Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, it's been explicitly stated, by Elon Musk, that if you buy FSD you get HW3 upgrade included. Long term.

In reply to someone asking about the price changes not being equal for everyone on FSD-

(bold added)

Plus, as pointed out, doing otherwise is literally impossible since FSD requires HW3.

They can't sell you something and then tell you you don't get it unless you buy other things they never mentioned in the original sale.

Tell that to all the AP1 users.

On twitter recently:

Elon Musk on Twitter

And also on the Q3 conference call:

“[It’s] very important to emphasize that the only thing that needs to change between a car that’s produced today and a car that’s going to be produced in the second quarter of next year is probably the autopilot computer. This is a simply change that takes about half an hour to upgrade the computer. Anyone will be able to upgrade their car to Full Self-Driving capability with a simple service visit. Basically anything made in the last two years will be upgradable to Full Self-Driving. So its better important to emphasize that there’s no need to wait until that comes out because its just a very simple plug and play change to get to Full Self-Driving. Anyone who has made for Full Self-Driving option will get it done for free. It really ends up being a discount on future capability.”

Tesla's HW3 upgrade next year will usher in Full Self-Driving, improved Neural Net computing abilities
Thanks for the effort. You win this round by coming closest yet. I assume that you can still understand my skepticism? The recent Tweet is probably the best indication that we have. The Q3 conference call ends with a sentence that is a source of concern.

On my car's Tesla page, I can purchase FSD for my EAP car purchased in Sept 2018. It says that this FSD purchase will allow me to be one of the first to experience Full Self Driving. It does not say that it includes everything I'll need for that to occur. Adding just a few more words in that space would solve it with precious little effort.

In the meantime, we've now heard countless times that FSD add-on for EAP owners will be $2k. And on my page it showed $2k for the past two days. Today it shows as $3k.

So about these assumptions and clear statements... I just have difficulty being so certain.

Last edited:
I've been seeing the same thing (also on Twitter). It sounds like they're honing in on a "fix" to the mutiny. Probably only to create a new sub-group of mutiny! Anyway, giving folks AP & FSD for $5K wasn't making sense. Nor was giving any EAP owners FSD for free. Sounds like you can probably add AP & FSD for $7K, or EAP owners can add FSD for $2K. Previous FSD owners will get $1K refund. Probably the most equitable solution that doesn't cost Tesla TOO much, but they would have to retract/adjust their blog if they do this....

Good grief - so now they are going to raise the price they just lowered?

Thanks for the effort. You win this round by coming closest yet. I assume that you can still understand my skepticism? The recent Tweet is probably the best indication that we have. The Q3 conference call ends with a sentence that is a source of concern.

On my car's Tesla page, I can purchase FSD for my EAP car purchased in Sept 2018. It says that this FSD purchase will allow me to be one of the first to experience Full Self Driving. It does not say that it includes everything I'll need for that to occur. Adding just a few more words in that space would solve it with precious little effort.

In the meantime, we've now heard countless times that FSD add-on for EAP owners will be $2k. And on my page it showed $2k for the past two days. Today it shows as $3k.

So about these assumptions and clear statements... I just have difficulty being so certain.

Regardless, would recommend waiting before buying any post-delivery Autopilot upgrades. The backlash has been so severe there’s still a chance Tesla will make FSD/HW3 free (or parts and labor cost only) for existing EAP owners.

Regardless, would recommend waiting before buying any post-delivery Autopilot upgrades. The backlash has been so severe there’s still a chance Tesla will make FSD/HW3 free (or parts and labor cost only) for existing EAP owners.
Oh, I agree!

I'm sad that they've brought all this on themselves. Again. And it all started with creating this odd "EAP" grouping of features that had no clear definition nor separation from FSD. Nobody ever knew just exactly which features would be included where. And now to yank EAP apart, and put it back together where it should have started.... gah! Again... all I ever really wanted was clarity and consistency.

And... waiting from yesterday to today has allowed my FSD price to go up by 50%.

Reactions: commasign
Thanks for the effort. You win this round by coming closest yet. I assume that you can still understand my skepticism?.

Not really to be honest.

