Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral codes scheme - will it end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, pressed SAVE accidentally ...

Get employer to install a charging point? Revenues says that "Electricity is not a fuel" (as I understand it) so no monitoring or benefit-in-kind tax to worry about, so Employer ought to see it as a) add to their ECO credentials and b) easy Perk for employees. YMMV (literally!)

But, yeah, you could "work" whilst at Supercharger. I think this is a key benefit of Supercharging - driver needs a break every couple of hours, you don't have to stand-and-pump or queue-to-pay for Supercharger, unlike Petrol-Diesel, so time can be used productively. However, that does not apply to Passenger(s), their journey just gets longer when Charging as they were already at rest!

Not sure about "free", you need a lot of powerwall, and roof-PV, to store enough energy to recharge the car ... and in Winter the sun (in UK) has only 10% of the Power compared to mid-Summer :(

Unless T&C's have changed (i.e. re warranty) you may decide you don't need 12,500 mile service. Mine is about to have its first service, I did intend to do it at 12 months, but it slipped to about 14 months, and 27,000 miles. Nothing on dashboard telling me to service yet, and nothing really for service to do other than check everything ...

Yup. It was only £1K when I ordered mine AFAICR - maybe £2K, either way its gone up a lot, sorry about that.

Thanks for the reply, my employer has installed about 6 charging points but with 8000 people at HO you have to take a slot and come and move your car when it's your turn. Hoping more will come but I only go down if I can fill my day so messing about with my car mid day at any point is just a pain.

Do most of my work miles if not all without passenger so hopefully that's not to bad. I guess I'm the grand scheme of things it's not a huge saving to Super Charge but I'm convincing myself
I won't be paying any more a month than I am now lol

If I am honest I haven't do too much researching into solar yet but did look at the power wall site it recommended 2 power walls for run the house and charge car, probably didn't account for UK weather

I might be wrong but the small print when I read up on the guaranteed future value of the car was dependant on following the servicing plan. It didn't affect the warranty.

If you are going to charge from home I think it worth looking into getting E7. You have to pay a bit more for daytime, but nighttime is about 50% discount. Hopefully you have PV that takes care of much of daytime use, and using Dishwasher etc. overnight helps to shift some cost to nighttime. Hot Water Immersion too maybe ... even PowerWall charged at Night and discharged during Day, although I'm not convinced by the economics of that, apart from some software features "coming soon" that I'm waiting for, just having power during not infrequent power cuts here would make it worthwhile (I work from home)

I'll have a look at E7, the vast magority of our electricity must be consumed after 7 anyway as work away from home all day.

Hi!

For advance orders you can push it out 3 months beyond current delivery slots, not six months from order. It works out to about the same but worth bearing in mind... for example, today you can push an order back to Feb 18.

Your £4000 deposit is lost (if you cancel) once the 7 day period from your order expires, or if you confirm your order sooner.

It looks like you’re sorted for a code but if not feel free to send me a message and you can use mine. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Appreciate your help, will have a look and get myself into the Milton Keynes store asap

Reactions: CotswoldS3X
@RWB82
I'll have a look at E7, the vast magority of our electricity must be consumed after 7 anyway as work away from home all day.
Check in to E7 first - it doesn't mean that power after 7pm is cheaper (in fact that's considered peak time). It means you get 7 hours of cheap power during the night i.e. off-peak. Great for EV owners as you can set your car to start charging after this period starts - cheap for you and good for the grid as it evens out the "bathtub effect" that the National Grid struggle to manage.

Appreciate your help,
You're welcome. If you have any more questions or need a referral code just drop me a message!

The only way to know is to lock in your purchase before it referral discount officially expires 31 October 2017.

If you need my referral code, it's Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

First person to use it is welcome to have my Gigafactory Tour for Two People referral prize from several months ago. We aren't able to go happy to PM me your info so I know how to be in touch with you!

I might be wrong but the small print when I read up on the guaranteed future value of the car was dependant on following the servicing plan. It didn't affect the warranty.

Correct. On the PCP you need to maintain the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations, and that means the servicing schedule.

my employer has installed about 6 charging points but with 8000 people

Blimey! I see what you mean ...

