Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Midnight Silver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charlotte Tesla had this and the Red MC in the showroom
They removed the front plate holder......SMART!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 649
Charlotte Tesla had this and the Red MC in the showroom
They removed the front plate holder......SMART!!

My DS in Raleigh told me that Tesla prohibits them from removing the front plate holder. Here is the quote from his email.

"1. At this time, the Model S does come standard with the front plate installed. The Model S was crash tested with this front plate installed, and therefore it is against federal regulation for us to remove, encourage, or advise you to remove this front plate bracket. I can tell you that the plate bracket is painted body color and blends well with the front of Model S. We chose to install the plate mount because it sticks out a little from the front of the hood line. In the event of a low speed accident, this extra clearance reduces the likelihood of damage to the front hood, a large sheet of aluminum and a costly repair."

Maybe I ought to have it delivered in Charlotte.

Reactions: bobjustbob
My DS in Raleigh told me that Tesla prohibits them from removing the front plate holder. Here is the quote from his email.

"1. At this time, the Model S does come standard with the front plate installed. The Model S was crash tested with this front plate installed, and therefore it is against federal regulation for us to remove, encourage, or advise you to remove this front plate bracket. I can tell you that the plate bracket is painted body color and blends well with the front of Model S. We chose to install the plate mount because it sticks out a little from the front of the hood line. In the event of a low speed accident, this extra clearance reduces the likelihood of damage to the front hood, a large sheet of aluminum and a costly repair."

Maybe I ought to have it delivered in Charlotte.

My DS told me the something Monday.

I was just thinking, would this be an insurance issue? If you remove the front plate and you have a low speed frontal collision that damages the hood, would your insurance technically have grounds not to pay since it was removed by the owner?

I was just thinking, would this be an insurance issue? If you remove the front plate and you have a low speed frontal collision that damages the hood, would your insurance technically have grounds not to pay since it was removed by the owner?
I think I'd be inclined to keep it in the trunk and, in the event of an accident, scuff it up some and then re-attach it before anyone inspects the front end ;) [and, no, I'm not doing 5-10 in Sing-Sing for insurance fraud!]

• Funny
Reactions: MassModel3
It's two bolts and some automotive double sided tape. I saw a youtube video showing the removal process. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to remove.

It appears to be more complicated than that. It is held on by two security screws. In the video, he uses a grinding tool to cut a slot in the screws and use s a blade screw driver to remove. I am not that adventurous. I read on another thread that a Gator Grip socket might work.

It appears to be more complicated than that. It is held on by two security screws. In the video, he uses a grinding tool to cut a slot in the screws and use s a blade screw driver to remove. I am not that adventurous. I read on another thread that a Gator Grip socket might work.

I beginning to think that removing it might be too much of a pain-in-the-ass.