we do a write-up afterwards for them to post on their site!

Aaron

Dpeilow,

A NEMA 5-20 is just a standard lamp socket (NEMA 5-15) that can supply 20 amps. It looks just like a standard socket but with an extra cut in one of the slots. The standard 120V adapter you have will work just fine, but only allow you to charge at 12A.

Peter