... we have one charging point at work ... and one EV :)

guaranteed future value of the car was dependant on following the servicing plan

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as its not something that concerns me

As has been said E7 is 7-hours from midnight until 7AM (and 1AM until 8AM in Summer, if I've got the clock change the right way round!). You probably need to consider some timers for devices that can run overnight, or getting into the habit of using delay-start on Dishwasher etc. (because daytime electricity is a bit more expensive under E7)

If you aren't currently a frugal electricity user it might be worth having a go at that? We cut our electricity usage by half when we started to Go Green (many years ago now ...) I read the electricity meter each week (and heating fuel and water meter) and put the numbers in a spreadsheet, so we could see how we were doing, and we found that graph-on-the-wall became competitive!

We installed some timers, found some devices that were incredibly inefficient (big, old, fridge freezer that had years of accumulation of dust around the compressor air inlet, hoovered that and saved a fortune!, and an old transformer on the door bell was eating electricity too!) plus put some more efficient light bulbs in (CFL back then ...) and got the kids to turn the lights off ... still amazes me when we have youngsters to stay that they never turn anything off. We have fancy lighting system in the house now, so all upstairs lights go off at 10AM if they have been left on accidentally.

Blimey! I see what you mean ...

... we have one charging point at work ... and one EV :)

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as its not something that concerns me

As has been said E7 is 7-hours from midnight until 7AM (and 1AM until 8AM in Summer, if I've got the clock change the right way round!). You probably need to consider some timers for devices that can run overnight, or getting into the habit of using delay-start on Dishwasher etc. (because daytime electricity is a bit more expensive under E7)

If you aren't currently a frugal electricity user it might be worth having a go at that? We cut our electricity usage by half when we started to Go Green (many years ago now ...) I read the electricity meter each week (and heating fuel and water meter) and put the numbers in a spreadsheet, so we could see how we were doing, and we found that graph-on-the-wall became competitive!

We installed some timers, found some devices that were incredibly inefficient (big, old, fridge freezer that had years of accumulation of dust around the compressor air inlet, hoovered that and saved a fortune!, and an old transformer on the door bell was eating electricity too!) plus put some more efficient light bulbs in (CFL back then ...) and got the kids to turn the lights off ... still amazes me when we have youngsters to stay that they never turn anything off. We have fancy lighting system in the house now, so all upstairs lights go off at 10AM if they have been left on accidentally.

The E7 timing varies between regions. We have off peak timings of 0030 to 0730 GMT in Yorkshire which translates into a good deal in summer using electric water heating rather than gas. By 0830 BST most of the morning power demand is over including reheating the hot water cylinder back up to maximum.

In installing solar panels with E7 we found that our peak to offpeak ratio completely reversed in summer with over 60% off peak as opposed to 40 in mid winter.

Can see something like a Powerwall being of real use in storing off peak power in winter and solar power in summer!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
By 0830 BST most of the morning

Hadn't thought about Immersion Recovery Time in the morning, partly because we have Solar Thermal for Hot Water (which does best part of sweet-nothing in Winter of course). Central Heating boiler is Biomass, and takes care of it in Winter, but not until that is run in the Afternoon to warm the house for the evening ... it might well be worth me having the Immersion on a timer for 30 - 60 minutes before E7 finishes in Winter, thanks :)

My car leaves for work at 05:30, so on occasions that can be a challenge to get it fully charged (at E7 price), plus the added "effort" to remember to override the Scheduled Start Time - the technology needs to mature a bit to be able to say "Charge to 90% by 05:30" rather than "When I park HERE schedule a charge at midnight" ... but that's a very First World Problem of course! Charging an extra hour, before E7 starts, is an extra 50p and I do that maybe half a dozen times a year ...

Last edited:
Appreciate your help, will have a look and get myself into the Milton Keynes store asap

I just ordered my X75D from Milton Keynes last week, so let me know if you need any help and of course a local referral code (I still have all 5 uses remaining and our 5 year old is pretty keen on the toy Tesla!). The guys at MK are friendly and easy to deal with too. It's not your typical hard-sell car dealership experience!

Like yourself I don't actually need the car until next year, but wanted to secure the 1.5% APR finance before it inevitably goes up and of course the £750 discount and free Supercharging. So I deferred delivery until Feb 2018 (the furthest I could), but they said it was no problem to store the car a few weeks (indoors) for a March delivery.

I can also confirm the £4K deposit and you get 7 days to change your mind before losing it. But you also have to fix the car spec within the 7 days and not when production actually starts. If you do decide to change the spec after 7 days, they charge £500 per spec change! So make sure you know exactly what spec you want before ordering.

