Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can understand that undelivered vehicles with EAP get upgraded to FSD, but what exactly is the purpose of this give-away for undelivered orders: "Customers who have not purchased Enhanced Autopilot will get upgraded to Autopilot at no cost"?

Reactions: Perry
I can understand that undelivered vehicles with EAP get upgraded to FSD, but what exactly is the purpose of this give-away for undelivered orders: "Customers who have not purchased Enhanced Autopilot will get upgraded to Autopilot at no cost"?
Well, do they get the reduced $2k price too? Even if so, good for them on a good AP/FSD deal. Likely those orders will no longer have EAP, so they bumped them to the next level?

"Customers who have purchased Full Self-Driving in the past will be invited to our Early Access Program so long as space in the program is available?"

WTF??? Even more gotchas now?

FTxmyRJ.png
WOW!... If that is true.... That's a MAJOR F*** U.....

It just get's better...

I totally get bending over backward for undelivered orders.
But, for already delivered orders:
If you bought nothing, you get AP for $3K less than people that already bought it. ALSO, you can get FSD for the same price as people that already bought it, but $1K more than EAP-only owers get it for
If you bought EAP, you get FSD for $1K less than people that already bought or owners that didn't have EAP
If you bought EAP & FSD, you're a sucker for supporting Tesla. Here's an EAP trinket.

Same story as before, told a slightly different way. I still have heartburn that Tesla isn't charging more for FSD to owners that bought nothing and I just don't understand the justification!
IMO, giving non-EAP owner the $2K AP is a sweet deal, don't need to offer deal on FSD other than current new-order pricing (not higher post-order rate)
For FSD owners, aren't there so few they could give them $1K back paid for by the extra money generated by NOT giving FSD to non-EAP owners for $3K!!!

Autopilot for 4k (cdn) is a joke. Its a slightly advanced lane keep assist that most manufacturers include. Still needs to drop in price significantly to be worth it. You almost have to spring for both to get something that is more advanced and worth the price of admission.

If you bought nothing, you get AP for $3K less than people that already bought it. ALSO, you can get FSD for the same price as people that already bought it, but $1K more than EAP-only owers get it for
If you bought EAP, you get FSD for $1K less than people that already bought or owners that didn't have EAP
If you bought EAP & FSD, you're a sucker for supporting Tesla. Here's an EAP trinket.

Same story as before, told a slightly different way. I still have heartburn that Tesla isn't charging more for FSD to owners that bought nothing and I just don't understand the justification!
IMO, giving non-EAP owner the $2K AP is a sweet deal, don't need to offer deal on FSD other than current new-order pricing (not higher post-order rate)
For FSD owners, aren't there so few they could give them $1K back paid for by the extra money generated by NOT giving FSD to non-EAP owners for $3K!!!

Ahh ok, 5k still for previous people who bought nothing trying to entice them into something they don't really want.

For FSD owners, aren't there so few they could give them $1K back paid for by the extra money generated by NOT giving FSD to non-EAP owners for $3K!!![/QUOTE

They should add "Purchase before Dec 31, 2019" prices go back up to the then current after delivered price. They should generate a good volume of buyers and that should fund the $$$ credit for people who bought FSD for original registered owners.

They also "can't sell you" FSD with the promise that this will be lower than if you hold off and purchase it later... and subsequently drop the price later. And yet here we are.

I do appreciate the effort. I totally get the assumptions.

Actually... technically, they can sell that, even if it is a bit confusing. If someone bought a Model 3 in 2018 with EAP and FSD, there was a period of time (later) where it would have been more expensive to add it after purchase. So they actually held to what they said. Now if people expected AP and FSD to never, ever drop in price, that's a misunderstanding of the tech and the market.

It would be easy for me to have buyer’s remorse over the recent AP/FSD price drops...
I do not...
In March ‘18, I purchased a Model S 100D with EAP @ $5,000 and a Model 3 LR RWD with AEP @ $5,000 in April ‘18
I was actually regretting not getting FSD for $3,000 on delivery. I really felt that additional hardware would be necessary and Elon Musk had already said something to the effect that anyone who had already purchased FSD would get any necessary hardware free. This was well before any mention of hardware 3.0 where it was also asserted.
I did buy the FSD upgrade on the Model S for $4,000 in October ($5,000- $1,000 refund many months after)
I purchased FSD for the Model 3 on March 1, 2019 @ 3,000.
Now expecting a $1,000 refund.
So, when the dust settles, it wil have cost me $16,000 for both cars. $8,000 each. Exactly what it would have cost at the time of purchase. I am confident I will get 3.0 hardware on both cars. I may get in the early access program. I earned $15,000 in tax credits & got a sales tax exemption on the first $32,000 for the Model 3. I now have unlimited free Supercharging in the Model S as long as I own it. Free Unlimited LTE access plus free streaming content on both cars, all the good stuff from the referral program... Kid’s Model S, Arachnids Wheels, Powerwall 2, Attended Tesla Semi/Roadster Reveal, Future invite to drive the Boring Machine plus a substantial Roadster Discount which I will likely never use. It’s been a blast!
Love driving and talking Tesla. A fantastic new passion for me (others see it as an obsession). So all in all, I not only got a better deal than I expected, I feel I’m actually ahead of the game compared to new buyers...
Life’s too short for regrets and to drive an archaic vehicle (everything not Tesla)

There are a significant number of people, like me, who didn't buy EAP and are now expecting to buy AP for $2k. If they go back on their statement, they'll just piss off a different group of people.

I'm one of those people, and it won't piss me off at all. Tesla made the wrong choice by offering it so inexpensively to those of us who purchased none of it initially. They should correct it. It isn't about my personal benefit. It's about making the best choice they can for the most customers and for Tesla.

I’m thinking to myself “If I buy AP for $2k this week, and then Tesla gives it away to everyone for free in 6 months, would I be losing my mind?” I guess I would be somewhat annoyed. But, I would have had use of AP for 6 months, and I really should expect that it will be free at some point relatively soon (charging extra for radar cruise control on a premium car won’t fly for much longer). So, I think I’d be ok.

Now, if I was foolish enough to pay $3k for FSD this week and it dropped to $1k (about all the current features are worth) in 6 months, then I’d guess I’d be raising hell. But really, I would have rolled the dice on a vague promise and lost. Could I really blame Tesla for taking advantage of my stupidity? Suffice it to say, I won’t be buying FSD until is actually does something useful.

Reactions: Perry and zmarty