Elon Musk said:
Those who order full self-driving get the upgrade at no cost.

Seems pretty clear to me.

That's from an August 2018 tweet BTW, so it's not even new.

The one I quoted you a few posts ago is from just a couple days ago, and says the same thing, but adds the fact that upgrade offer is a long term one, rather than a limited time one.

It's crystal clear based on everything he's actually said.

Reactions: commasign
Good grief - so now they are going to raise the price they just lowered?
This is why Tesla needs to think more thoroughly when they make these announcements. Their blog post was great for everyone......except probably their LARGEST group of owners! Oops. You can't give AP & FSD for $5K to previous owners without pissing off EAP purchasers who already paid that and didn't get FSD! Tesla probably can't afford (or shouldn't) to give FSD to all EAP buyers either. So, make it $7K for all previous owners. It's less than buying it today. It's less than it's supposed to be to add it later. It's almost equal for everyone. Folks who bought FSD before could be upset for not being somehow rewarded for their faith. But, it's the closest thing to fair that I can see from here, so if they do, in fact, do it, I'll be happy personally.

Not really to be honest.
Comment was directed at commasign.

Seems pretty clear to me.
Yes, I understand that it is pretty clear to you. That's not been one of my questions, however.

That's from an August 2018 tweet BTW, so it's not even new.
Right. Which wouldn't cover today's fiasco with the reshuffle of EAP and pricing of everything.

It's crystal clear based on everything he's actually said.
I will stipulate that I'm just too thick to see this as "crystal clear." My definition of "crystal clear" is actually stating it on the page where the item is being purchased. Many important people with millions of followers have been "crystal clear" in their Tweets over the past couple of years, and.... well. I'll stop.

I get that this is obvious to you. There's no need to continue.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I'm sure Musk and team are well aware of the consequences of their actions. They weren't born yesterday. They are ALWAYS making calculated decisions that they feel are in the best interest of their corporate mission. It looks like they are pretty good at threading the needle.

The backseat drivers can take a break now. It's all under control. ;)

lol, like "funding secured"

Reactions: TT97
Maybe folks are suspicious of Tesla, but when did people start to wonder if FSD would somehow NOT include HW3.0????

I think some confusion popped up when parts of EAP became FSD. So technically, those who bought EAP (including myself) now have FSD. We just don't get access to some of the other FSD features coming later this year where HW3 is needed.

Although not in bright lights, Elon has stated many times that a hardware upgrade is needed for FSD - done and done. If you spent money for FSD, you will get HW3.

also another misleading sales tactic is the way HW3 is being billed as if it is a unique feature to those paying up another $2K for FSD. It is not; it is standard to all FSD purchasers regardless of how much you have paid for it. again, in the current status quo, the issue is that Tesla has created an unequal pricing market for certain owners given what they have already purchased.
I agree that Tesla is not treating all owners the same and it is unfair form the perspective of a car company who wanted to have transparency in pricing, but I think their rationalization is in line with market forces.

People who neither bought EAP/FSD originally presumably saw very little value there or at least less value than the price originally asked for. So if Tesla is going to use market forces decisions “Charge what the market will bear.” then they would have to charge less for EAP/FSD of those owners who never bought them. I being one of them.

I saw no value in $5K for EAP and even less in $3K for FSD. I only wanted TACC and that was worth no more than $500 to me. Even with this so called great deal of $2K for AP, I am still not biting until it gets way lower or free, but some will, which will make Tesla more money than the zero they got from us thus far.

So form a strictly market driven decision it makes sense to charge those who see the value more and those who don't see the value less. Legacy dealerships do this all the time but they are not transparent about it for exactly the reason there are 24 pages in this thread. Tesla promised to be transparent and fair and they failed on both.

Is not right of Tesla is to lie (or badly miscalculate) and say that the price will be more later which artificially drives people to make certain decisions and then renege on that causing them to lose money. They should have never said anything about costing more later. They should have just kept the price the same pre and post purchase and made no promise at all. Then any price change would have been see as normal.