Like yourself I don't actually need the car until next year, but wanted to secure the 1.5% APR finance before it inevitably goes up and of course the £750 discount and free Supercharging. So I deferred delivery until Feb 2018 (the furthest I could), but they said it was no problem to store the car a few weeks (indoors) for a March delivery.

I can also confirm the £4K deposit and you get 7 days to change your mind before losing it. But you also have to fix the car spec within the 7 days and not when production actually starts. If you do decide to change the spec after 7 days, they charge £500 per spec change! So make sure you know exactly what spec you want before ordering.

Very similar situation to myself as well. I was meaning to confirm with Tesla that deferred delivery still qualified for the current 1.5% APR.

The other thing I was wondering about was what happens if they change the spec of the car in between you ordering it and it being delivered, again, specifically for deferred deliveries...

My experience at the Birmingham, UK store hasn't been overwhelming. I'm not sure whether they're just ridiculously busy or just don't regard me as a serious buyer, but in either case, I've been looking at other EV's, even if they aren't quite at the same level as the Tesla, just to keep my options open.

what happens if they change the spec of the car in between you ordering it and it being delivered, again, specifically for deferred deliveries...

I placed an order for the maximum lead time (I think it was 6 months at that time) because there was an imminent price rise, During my wait several improvements were made which were included, and the price went up twice, but there was no change to my order / purchase price.

However, the battery size I ordered was discontinued and I was offered to take delivery "immediately", or change to bigger or smaller battery pro rata using the original price list when I ordered. I persuaded myself to upgrade to the larger battery, reluctantly because I had talked myself out of the larger battery originally on the basis of "ridiculous price per mile of additional range", and indeed in 27,000 miles of motoring it has only mattered on one journey where I limped home with 2 miles range to spare! ...

... but: the elbow-room of a bigger battery has helped on several occasions - ability to decide to Detour to do a pick-up / drop-off - and also the "convenient daily range" - i.e. charge to 90% and have, say, 20 miles spare - quite a lot of my journeys would have been "tight" with the smaller battery. But much more importantly, the faster Supercharge rate of the bigger battery. I originally thought I would use ICE vehicle on longer journeys to avoid charging-wait but in practice have supercharged far more often than I originally thought I would ... key thing about Supercharging is that pretty much all of my journeys are out-and-back - not a road trip to South of France or John O'Groats to Lands End! - and I only need to Supercharge just enough to get to destination. Chucking in 50 miles, say, takes 10 minutes - that's less time than it takes me to have a Pee and get a coffee. Its another couple of minutes for a 75 which doesn't seem that significant, but I did some sums, scaled up for the year, and collectively it came to "quite a lot" (There's a comparison thread somewhere, I can find it if anyone is interested)

But I do 25,000 miles a year, so YMMV for the Supercharger-benefit :)

Very similar situation to myself as well. I was meaning to confirm with Tesla that deferred delivery still qualified for the current 1.5% APR.

The other thing I was wondering about was what happens if they change the spec of the car in between you ordering it and it being delivered, again, specifically for deferred deliveries...

My experience at the Birmingham, UK store hasn't been overwhelming. I'm not sure whether they're just ridiculously busy or just don't regard me as a serious buyer, but in either case, I've been looking at other EV's, even if they aren't quite at the same level as the Tesla, just to keep my options open.

Yes, deferred delivery does qualify for 1.5% APR (although you may have missed the boat now, as the 1.5% rate was only guaranteed up until 30th Sept)

If the spec changes I believe they will offer either immediate delivery of the spec you ordered (if still possible) or the option to choose the nearest updated spec. with an appropriate price adjustment if necessary (e.g. for a larger battery). If the spec stays the same, but the price increases then they will still honour the price when you ordered. If the price goes down, they will apply the lower discount price. Pretty fair I think.

What other EV's are you considering? I'm curious!

I placed my order on 1.10.2017 for an MX100D when the online order page (that I had been monitoring daily!) changed that day to allow me to defer until March 2018 which is when I want delivery.
I filled in the finance application on line for 1.5% PCP although for some reason Black Horse then totally messed it up and confirmed finance accepted at 5% on an MS for October delivery! My DS in Leeds is sorting that out today.
The from 1.5% finance remains advertised on the website.
My referral code says whilst supercharging is maintained from 31.10.2017 the £750 off list price aspect ends.

I'll just have to hope they don't change too much between the end of the month and next March (it's Tesla, of course they will)!

