Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you work for Tesla? If you do then I will believe everything you say. Otherwise, are you merely basing your information off of what Elon says?

Spoiler: Elon works for Tesla.

(and is also its single largest owner)

D
Since Tesla changes their mind every day about everything does that not give you pause as to the accuracy of all your information?

On a topic where the CEO, and largest shareholder, has been consistently giving the exact same answer, without pause, over and over again, going back at least to mid last year (and arguably to 2017 when they first mentioned FSD includes any needed HW upgrades during the 2->2.5 transition)?

Especially when that answer makes a tremendous amount of sense given everything else we know? (repeated claimed HW3 is required for future FSD features- the fact they bothered to invest to MAKE HW3 in the first place- the cost it'd involve maintaining multiple software development branches for varied HW streams- etc)

No, not even slightly.

So recently, Elon tweeted that we would receive "confirmation-free" Navigate on Autopilot in a March 15 wide release. That day has passed and there hasn't been a peep about it. Who was saying that they were relying on his tweets to make purchasing decisions?

Elon also tweeted in November 2018 that the advanced Summon would come in around 6 weeks. That was six months ago.

Speaking of six months, on January 23rd, 2017 Elon tweeted about that, too. Definitely.

Yes Elon always delivers in his tweets.

Spoiler: Elon works for Tesla.

(and is also its single largest owner)

On a topic where the CEO, and largest shareholder, has been consistently giving the exact same answer, without pause, over and over again, going back at least to mid last year (and arguably to 2017 when they first mentioned FSD includes any needed HW upgrades during the 2->2.5 transition)?

Especially when that answer makes a tremendous amount of sense given everything else we know? (repeated claimed HW3 is required for future FSD features- the fact they bothered to invest to MAKE HW3 in the first place- the cost it'd involve maintaining multiple software development branches for varied HW streams- etc)

No, not even slightly.
Being that he’s an eccentric billionaire and likely has difficulty relating to the plight of the average man, do you really think Elon cares what he has excitedly promised or not promised vaguely or in your mind definitely in different forums? I have met wealthy eccentric people before and they have no concept of what it means to fulfill a promise. They are so excited about their ideas and they have no worry about money as they are wealthy, so they think in a completely different way than I do. They care about outcome and advancing their agenda and never think twice about how prices impact other people.

Being that he’s an eccentric billionaire and likely has difficulty relating to the plight of the average man, do you really think Elon cares what he has excitedly promised or not promised vaguely

Vaguely? Possibly not.

Regarding the HW3 upgrade though he's promised it very specifically, repeatedly, and consistently.

You honestly have to go hugely out of your way to find some crazy conspiracy theory where that promise doesn't get kept.... wherein not only has he consistently and clearly and directly lied about it for a year or two to the public, he also dumped a ton of time and money into hiring a team to custom create their own AP computer much more powerful than the 2.x one, had his software team creating much more complex neural nets to run on that hardware to handle future FSD features, and spend engineering time to insure it was easy to swap the new computer into previous cars, and then.... NOT actually use any of it....because.... REASONS!

Reactions: JBT66 and preilly44
I'll jump in here because why not. @Mod3forMe, I'm going to post the references to the interviews with Elon about HW3. @Knightshade quoted all of this before, but I don't think the references were there, but there is no more proof than this. So if this doesn't convince you, so be it, but at this point, if they don't follow through, I'd suspect they be in pretty deep water.

[this is a repost of my post on model3ownersclub]

Will people who buy FSD get updated to HW3 as part of that? YES
Reference Article. Quote from Article (written 20 FEB 2019):
During his conversation with the ARK Invest CIO and analyst, Musk reiterated a point he made last year, stating that everyone who purchased Full Self-Driving would be getting Tesla’s Hardware 3 upgrade for free.
Is HW3 really a simple computer swap? YES
Reference Article. NOTE: Article written in Oct 2018. Relevant quote from article, quoting Elon:
“[It’s] very important to emphasize that the only thing that needs to change between a car that’s produced today and a car that’s going to be produced in the second quarter of next year is probably the autopilot computer. This is a simply change that takes about half an hour to upgrade the computer. Anyone will be able to upgrade their car to Full Self-Driving capability with a simple service visit. "
Note: This also indicates no HW3 cars shipping before 2Q2019.​

Has anything shipped with HW3 Yet? Unlikely
Reference Article. NOTE: Article written in Oct 2018. Relevant quote from article:
Keeping Tesla’s tendency to continuously innovate, Musk later stated that HW3 would be equipped in all new production cars in around 6 months.
That would make it ~ April 2019... I suppose there's a chance it accelerated to "now" but seems extremely unlikely it would be before now.​

I purchased EAP before 2/28. My account shows a $3k upgrade price for FSD, but then makes me add AP for a total of $5k.

Thought the website was supposed to be updated already with the $2k upgrade price for FSD (and to recognize EAP > AP)? I submitted a ticket with Tesla, but don't have a lot of hope that it'll be fixed today. Anyone else in this boat?

I'll jump in here because why not. @Mod3forMe, I'm going to post the references to the interviews with Elon about HW3. @Knightshade quoted all of this before, but I don't think the references were there, but there is no more proof than this. So if this doesn't convince you, so be it, but at this point, if they don't follow through, I'd suspect they be in pretty deep water.

