Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only Tesla could upset me by lowering the price and now somehow manage to do it again by raising it. What a mess that will make Tesla some short term millions and cost them billions in the long term.

People with EAP should get to keep the $2k FSD upgrade in the future. The only people that got screwed more were those that leased a vehicle with FSD and got a $50 refund or whatever it was.

So my AP update finished yesterday and then this morning I got the Update 5.15.

I tried to use the autopilot but when i didn't the icons wouldn't turn blue like it did when I had my trial. The car wouldn't auto steer.

Is this how AP supposed to work vs EAP?
It autosteers fine. You just need to click autosteer beta on in options. It does not change lanes though.

I just looked and auto steer beta is on. The car would auto steer back into the lane if drove over the line but it would not follow the road like it did on EAP trial.
Mine follows the road just fine. Did you push down twice on the stalk to engage autosteer? Once is adaptive cruise and twice is AP. If that doesn’t work I would reset car and or maybe call.

I bought AP and FSD for $5k today. Obviously I originally passed it up when I took delivery. I was on the fence about EAP, but decided it was too expensive. FSD always seemed like a prayer to me, so that was never on the cards (except I figured I could always add it if/when it was released, depending on the price). However, now that FSD is essentially EAP (for the original 5k) plus a free promise, I am in. I had no intention of giving Tesla another $5k anytime soon, but the offer was too good, and now it’s evidently ‘limited time’, so I bit. I gave Tesla another $5k in cash in what sounds like a difficult quarter; I suspect this was Musk’s plan all along.

I’m fully aware I got a better deal than my contemporaries who bought FSD up front (or worse, after delivery), and I can understand their frustration, but I really think the ‘I want my free ride on a Falcon 9’ stuff has gone too far. I’ve been on the short end of the stick enough (delays to my car, so they could prioritize non-reservation holders nearer to Fremont, to boost Q3 deliveries last year, cost me $3000 in state rebates). I was a little bitter, sure, but I got over it. In the end I love the car, and I got what I paid for at the price I agreed to pay. And then some...

No seriously, and then some! I’m getting v3 supercharging, for FREE, an update Tesla would be well within their rights to charge us all $3,000 for. Fluffy pieces like sentry mode and dog sitter mode too, FREE. Then there is the power output boost, also FREE. We are all getting for free things we were never promised, and didn’t pay for. I don’t see anyone volunteering to write Tesla a check for these new features we were never promised.

My point is, you win some you lose some, but in the end Tesla is the only car I’ve ever had that is sometimes newer in the morning when I wake up than it was when I went to bed. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I bought AP and FSD for $5k today. Obviously I originally passed it up when I took delivery. I was on the fence about EAP, but decided it was too expensive. FSD always seemed like a prayer to me, so that was never on the cards (except I figured I could always add it if/when it was released, depending on the price). However, now that FSD is essentially EAP (for the original 5k) plus a free promise, I am in. I had no intention of giving Tesla another $5k anytime soon, but the offer was too good, and now it’s evidently ‘limited time’, so I bit. I gave Tesla another $5k in cash in what sounds like a difficult quarter; I suspect this was Musk’s plan all along.

I’m fully aware I got a better deal than my contemporaries who bought FSD up front (or worse, after delivery), and I can understand their frustration, but I really think the ‘I want my free ride on a Falcon 9’ stuff has gone too far. I’ve been on the short end of the stick enough (delays to my car, so they could prioritize non-reservation holders nearer to Fremont, to boost Q3 deliveries last year, cost me $3000 in state rebates). I was a little bitter, sure, but I got over it. In the end I love the car, and I got what I paid for at the price I agreed to pay. And then some...

No seriously, and then some! I’m getting v3 supercharging, for FREE, an update Tesla would be well within their rights to charge us all $3,000 for. Fluffy pieces like sentry mode and dog sitter mode too, FREE. Then there is the power output boost, also FREE. We are all getting for free things we were never promised, and didn’t pay for. I don’t see anyone volunteering to write Tesla a check for these new features we were never promised.

My point is, you win some you lose some, but in the end Tesla is the only car I’ve ever had that is sometimes newer in the morning when I wake up than it was when I went to bed. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

This is basically me. Going to hold out to until tonight’s event but the plan is to buy both AP + FSD for the 5K. Always figured that if there was a tough quarter where they needed cash, a sale on the software upgrades would be the route they would take. This seems to be that quarter. Fingers crossed for FSD to become something.

This is basically me. Going to hold out to until tonight’s event but the plan is to buy both AP + FSD for the 5K. Always figured that if there was a tough quarter where they needed cash, a sale on the software upgrades would be the route they would take. This seems to be that quarter. Fingers crossed for FSD to become something.
The event isn't until the 14th, so you'll have to hold out for another 24 hours!

• Funny
Reactions: dnvr-ev

Their car is fantastic. But, I don’t think it’s unfair to ask for stability in pricing, value, and strategy. That just takes a decent management team. I already paid $2k for ap. If I buy the FSD for $3k then my car won’t be underwater from buyers who came weeks after me. I feel like I have to put $3k more on a credit card to be fair to myself and not feel played. If Tesla did this software sale intentionally, it was a stroke of genius. I somehow doubt it was intentional because of the stock drop and reputation damage, though. They honestly believed that making a standard plus and dropping prices 6% would bring everyone to the table. The software prices and freebies thst followed were knee-jerk reactions that created so much FUD and in fighting that they have completely reversed course. This couldn't have been the plan all along.

Reactions: Carl_P
Normal car manufacturers and dealers change pricing by thousands of dollars month-to-month using various incentives/rebates, and no one comments on it. I guess it's because people don't usually realize that the car they bought 3 months ago is now far less expensive?

Buying a $40-50k car is not a sound financial decision, unless you need it for some business reason. It's a depreciating asset bought for pleasure/vanity reasons, so everyone should expect to lose money.

Normal car manufacturers and dealers change pricing by thousands of dollars month-to-month using various incentives/rebates, and no one comments on it. I guess it's because people don't usually realize that the car they bought 3 months ago is now far less expensive?.

None of them drop the price on a preorder and then don't refund the difference to those who paid more.

Which is what Tesla was pulling with the FSD price drop.

That's the piece folks keep missing.

Reactions: Chewy3