Now the only way to regain trust and show that they are treating everyone equally is to make EAP/FSD be $5K total for all existing owners in all scenarios. Sure they will lose some money but they can't keep avoiding having to pay the price for poor decision making.

I've been seeing the same thing (also on Twitter). It sounds like they're honing in on a "fix" to the mutiny. Probably only to create a new sub-group of mutiny! Anyway, giving folks AP & FSD for $5K wasn't making sense. Nor was giving any EAP owners FSD for free. Sounds like you can probably add AP & FSD for $7K, or EAP owners can add FSD for $2K. Previous FSD owners will get $1K refund. Probably the most equitable solution that doesn't cost Tesla TOO much, but they would have to retract/adjust their blog if they do this....

Wait, what? The blog entry on Tesla's site is the latest official word, and has been reinforced by Musk tweets. It says anyone who bought previous to last week's pricing change will be able to buy AP for $2k or FSD for $3k. Also, anyone who previously bought EAP can add FSD for $2k. Some people may not like that, but it's pretty clear what they're saying.

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Wait, what? The blog entry on Tesla's site is the latest official word, and has been reinforced by Musk tweets. It says anyone who bought previous to last week's pricing change will be able to buy AP for $2k or FSD for $3k. Also, anyone who previously bought EAP can add FSD for $2k. Some people may not like that, but it's pretty clear what they're saying.

Yeah, but that easy "one click" payment is different (higher) for many of us, than what is stated here. Why they don't keep this off the order page until it is cleared up is beyond me. My price on that page has changed three times in four days. I can't imagine the headache this will cause for refunds and ill-will.

I understand this is currently the official position from Tesla.
This position is creating serious backlash and as I understand it (sources from Twitter), Tesla is working a deviation from their current position. All I can say is stay tuned because it's totally unverified at this stage.

Maybe folks are suspicious of Tesla, but when did people start to wonder if FSD would somehow NOT include HW3.0????
Upgrading tens (or perhaps hundreds?) of thousands of cars would be hugely expensive and clog already overloaded service centers. For that reason alone it's not unreasonable to suspect that they will avoid upgrading the hardware in existing cars if they can find a way.

More generally, there is perhaps a lack of trust after many broken promises and shifting goal posts.
no, it's been explicitly stated, by Elon Musk, that if you buy FSD you get HW3 upgrade included. Long term.
What does the "long term" mean?
Plus, as pointed out, doing otherwise is literally impossible since FSD requires HW3.
It's not impossible. It depends on how you define FSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty
I understand this is currently the official position from Tesla.
This position is creating serious backlash and as I understand it (sources from Twitter), Tesla is working a deviation from their current position. All I can say is stay tuned because it's totally unverified at this stage.

There are a significant number of people, like me, who didn't buy EAP and are now expecting to buy AP for $2k. If they go back on their statement, they'll just piss off a different group of people.

I've already taken screen shots of the blog entry, and have an email response from Tesla support saying I will soon be able to order AP for $2k. Apparently it's taking a few days to update accounts with the new lower pricing. They're smoking some good stuff if they think they're not going to honor what they've advertised.

This is why Tesla needs to think more thoroughly when they make these announcements. Their blog post was great for everyone......except probably their LARGEST group of owners! Oops. You can't give AP & FSD for $5K to previous owners without pissing off EAP purchasers who already paid that and didn't get FSD! Tesla probably can't afford (or shouldn't) to give FSD to all EAP buyers either. So, make it $7K for all previous owners. It's less than buying it today. It's less than it's supposed to be to add it later. It's almost equal for everyone. Folks who bought FSD before could be upset for not being somehow rewarded for their faith. But, it's the closest thing to fair that I can see from here, so if they do, in fact, do it, I'll be happy personally.
Yes I agree that Tesla will be hard pressed to afford giving free FSD to EAP buyers. But they CAN afford to give both for $5K to those who bought neither because, at the old price, that crowd was not interested anyway and they may win back some of those lost sales at the lower $5K price but not if it goes back up to $7K.

Personally I am waiting for a more significant drop. $5K for both is still to high. It will go lower folks. AP will eventually be free and included with the car. FSD might become subscription based with yearly hardware upgrades included.