[this is a repost of my post on model3ownersclub]

Will people who buy FSD get updated to HW3 as part of that? YES
Reference Article. Quote from Article (written 20 FEB 2019):
Is HW3 really a simple computer swap? YES
Reference Article. NOTE: Article written in Oct 2018. Relevant quote from article, quoting Elon:

Note: This also indicates no HW3 cars shipping before 2Q2019.​

Has anything shipped with HW3 Yet? Unlikely
Reference Article. NOTE: Article written in Oct 2018. Relevant quote from article:

That would make it ~ April 2019... I suppose there's a chance it accelerated to "now" but seems extremely unlikely it would be before now.​

Good post. I am aware of the interview but also aware what Telsa will tell you if you ask them if you get HW3 with FSD purchase (They don't know). Yes I agree the company would get in 'hot water' if they did not followed through, but they have been in hot water before for comments Elon has made. Already Telsa reps are playing the word game - stating Elon said that if you had Purchased (past tense) FSD you will get HW3 but he has not taken a position on if Purchase now or in the future will you get HW3. For me it is a $4k purchase, something I am not going to make without a straight answer.

To add to the HW3 shipping comments. According to Electrek as of January 23 Tesla had not started production of HW3 yet and did not expect to start production until around the end of this month.

We contacted Tesla about the new diagram for Model 3 to ask if it means that the Autopilot 3.0 computer is now being installed in new Model 3 vehicles.

The company denied that it’s currently in production and reiterated Bannon’s timeline

Last year, Bannon said that they were ramping up their manufacturing effort and aiming to start production around the end of the first quarter of 2019.

Purchased my LR RWD back in Sept 2018. Did not opt for EAP or FSD.

Have the option to add AP for $2000 and FSD for $3000.

Just grabbed the AP for $2000. Still on the fence for whether or not to add FSD for another $3000.
For AP-only, is it true one cannot change lanes with the system engaged? Blinker will not steer the car into the next lane (like EAP trial?), have to totally disengage?

FSD on city roads -> onramp -> highway would be quite something, but I'm just not sure it's close to a reality. And even if it were, the legal fight has yet to begin, no? Will do some additional reading tonight. Would hate to have to pay ~$7000 1-2 years from now for something I could lock in for $3000 today.

Reactions: dnvr-ev
Good post. I am aware of the interview but also aware what Telsa will tell you if you ask them if you get HW3 with FSD purchase (They don't know). Yes I agree the company would get in 'hot water' if they did not followed through, but they have been in hot water before for comments Elon has made. Already Telsa reps are playing the word game - stating Elon said that if you had Purchased (past tense) FSD you will get HW3 but he has not taken a position on if Purchase now or in the future will you get HW3. For me it is a $4k purchase, something I am not going to make without a straight answer.

To add to the HW3 shipping comments. According to Electrek as of January 23 Tesla had not started production of HW3 yet and did not expect to start production until around the end of this month.

We contacted Tesla about the new diagram for Model 3 to ask if it means that the Autopilot 3.0 computer is now being installed in new Model 3 vehicles.

The company denied that it’s currently in production and reiterated Bannon’s timeline

Last year, Bannon said that they were ramping up their manufacturing effort and aiming to start production around the end of the first quarter of 2019.

Just to correct 1 thing as a fellow Canadian..

It is not a $4,000 purchase... it is a $2,600 purchase.

That is all.

Maple Syrup*

Purchased my LR RWD back in Sept 2018. Did not opt for EAP or FSD.

Have the option to add AP for $2000 and FSD for $3000.

Just grabbed the AP for $2000. Still on the fence for whether or not to add FSD for another $3000.
For AP-only, is it true one cannot change lanes with the system engaged? Blinker will not steer the car into the next lane (like EAP trial?), have to totally disengage?

FSD on city roads -> onramp -> highway would be quite something, but I'm just not sure it's close to a reality. And even if it were, the legal fight has yet to begin, no? Will do some additional reading tonight. Would hate to have to pay ~$7000 1-2 years from now for something I could lock in for $3000 today.
Lane changing does not work for $2k.

From what I understand the new AP will automatically disengage Autosteer if you set the blinker. I'd actually like to have that option in EAP since the automatic lane change doesn't work well in dense traffic, so I often end up disabling it, then setting the blinker, then changing the lane (the automatic lane change works fine on open highways with little traffic though).

From what I understand the new AP will automatically disengage Autosteer if you set the blinker. I'd actually like to have that option in EAP since the automatic lane change doesn't work well in dense traffic, so I often end up disabling it, then setting the blinker, then changing the lane (the automatic lane change works fine on open highways with little traffic though).
No auto lane change. Turning on the blinker has mo effect.

• Informative
Reactions: Eno Deb
If you want it at the discounted price, yes.

And yes FSD includes HW3 upgrade once it's available.
How are you so absolutely sure that the HW3 is included? Even the Full Auto upgrade that I bought mentioned that it was a software upgrade when available when purchasing. It did not make any mention of the hardware upgrade. Since I upgraded from EAP to Full Auto on my Performance M3 for $2000 tonight. I hope you are right because that is what I am banking on but how come you are so sure where as I am not so sure looking at the past history of Tesla.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
How are you so absolutely sure that the HW3 is included?

Because the CEO of the company has explicitly, specifically, and definitively, stated that it's included.

Over and over again.

Both in written public statements and in the Q3 2018 investor call available at tesla.com. Going back to at least mid last year, and as recently as last week.

As already covered, exhaustively, in this very thread.

Not sure how you missed it.

No auto lane change. Turning on the blinker has mo effect.
Lane changing does not work for $2k.

Grrrr - looks like I will be buying FSD tonight then. $5000 for both really isn't horrible - and yes I realize this price is the cheapest anyone has been able to get them for.