Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Autopilot system does NOT make driving safer and may even increase the risk of crashes, new report suggests - upending the findings of 2017 safety investigation
Tesla's Autopilot system does NOT make driving safer and may even increase the risk of crashes | Daily Mail Online

Do not buy FSD until Tesla installs a LIDAR in its cars.

Well, if it's in the Daily Mail, it must be spot on. Do you have a National Inquirer article as well for a second source?

Every FSD video I have ever seen always had rectangular identifications, why does their video have circles?

Last edited:
What does the "long term" mean?

I admire your ability to grasp for increasingly ridiculous straws in your argument...

It's not impossible. It depends on how you define FSD.

Literally every definition Tesla has ever provided when selling the feature includes things that Elon has explicitly said will require HW3.

So yes, it is impossible.

Here is what I received from my advisor this afternoon.

The nuance is in the delivery date.

View attachment 383398

This makes more sense than anyone who purchased in 2019 gets free AP. As the car is undelivered, the owner could just cancel the order for the new cheaper price, the free AP/FSD is just a way to close the gap from the old pricing to the new pricing to keep the purchasers from just cancelling their order.

Reactions: Perry
Confirmed. Price now $2000.

75D3DF15-69B7-44D3-AA6E-70BD61675E66.png

Nope. We’re all adults and made our own decisions. I could have blown some extra money on EAP when I bought my car in mid 2018. But, I only wanted TACC and figured I’d wait until Tesla was desperate for cash and offered it a decent price. That day has arrived and I will be taking advantage.

As for FSD, I agree that Tesla lied when they said it would be cheaper to buy in advance. They’re still telling the same lie to anyone who buys today (hint: don’t fall for it). If FSD ever has something useful included, I’ll wait until Tesla is desperate for cash again and buy it then.

I disagree that Tesla lied. If I had purchased EAP with my vehicle in 2018, it would have been $5K. If I had purchased it the next day, it would have been $6K. So it absolutely was more expensive after. It's when people start believing that "after" = "for eternity" that we have a problem.

And my position on this has nothing to do with the idea of waiting for Tesla to become "desperate for cash" and offer AP/FSD for "a decent price". That's a completely separate subject from what is happening here. AP+FSD is the same $8K with new car purchases as it was last year. These low prices for existing owners is them attempting to balance the scales for previous customers. It has nothing to do with desperation. My position has to do with the fact that certain customers are being treated *much* differently than others. I want to see that rectified. Do you?

From Tesla.com.
False. It is $8,000 now for AP+FSD with a new car, and up to $11,000 if you buy both afterward. The special pricing you mentioned is *only* for existing owners who haven’t already bought EAP or FSD.

I hear you; I think we crossed wires a bit re: "new buyers." I meant new buyers of AP + FSD...not of a new car. My comments were specifically talking about the context of existing owners and the prices they would be paying/had paid for the features. None of my comments were meant to relate to new car buyers...I don't think anyone in this thread cares much about the new car buyers, it seems mostly for people that already have it or at least had ordered, thus my snarky first line in my response...we just had different context.

The main point I was trying to make was that the EAP + FSD folks are getting the shaft a bit if they aren't refunded $1,000. I don't see any other reasonable argument against that position and I think you agreed re: that segment sort of being screwed.

My second point was basically that people that purchased EAP got something for purchasing EAP. Prices change over time so while I get they may not be happy about it, I don't see a particularly strong case they should get an even better deal. At the same time, if I were making decisions at Tesla, I would probably be offering something more to the people that very recently took delivery and had paid for EAP because they haven't had much opportunity to extract any real value from that...but I don't see it as an obligation, more a common courtesy that would certainly pay itself back in goodwill.

From Tesla.com.
I have no idea how many people bought FSD before it provided anything, but I assume it’s a very small number. Tesla is throwing them a bone in the Early Access Program offer, and presumably putting them at the front of the line for the HW3 upgrade. Maybe that’s not good enough to appease them? I don’t know.

I suspect it is more than you think but even if I'm wrong, that just makes it even more reasonable to refund them the $1,000. Maybe some people will value the EAP, other won't, but in my eyes, that should have been offered in addition to the $1,000 refund. These are the people they should be rewarding, not kicking sand in their eyes. I'm guessing Tesla offers the $1k refund because if they don't, some short seller will fund a lawsuit to get it and they'd win.

Actually... technically, they can sell that, even if it is a bit confusing. If someone bought a Model 3 in 2018 with EAP and FSD, there was a period of time (later) where it would have been more expensive to add it after purchase. So they actually held to what they said. Now if people expected AP and FSD to never, ever drop in price, that's a misunderstanding of the tech and the market.
Let's not group EAP (something that I purchased, that exists, and that I'm using) with FSD that has never existed. My understanding of tech and the market is that you really piss people off when you change the price of something that hasn't yet been delivered.

I don't think we need to waste any more time on this. We all understand the challenges here.

Reactions: redhaute
Uh...ok.... I looked it up.

It has literally nothing to do with AP1.

In fact it's dated 2012, AP1 didn't even exist until 2014.

So not sure what the point of your non sequitur that had nothing to do with the topic was.

No, it's much worse then that because it refers to "ALL" tesla's ever sold would get lighted vanity mirrors retrofitting for "free" once they were "ready", I guess in 2018 they were deemed ready because they started appearing on model S's. Ask how many people got free lighted vanity mirror upgrades that were promised to them back in 2012?

I'll answer for you 0.

So, if mirrors costing ~$300 aren't being retrofitted, you really think Tesla is going to drop $1k on a new computer and drop it in for you? They changes the wording and the specs for EAP / FSD deliberately, this is Elon kicking the can down the road again so that he can say he delivered and realize those gains.

Oh and as for the AP1 stuff, Elon also "tweeted" that AP1 would not be left behind and it would continue to receive AP updates, they never got any except for increased nags.

It would be easy for me to have buyer’s remorse over the recent AP/FSD price drops...
I do not...
In March ‘18, I purchased a Model S 100D with EAP @ $5,000 and a Model 3 LR RWD with AEP @ $5,000 in April ‘18
I was actually regretting not getting FSD for $3,000 on delivery. I really felt that additional hardware would be necessary and Elon Musk had already said something to the effect that anyone who had already purchased FSD would get any necessary hardware free. This was well before any mention of hardware 3.0 where it was also asserted.
I did buy the FSD upgrade on the Model S for $4,000 in October ($5,000- $1,000 refund many months after)
I purchased FSD for the Model 3 on March 1, 2019 @ 3,000.
Now expecting a $1,000 refund.
So, when the dust settles, it wil have cost me $16,000 for both cars. $8,000 each. Exactly what it would have cost at the time of purchase. I am confident I will get 3.0 hardware on both cars. I may get in the early access program. I earned $15,000 in tax credits & got a sales tax exemption on the first $32,000 for the Model 3. I now have unlimited free Supercharging in the Model S as long as I own it. Free Unlimited LTE access plus free streaming content on both cars, all the good stuff from the referral program... Kid’s Model S, Arachnids Wheels, Powerwall 2, Attended Tesla Semi/Roadster Reveal, Future invite to drive the Boring Machine plus a substantial Roadster Discount which I will likely never use. It’s been a blast!
Love driving and talking Tesla. A fantastic new passion for me (others see it as an obsession). So all in all, I not only got a better deal than I expected, I feel I’m actually ahead of the game compared to new buyers...
Life’s too short for regrets and to drive an archaic vehicle (everything not Tesla)
Love your post and outlook.