Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced regenerative braking at 70 degrees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find more specific information about when reduced regen is to be expected. I have seen a number of people indicate that when the temperature is low you will have reduced or not regen braking for a while. However, I am seeing that regularly now even when the temperature is high 60s to low 70s. Is that expected? I've only had the car for a couple months and its obviously been warmer, but I figured this would only kick in if it was in the 40s or maybe 50s.

Couldn't find more specific information about when reduced regen is to be expected. I have seen a number of people indicate that when the temperature is low you will have reduced or not regen braking for a while. However, I am seeing that regularly now even when the temperature is high 60s to low 70s. Is that expected? I've only had the car for a couple months and its obviously been warmer, but I figured this would only kick in if it was in the 40s or maybe 50s.
It depends on the battery temperature. So if you leave the car outside over night with a low of 50 degrees and then drive it in the daytime after the air has warmed up to 70, regen may be limited. I don't know the exact battery temperature where regen gets limited.

It depends on the battery temperature. So if you leave the car outside over night with a low of 50 degrees and then drive it in the daytime after the air has warmed up to 70, regen may be limited. I don't know the exact battery temperature where regen gets limited.
The actual code, showing the temperature, is on this forum under another heading (I can't find it). I recall that it's 8C (which is about 46F). At that temperature you will get some loss of regen - shown as a yellow dotted line on the energy App. At colder temperatures, especially if windy and left over night, you will see a total loss of regenerative braking. I saw this once last year (it was a relatively warm winter), at about -15C, which is about 0F.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
How recently did you start to notice this change? I've noticed the same since my 2013 P85 was in for service service 2 weeks ago (which included a drive unit swap). Previously, only very occasionally would I see regen limited first thing in the morning and even then it would last briefly (maybe 5 minutes or so). Now, I see regen limited to a lower power (15-30kW) pretty much every day and it seems to last my entire commute (15+ minutes). Most of the days, the temp is in the upper 50s / lower 60s. This morning, it was 58F and the car had been in the sun for 2-3 hours.

At the same time my car was in for service, the latest FW update was released. I wonder if there were changes in that release that affected the regen limits. Temperatures have been slowly dropping, but the changes in regen limits seem to be more than I would expect. It now regularly affects how I drive the car. The car doesn't slow as expected when letting off of the accelerator pedal.

In the Model X manual it states this:

The amount of energy fed back to the Battery using regenerative braking can depend on the current state of the Battery and the charge level setting that you are using.

So if you have your max charge set to 80% and you get anywhere near that number, the regen will start to lessen. I always thought max charge was 100%, and prior to V8.0, I think it was.

I suspect the Model S is the same.

The actual code, showing the temperature, is on this forum under another heading (I can't find it). I recall that it's 8C (which is about 46F). At that temperature you will get some loss of regen - shown as a yellow dotted line on the energy App. At colder temperatures, especially if windy and left over night, you will see a total loss of regenerative braking. I saw this once last year (it was a relatively warm winter), at about -15C, which is about 0F.

8 C is the active heating target in pre 8.0 firmware. Regen will continue to be limited at higher temps, however.

In the Model X manual it states this:

So if you have your max charge set to 80% and you get anywhere near that number, the regen will start to lessen. I always thought max charge was 100%, and prior to V8.0, I think it was.

I suspect the Model S is the same.

I don't think that's true, even in v8. My regen will go above my max charge level and it is not limited when I just unplug from charging if I'm not charged to ~98% or more.

Temperature definitely affects it much more than in v7 for me, though.