Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red - paint quality issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i see. thanks.

If he has lots of assets (stocks, etc.) and an income below $55,000 then he can still get the full tax credit by selling some of his assets or doing some other distribution that will increase his taxable income for the year to cover the full amount the tax credits offer.

This is (apparently) a pretty common strategy among retirees who have large nest eggs but live off of relatively modest annual incomes.

• Informative
Reactions: Stirfelt
Our M3.JPG

Took delivery of our Red M3 in Sept 2018 Our paint was flawless and all the body panels had good alignment.
We did have to have the windshield replaced and the new one is perfect. Above picture was taken just after I had the T-Sportline 18" turbine wheels installed.

Paint jobs are pretty bad overall for Teslas. You really see them when you apply a clearbra. So much crap gets underneath before they paint so it causes a bubble on the clearbra.

keep in mind debris underpaint usually doesnt fall under paint correction jobs. Since they would have to go through multiple steps to fix that. You would have to buff it all off. Then fill in touchup paint that will look the same but will never 100% blend in. Then they would have to buff that out and then apply the clearbra.

Not yet an owner ... so the comment has no validity.

IF .... I owned a new M3 and the paint was so bad that I could not live with it
no way I'd take it to a SC.

I'd have it completely repainted by the paint shop in St. George, UT that painted my BMW Z3 .... at my own expense.
Beautiful outcome ... high quality paint, beautiful executed and without collateral damage.

Did I make a bad decision?
It really depends on the body shop tesla uses. Mine hopefully was a fluke but between service and the body shop, a LOT (I'm talking 5K+) of additional damage was done to my car just trying to fix it... Several attempts were made to correct and I am still left not fully whole in January when I bought the car and had it serviced in September... Hopefully yours comes out excellent and you don't have to do re-do's on your brand new car. Depends how particular you are as well. When I buy a higher end new product, I expect it to be free from defects. Evidently that is not what I should expect from a new car purchase and particularly from Tesla.

It really depends on the body shop tesla uses. Mine hopefully was a fluke but between service and the body shop, a LOT (I'm talking 5K+) of additional damage was done to my car just trying to fix it... Several attempts were made to correct and I am still left not fully whole in January when I bought the car and had it serviced in September... Hopefully yours comes out excellent and you don't have to do re-do's on your brand new car. Depends how particular you are as well. When I buy a higher end new product, I expect it to be free from defects. Evidently that is not what I should expect from a new car purchase and particularly from Tesla.
Ok, picked the car today and the car is completely ruined.
The swirl marks - it's insane. Its on every panel on the car ....I almost cried they did this to my brandnew..
The front bumper looks like 10 yrs old car now..not to mention the damages...it looks like they buffed it so hard and it almost turned whitish surfaces..again those heavy swirl marks..

Attachments

• bumper 2.jpeg
    bumper 2.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 106
  • bumper 3.jpeg
    bumper 3.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 106
  • bumper 4.jpeg
    bumper 4.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 103
  • bumper left.jpeg
    bumper left.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 109
  • sample heavy swirl mark .jpeg
    sample heavy swirl mark .jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 104
Ok, picked the car today and the car is completely ruined.
The swirl marks - it's insane. Its on every panel on the car ....I almost cried they did this to my brandnew..
The front bumper looks like 10 yrs old car now..not to mention the damages...it looks like they buffed it so hard and it almost turned whitish surfaces..again those heavy swirl marks..
Sorry. I know it sucks, but i'd take it back and have them redo everything you have a problem with and drive around in a loaner for another month... If you aren't happy after that, you'd be way over 30 days out of service and could ask them to buy it back or you can just lemon it... They need to stop doing this hack job crap.

Reactions: 1 person
The apparent disregard for quality, unprofessional workmanship and the myriad of other assembly issues ....
has cost Tesla at least one sale.

It is conceivable that I may someday come back ... but for now it appears that ever since the emphasis changed to quantity ... quality has been vanquished.

If anyone has a recent build that is not plagued with defects .... please post them. We all want to be objective in our appraisal of the situation ... but right now it appears the negatives outnumber the positives.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point I don't think they can fix it. It would need a complete strip back and repaint from scratch basically, which is pretty difficult to do on an assembled car.

look how nicely they decided to run polisher or some sort over the wipers without any covering.

I would take it to a trusted 3rd party detail shop to see what they could do. Since you live in Los Angeles, there are a lot of them around. Some of those guys can perform miracles.

As I mentioned back in post #43, literally the first thing I'm doing with my new cars now is to take them in to a detail shop for 'new car paint correction' and Opti-coating.

I would take it to a trusted 3rd party detail shop to see what they could do.

Not an option for everyone, but I had my Detail Shop owner inspect my MCR finish at delivery. Since he had to perform paint correction after delivery and apply PPF, he was very diligent in inspecting the finish and measuring paint thickness.
Unfortunately, I had to have front bumper and hood repaint, due to dust nibs in the paint, which detailer couldn't fix.
Tesla's body shop did a great job, and PPF turned out great. Most paint defects can be better fixed by competent Detail shop, over Tesla's overworked trainee's.

Reactions: Stirfelt