Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I am sure the thinking there is, "people who purchased these with the car are fans, and we are not giving them money back, so lets give them something we can activate for free that still lets them feel special / enjoy features before others.")

Except that it comes out like: let's milk them some extra via labor to test the firmware.

They have tried to the nice thing to past buyers and it is indeed nice to most of them but screwing the minority who bought FSD just flips it from being a PR win to PR loss. (Those who haven't bought EAP or FSD are clearly in the win and it is debatable if those who only bought EAP win or lose but comparing with other two categories it is clear "screw you" for the buyers of EAP+FSD.)

I completely agree with your statement 100%. (And with a June 2018 EAP delivery am in the same boat). Shareholder and waiting to buy model Y to replace our other vehicle. Not a chance I'd place a first day order on a Model Y now. And like you, I'm not trying to convince others to feel the same way. If you're happy with the situation I'm happy for you.

I did send Tesla a message today stating this same opinion and asked for a follow up. We'll see if they reply.

Tesla has taught us from this situation that it is best to wait it out. Granted, when they start Model Y production there probably won't be this bad of a pricing reduction as I would surmise that they would be in better financial health by then, but still, it's not good when you take a very loyal fan/customer base and screw them over.

It does a company no good when people only fawn over your used cards, especially if they don't buy the used car from the company's own inventory.

I don't want money back, and I don't want anything for free.

All I want is transparency, clarity and accuracy.

The the answers to my two questions do not seem to exist. (though of course we have some strong opinions in inferences!)

1. When an original EAP owner does not purchase FSD now: Do the "enhanced" items of EAP (now rolled into FSD) continue to be updated within the existing EAP? (I assume that everything we have in EAP now will continue to function, but there's been nothing said about future support). To me it seems annoyingly complicated and confusing to updated these FSD features as part of EAP and also as part of FSD going forward. Also seems odd that if we purchase the $2k FSD now, then our EAP I guess is down-graded to AP... for free!

2. When an original EAP owner purchases the $2k FSD option now: Will HW3 and installation be included in this price?

We can (and do!) guess. But we have no actual answers. Unless of course I've totally missed where either of these answers have been addressed. Anybody?

I don't want money back, and I don't want anything for free.

All I want is transparency, clarity and accuracy.

The the answers to my two questions do not seem to exist. (though of course we have some strong opinions in inferences!)

1. When an original EAP owner does not purchase FSD now: Do the "enhanced" items of EAP (now rolled into FSD) continue to be updated within the existing EAP? (I assume that everything we have in EAP now will continue to function, but there's been nothing said about future support). To me it seems annoyingly complicated and confusing to updated these FSD features as part of EAP and also as part of FSD going forward. Also seems odd that if we purchase the $2k FSD now, then our EAP I guess is down-graded to AP... for free!

2. When an original EAP owner purchases the $2k FSD option now: Will HW3 and installation be included in this price?

We can (and do!) guess. But we have no actual answers. Unless of course I've totally missed where either of these answers have been addressed. Anybody?
Fear not, I got your back my friend!

IMG_0396.JPG

Also, if every single person who ever purchased EAP gets FSD for free, that means Tesla will be installing HW3 computers for every one of those customers. The equipment and labor costs would go through the roof.
What would compel you to be certain that getting FSD for free, (or adding it on now for $2k) equates to also having HW3 installed for free? I mean, it has *almost* been officially stated that original buyers would get the new hardware for free... but nothing about that with a "free" or $2k purchase after the fact.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: blake6551
Tesla has made it very clear....

Do NOT reserve a car..... wait...
Do NOT buy AP or FSD at new car launch..... wait.....

And keep complaining the driver stress introduced by an engaged EAP like the Chinese market, in order to get EAP eventually free. For some Youtubers' eulogy or anecdotes, always take it with a grain of salt.

If you want to buy a dream, lottery tickets are cheap.

• Funny
Reactions: S75D
I completely agree with your statement 100%. (And with a June 2018 EAP delivery am in the same boat). Shareholder and waiting to buy model Y to replace our other vehicle. Not a chance I'd place a first day order on a Model Y now. And like you, I'm not trying to convince others to feel the same way. If you're happy with the situation I'm happy for you.

I did send Tesla a message today stating this same opinion and asked for a follow up. We'll see if they reply.

Hope a good lesson learnt. I never could fathom all this talk about "helping Tesla" etc by shelling out $ for non-existent products.

What would compel you to assume that getting FSD for free, (or adding it on now for $2k) equates to also having HW3 installed for free? I mean, it has *almost* been officially stated that original buyers would get the new hardware for free... but nothing about that with a "free" or $2k purchase after the fact.

Without HW3, FSD does not work. So you offer free FSD to people that will never be functional?

Nope you offer free FSD and a Free HW 3 upgrade...

Quite a deal!

Just to clarify, it seems like HW3, as vaguely announced, is standard to everyone who purchases FSD. With that being said, those who will be purchasing AP+FSD for $5K will also get HW3. For those who already have EAP and purchase FSD for an additional $2K (or $3K right now), are paying extra, in comparison, to get FSD and HW3. So, it is absolutely not a deal and simply part of FSD.

Just to clarify, it seems like HW3, as vaguely announced, is standard to everyone who purchases FSD. With that being said, those who will be purchasing AP+FSD for $5K will also get HW3. For those who already have EAP and purchase FSD for an additional $2K (or $3K right now), are paying extra, in comparison, to get FSD and HW3. So, it is absolutely not a deal and simply part of FSD.

If you get the FSD for free....... Then you get the HW 3 for free.... They aren't paying anything... hence FSD for free...

• Funny
Reactions: mdustinsy
Without HW3, FSD does not work. So you offer free FSD to people that will never be functional?
We should not confuse logical reasoning and inference with something that has never been stated.

Heck Tesla already stated that FSD would cost more if you add it later, and now it costs less. And it remains non-functional. But we're happy to assume that because FSD won't work with HW3 that we'll get HW3 included for the lower price too? And installation? Even when that has not been stated anywhere?

Heck Tesla already stated that FSD would cost more if you add it later, and now it costs less. And it remains non-functional. But we're happy to assume that because FSD won't work with HW3 that we'll get HW3 included for the lower price too? And installation? Even when that has not been stated anywhere?

Excpet it has been stated. By Elon Musk. Repeatedly.

And this has been pointed out repeatedly too.