Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Program Madness

How do you feel about people on forums and online asking you to use their referral code?

• Righteous: How dare you! It's only be given in a committed monogomous relationship.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Ashamed: I feel dirty and used when I offer my code, and often Elon never calls the next day.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Competitive: I'll get to the next secret level! and I'll cut you with my tesla prison shiv!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Paranoid: Shhhh! I'm being watched by the CIA to see if my referrals codes legitimate.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entitled: I, alone, deserve a free roadster...

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Elitist: I won't stoop to the that level... that is sooooo like a non-founder edition owner.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other: Write in your reply

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster (duh). I've been following Tesla and dreaming of getting one for years. Long story short, I think I'm finally in a financial position to get one and put an order in this September for a Model S. I'm on the reservation list for the 3 but I figured go big or go home so... To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement.

With that said, I came across the referral program and obviously I would be crazy not to get in on it. I see both sides of the argument; whoring out the referral codes looks stupid in many ways and people should build relationships to give them out, but at the same time you have people like me who feel as if they're as up-to-date as one can be without actually owning a Tesla and so those relationships aren't necessary. That is, until I become an actual owner. I don't doubt that there will be questions that only a new owner can have, kind of like the saying "you don't know what you don't know".

Anyways, at the end of the day I know what a great community this is and I'm all for having someone to go to with questions. So.... not sure where to go from here, but I guess what I'm saying is is someone willing to be my go-to for questions and in good nature share their code (won't be redeemed until September like I said)?

Feels so weird asking.... Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster (duh). I've been following Tesla and dreaming of getting one for years. Long story short, I think I'm finally in a financial position to get one and put an order in this September for a Model S. I'm on the reservation list for the 3 but I figured go big or go home so... To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement.

With that said, I came across the referral program and obviously I would be crazy not to get in on it. I see both sides of the argument; whoring out the referral codes looks stupid in many ways and people should build relationships to give them out, but at the same time you have people like me who feel as if they're as up-to-date as one can be without actually owning a Tesla and so those relationships aren't necessary. That is, until I become an actual owner. I don't doubt that there will be questions that only a new owner can have, kind of like the saying "you don't know what you don't know".

Anyways, at the end of the day I know what a great community this is and I'm all for having someone to go to with questions. So.... not sure where to go from here, but I guess what I'm saying is is someone willing to be my go-to for questions and in good nature share their code (won't be redeemed until September like I said)?

Feels so weird asking.... Thanks for reading!
I'll send you the contact info for a great person to know, in your area. Via private message.

Update: Check your messages. A recommendation & code for someone in your neighborhood is in your inbox. :)

Reactions: ChadS
I've made this comment directly to Tesla already but, for me, the referral program is about having something fun to offer YouTube/Social Media followers and, as a result, gaining access to Tesla events/experiences which can then be shared with the people who made access possible. I don't need or want more stuff and think that Tesla should just pull all material/merch prizes from the program entirely. Heck, at present, I'm going to end up with two of those Model S for kids things... current plan is to donate them both to charity.

I don't have some huge wealthy social group or whatever to pitch Tesla to--just the people I interact with online, the people I spend hours with each week answering questions via Twitter DMs, FB Messenger requests, and other venues. Regardless, I pulled my code down from my YouTube videos and social media stuff because that's what was asked of us. Doesn't change anything about what I'm doing, it just limits my access to special tours/events.

I don't mind people providing content that people like and therefore use their code. Tesla should be rewarding people who contribute to their growth but I don't think some of the referrals actually do that. I'm talking about some people that put codes on Google Adwords or just plaster it all over various fora including here and provide no value at all.

2 of those Model S for Kids is amazing. You'll definitely make a couple kids very happy while promoting Tesla's brand even further. I'm trying to get 1 referral to get one of them for my daughter but I also don't know too many people who have enough money or are inclined to get an S or X personally. My earlier referrals didn't amount to actual prizes.

I'm also one away from the wheels and two from the powerwall.

I've spent more time and effort growing relationships and helping tesla sell the two cars that I have referral credit for and enjoyed doing so.

If anyone in the CT area is seriously in the market and wants to talk tesla or take a test drive please pm me. If you use my code even better but I truly do enjoy helping especially with CT not allowing sales or test drives.