Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seems to be rolling out traffic light detection in firmware 2019.8.3 (source: Reddit):

ACd17Wr.jpg
Holy crap balls! I am starting to think HW2.5 will power FSD for a while.

Yeah there is a chance that Tesla will provide minimum features with existing CPU to meet the current limited description of FSD then in 2020 come out with “a new $5k FSD II” with new expanded requirements that gets new CPU.
That would upset a lot of people. If the fsd test cars though are running 2.5 then an upgrade may not be necessary to reach the first level of fsd. Whether Tesla later upgrades everyone and doesn’t create a new package or cost is a risk all of us with fsd are taking.

That would upset a lot of people. If the fsd test cars though are running 2.5 then an upgrade may not be necessary to reach the first level of fsd. Whether Tesla later upgrades everyone and doesn’t create a new package or cost is a risk all of us with fsd are taking.

This is the version of FSD I bought.

upload_2019-3-24_10-10-34.jpeg

If they come out with a package above that (although not sure what that would be), I plan on using my income from the Tesla Network to pay for it. This description is from 2017, I can't wait until 2018 when they will give us details about the Tesla Network.

So Elon said (during Model Y event) that FSD will be feature complete by the end of this year via software only. Now they release an update that's starting to recognize stoplights. Makes one think they might just be able to deliver something they consider to be a "feature complete" version of FSD on HW 2.5. And therefore not necessarily need to provide free HW3 to people who have bought FSD.

@Knightshade can come shout me down. But I don't like these indicators. I still think it's less than 50% chance that FSD owners get free HW3. I bought it anyway during the sale, but knowing there's no guarantee of a free hardware upgrade.

Reactions: sbtz
Tesla seems to be rolling out traffic light detection in firmware 2019.8.3

Yes, though it's more like "traffic light guessing" since it intentionally doesn't stop or slow the car.

Which to me reads more like "fancier shadow mode"

Basically it's checking to see if its guesses that there's a red light up there are confirmed by a driver actually stopping the car or not.

So Elon said (during Model Y event) that FSD will be feature complete by the end of this year via software only. Now they release an update that's starting to recognize stoplights. Makes one think they might just be able to deliver something they consider to be a "feature complete" version of FSD on HW 2.5. And therefore not necessarily need to provide free HW3 to people who have bought FSD.

It really doesn't.

Musk has confirmed repeatedly, consistently, in both writing and investor calls, as far back as Q3 last year, and as recently as 12 days ago- everyone who paid for FSD gets the HW3 upgrade for free.

If folks want to keep desperately grasping for read-between-the-lines straws to find SOME excuse to "not be sure" they're welcome to waste their time I guess...everyone needs a hobby.

I’m happy about the addition of the street light warning, seems easy enough. I think people are taking some huge leaps that this means HW3 isn’t coming.

I don't think anyone's saying "HW3 isn't coming" - I think some people are saying that a retrofit isn't coming. And I'm firmly in that camp. If Tesla can give HW 2.0 and 2.5 owners "FSD" without a retrofit, even if it means all that is, is shitty and half-assed traffic light detection that works 8% of the time, that's what'll happen.

People seem to think that FSD is a contract for a replacement autopilot computer. It isn't.

Yeah, I know. "Elon tweeted it! Elon said it on a sales call!" - and that doesn't bind Tesla to *anything*. This is what people don't get. Yes "Elon said it". And contract wise, between you and Tesla, that means NOTHING. This is true even if it's not something you want to hear. Even if you REALLY REALLY like Elon and REALLY have your heart set on HW3.

Tesla redefined FSD recently as traffic lights and stop signs. If they can get that to happen, even hit-or-miss with cropped frames and low framerates on HW 2.0 and 2.5, that *is* what they will do.

I bought "FSD" when the price dropped. My only expectations are that they'll max out HW 2.5 in my situation. Stop signs and traffic lights; at least I'll get those capabilities. HW3 will do it better. Hell, HW3 will do EAP better. I do not expect to ever see HW3 retrofit into my HW2.5 car, even if I would like it to happen. (And I would.)

The "But Elon said..." may now follow.

If FSD means nothing more than half-assed traffic light/stop sign reading, I'll be livid, but I'm mentally trying to prepare myself. Verbal and written best intentions indeed mean nothing.

Prepare then. I’d love to get a refund on EAP and then just purchase normal AP. Frankly, none of the features of EAP have proved to have any value. Summon can’t exit out of my extremely normal and wide garage, the tiny seam between the foundation and my driveway confuses it, and I’m supposed to expect it’s going to drop me off at Costco, navigate a parking lot full of lunatics with shopping carts, park itself and then do the reverse to come get me when I’m done? You’ve gotta be kidding me. The car will get confused, get stuck and cause a clusterf*ck in the Costco parking lot resulting in serious Anti-Tesla rage by everyone including the owner who has to shamefully go address their stuck robo-car while being scolded by every person in the vicinity. Sign me up for that!!!

