Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

referral code success?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone buying a Model Y have success using a referral code? A friend of mine is getting a Y and was notified by Tesla sales rep that the referral codes don't apply when purchasing a Model Y.

Seemed like an odd restriction.
You don't need referrals if you have a reservation backlog of orders that didn't need any incentive. They will probably start it up at some point once they have cleared through some of their reservation que with this initial launch.

Anyone buying a Model Y have success using a referral code? A friend of mine is getting a Y and was notified by Tesla sales rep that the referral codes don't apply when purchasing a Model Y.

Seemed like an odd restriction.

I also asked, was told Model Y purchases are not included in the referral program at this time....

Referral Program

Screenshot_20200313-034538_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
You don't need referrals if you have a reservation backlog of orders that didn't need any incentive. They will probably start it up at some point once they have cleared through some of their reservation que with this initial launch.

I think this is very short sided of Tesla. They have created an incredible Owner Community. Getting Owners to do their selling. People want to thank others that help them learn and want to buy a Tesla. The amount of the referral can be changed as the Company evaluates the demand, but they should allow buyers to thank owners. You can come up with relatively cost effective Thank You's Doesn't have to be unlimited supercharging for life or $1000 or a free Roadster if you get a bunch of people.

You should always be able to enter a referral code and even give an owner a credit.

I think this is very short sided of Tesla. They have created an incredible Owner Community. Getting Owners to do their selling. People want to thank others that help them learn and want to buy a Tesla. The amount of the referral can be changed as the Company evaluates the demand, but they should allow buyers to thank owners. You can come up with relatively cost effective Thank You's Doesn't have to be unlimited supercharging for life or $1000 or a free Roadster if you get a bunch of people.

You should always be able to enter a referral code and even give an owner a credit.
Why would you put an item with a backlog of orders that you can't yet fill on sale?

Why would you put an item with a backlog of orders that you can't yet fill on sale?
@FredMertz; I didn't say anything about sale. Right now; you can not enter a referral code. So buyers can not give their referral a shout out. The referral does not get credit for a sale in the Tesla referral system.

Tesla has built up much good will with using their owners as their sales/marketing force. In good times, you don't want to alienate your owners. Especially when you have a direct sales model.

Right now, I would allow buyers to enter a referral code. I would give the referral person credit in the Tesla system. Right now I would do a small gift to the referrer. I would have a referral shopping site or a coupon to go to Tesla Shop and get a discount on merchandise. Probably in the $50 to $100 level. Just a minimal Thank You for helping the buyer.

I would also stop the Internet Blog and Youtube hipe of given those social influences free Roadsters. Everyone knows about Tesla now. You don't need to get influences and create buzz.