What other EV's are you considering? I'm curious!

There aren't exactly abundance of options: so far I've only test driven one, the BMW i3, and it was too weird looking, small and the driving position felt too high up.

I'm going to try to organise test drives for a VW e-Golf and Hyundai IONIQ. Again, none of these stack up as equals to a Model S, but as long as they can get me to work and back and transport my family without being crammed like sardines, I'm willing to entertain them... must have EV!

There aren't exactly abundance of options: so far I've only test driven one, the BMW i3, and it was too weird looking, small and the driving position felt too high up.

I'm going to try to organise test drives for a VW e-Golf and Hyundai IONIQ. Again, none of these stack up as equals to a Model S, but as long as they can get me to work and back and transport my family without being crammed like sardines, I'm willing to entertain them... must have EV!

We need a big family car, hence the Tesla X being the only realistic EV option for our needs. I can't see a family travelling very far in an i3! Nice little commuter though. e-Golf is probably the next most practical option outside of a Tesla, but the i3 is a far more interesting vehicle. My wife hates how it looks though! It is quirky, but I quite like it myself. I wonder how it rides on those big skinny wheels?

I placed my order on 1.10.2017 for an MX100D when the online order page (that I had been monitoring daily!) changed that day to allow me to defer until March 2018 which is when I want delivery.
I filled in the finance application on line for 1.5% PCP although for some reason Black Horse then totally messed it up and confirmed finance accepted at 5% on an MS for October delivery! My DS in Leeds is sorting that out today.
The from 1.5% finance remains advertised on the website.
My referral code says whilst supercharging is maintained from 31.10.2017 the £750 off list price aspect ends.

Be interesting to see if you still get the 1.5%. My DS clearly stated that the finance had to be approved before the 30th Sept, although he didn't know what would actually happen to rates beyond that date. But I didn't want to find out! It's still showing 1.5% on the website, if that's correct. Hopefully you will be okay and they will honour it.

My Black Horse agreement doesn't show a delivery date, but I deferred it until Feb and Tesla Milton Keynes have agreed to store the car for an actual March delivery (to get the new reg). I don't know how deferred deliveries actually work and if they can slip back just like a standard min delivery i.e. do they build the car in line with the deferred delivery date based on their actual production lead times or do they simply start building it X number of weeks after the order, regardless of any known production delays? It's something I meant to ask.

We need a big family car, hence the Tesla X being the only realistic EV option for our needs. I can't see a family travelling very far in an i3! Nice little commuter though. e-Golf is probably the next most practical option outside of a Tesla, but the i3 is a far more interesting vehicle. My wife hates how it looks though! It is quirky, but I quite like it myself. I wonder how it rides on those big skinny wheels?

The i3 is definitely smaller than my current car (Seat Leon), and that was my main problem with it. We have a five month old and found out recently what that means when going anywhere for more than a few days. The ride wasn't too bad, though not a patch on what you get with air suspension. I didn't push the car much in the bends, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't fare well.

In think you're right about the e-Golf, though the IONIQ isn't far off either. Charge speed and range becomes the main problem with these, not for everyday journeys but the occasional long range ones, splitting them in to 80-90 mile segments with 35-45 minute stops in-between would get old very quickly.

Hence the Model S is the first choice as it will give us plenty of room, good enough range, decent charging speed, plus it should be considerably higher quality than the others, given its price!

My Black Horse agreement doesn't show a delivery date, but I deferred it until Feb and Tesla Milton Keynes have agreed to store the car for an actual March delivery (to get the new reg). I don't know how deferred deliveries actually work and if they can slip back just like a standard min delivery i.e. do they build the car in line with the deferred delivery date based on their actual production lead times or do they simply start building it X number of weeks after the order, regardless of any known production delays? It's something I meant to ask.

There were quite a few people that ordered in the summer of 16 for a delivery before the change in vehicle excise duty on 1st April 2017. It was chaos! In particular the delays in X deliveries was a nightmare. Tesla were registering cars that were half way across the ocean just to beat the luxury car tax date. It made no difference when the order was placed, production started when Tesla were ready - I received my S on the 1st March having ordered end Oct 16, there were others who had ordered weeks before me but received much later.

Technically you are required to collect the car with 7 days of being advised it’s ready, but in practise so long as they get it delivered for the Q end and they have the space to keep it I’m sure it’ll be fine.