Furthermore, NoA, it barely works, it doesn’t slow down to appropriate speeds for overpasses, it can’t make up its mind when or how to change lanes (faster, slower, oh my), it poorly navigates construction areas. I’m supposed to believe it can navigate my local streets with kids playing, cyclists, delivery vehicles, people backing out of driveways.

I just don’t see any of this stuff actually working. It’s at best a gimmick and science fair exhibit to show off to interested passengers. My wife doesn’t even let me use NoA any more, and even when she hears the TACC chimes go on she’s frustrated and sighs, expecting a lot of jolting, unnecessary deactivation dings, sudden braking, etc.

I paid $5K for EAP, I don’t envision using its features in the time I own this car outside of farting around in empty parking lots. I now basically realize I donated to Tesla R&D and am a for-pay alpha tester.

Prepare then. I’d love to get a refund on EAP and then just purchase normal AP. Frankly, none of the features of EAP have proved to have any value. Summon can’t exit out of my extremely normal and wide garage, the tiny seam between the foundation and my driveway confuses it, and I’m supposed to expect it’s going to drop me off at Costco, navigate a parking lot full of lunatics with shopping carts, park itself and then do the reverse to come get me when I’m done? You’ve gotta be kidding me. The car will get confused, get stuck and cause a clusterf*ck in the Costco parking lot resulting in serious Anti-Tesla rage by everyone including the owner who has to shamefully go address their stuck robo-car while being scolded by every person in the vicinity. Sign me up for that!!!

Furthermore, NoA, it barely works, it doesn’t slow down to appropriate speeds for overpasses, it can’t make up its mind when or how to change lanes (faster, slower, oh my), it poorly navigates construction areas. I’m supposed to believe it can navigate my local streets with kids playing, cyclists, delivery vehicles, people backing out of driveways.

I just don’t see any of this stuff actually working. It’s at best a gimmick and science fair exhibit to show off to interested passengers. My wife doesn’t even let me use NoA any more, and even when she hears the TACC chimes go on she’s frustrated and sighs, expecting a lot of jolting, unnecessary deactivation dings, sudden braking, etc.

I paid $5K for EAP, I don’t envision using its features in the time I own this car outside of farting around in empty parking lots. I now basically realize I donated to Tesla R&D and am a for-pay alpha tester.
This post is informative and entertaining. Pretty much sums up my life experience, with this topic, almost exactly. I have slightly more fortunate experiences with NoA however.

This is the version of FSD I bought.

View attachment 389830

If they come out with a package above that (although not sure what that would be), I plan on using my income from the Tesla Network to pay for it. This description is from 2017, I can't wait until 2018 when they will give us details about the Tesla Network.
They leave a lot of caveats there about approval and regulations so they have years to make it happen. The version I paid for promises a lot less than that. You may end up getting more in the end. If they provide software and regulators never approve it, they get out of the deal with you, though. It never promises the Tesla network to you. It just gives a disclaimer about it.

I'm inclined to agree it's a pipe dream. I drove around a parking lot for 20 minutes trying to attempt the self-parking feature before giving up after realizing it was more of a hassle than it was worth.

Self parking requires two cars perfectly spaced apart with a spot in between as you slowly drive by. Works every once in a while. It also wants to park in between cars on major roadways in traffic for some reason. The features are gimmicks and party tricks right now. I do find autopilot and auto-steer to be useful and generally reliable. It does stop too hard, especially if someone turns in front of you.

They leave a lot of caveats there about approval and regulations so they have years to make it happen. The version I paid for promises a lot less than that. You may end up getting more in the end. If they provide software and regulators never approve it, they get out of the deal with you, though. It never promises the Tesla network to you. It just gives a disclaimer about it.

I don't have any delusion that Level 5 is anywhere around the corner, I was just making the case that I don't see Tesla creating a 2nd FSD package. While the new FSD description has a lot to be desired, I feel Tesla did that more to not overpromise than with the idea of having an second package in the future.

I am looking forward to when Teslas will be Level 4 with hands off/eyes off driving on limited access roads with the right weather. I always thought autonomous driving is easier on limited access roads then trying to perfect it in city streets or parking lots.

As far as the Tesla Network, I figure if it does happen that by that point I will be ready to buy my next car (or 3rd car) and would hold on to the 3 for purely ride sharing. (Is it still sharing if you are not in the car?)

Reactions: dnvr-ev