Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove an MS LRP for three years, loved the car. When the lease ended I needed to replace it and looked to acquire another S. I drove both a new S and a Y. Both cars seemed to have the same comfort factor and the Y still drove like a bad out of hell. Still I preferred the exterior lines of the S and also preferred having a display in front of the driver. But I went with the Y owing to a lower price point, ability to tow, and the $7,500 tax credit. I did add a 3rd party HUD to get over the missing driver’s display.

My suggestion is to drive both and then pick the one that best meets your needs. As noted about, just carefully inspect at delivery.
Could not agree more. I have both the S and Y. No doubt the Y is the best value and overall best Tesla dollar for dollar. I primarily drive the S so for me moving to a non heads up display is jarring. I also enjoy the air suspension. But the visibility with the Y and overall performance is just about as good as it gets for a Tesla.

One pedal driving has been with Tesla since the Roadster so not sure what you mean about that Model 3. They might have made regen stronger with a software update on the Model 3 but it was still there.
True, but at some point between buying my 2015 85D and my wife's 2019 Model 3, the car became capable of "true" one pedal driving. My 85D has regen down to approximately 5 or so mph, then it just rolls and you have to push the brake pedal. The newer cars come to a full stop and engage brake hold without ever touching the brake pedal.

When I bought my Model 3, one pedal driving wasn’t a thing.
Then, a software update, and it was.

Numerous items - many I take for granted now - have come in the form of software updates.

It’s easy to forget what a Big Deal that is by harping on one thing they (deliberately) haven’t perfected. The majority of the code running on the AP computer is years old and about to be replaced. The full neural-net code is in employee beta now. Zero point in trying to fix the auto wipers when the new code is weeks away.
The most impressive OTA update I know of is when 85D owners in 2015 bought a car with specs of 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and had that change to 4.2 seconds with a free update.

Last edited:
True, but at some point between buying my 2015 85D and my wife's 2019 Model 3, the car became capable of "true" one pedal driving. My 85D has regen down to approximately 5 or so mph, then it just rolls and you have to push the brake pedal. The newer cars come to a full stop and engage brake hold without ever touching the brake pedal.
That’s correct. Model 3 didn’t have full one-pedal till late 2019 as I recall. It wouldn’t fully stop before then.

One pedal driving has been with Tesla since the Roadster so not sure what you mean about that Model 3. They might have made regen stronger with a software update on the Model 3 but it was still there.

Not really, no. Earlier vehicles (including pre-Raven S/X) can’t fully stop & hold without the hydraulic brake being applied.

Model 3 was the first Tesla to do so, and even then, it was a software update to do so.

My point being … software updates enabled features never thought possible at shipment, or possibly still in early development.

Things like Teslacam. Light shows. Farts. One pedal driving. Heck, AP2 and FSD. All software options added post-shipment.

Reactions: dsm363
Not really, no. Earlier vehicles (including pre-Raven S/X) can’t fully stop & hold without the hydraulic brake being applied.

Model 3 was the first Tesla to do so, and even then, it was a software update to do so.

My point being … software updates enabled features never thought possible at shipment, or possibly still in early development.

Things like Teslacam. Light shows. Farts. One pedal driving. Heck, AP2 and FSD. All software options added post-shipment.
I get it now. One pedal driving to me means using one pedal for almost everything but yes, sometimes brakes are needed.

The software updates over the last 11 years have been great. Car does so many things it couldn't do when it first came out.

Reactions: dmurphy
I get it now. One pedal driving to me means using one pedal for almost everything but yes, sometimes brakes are needed.

The software updates over the last 11 years have been great. Car does so many things it couldn't do when it first came out.

Sorry I wasn’t clearer but I meant the ability to truly drive the vehicle without ever touching the brake pedal. My mind was absolutely blown when that software push came down and that was my “aha!” moment on the true power of a software-defined car. Even 20 years ago, nobody would’ve imagined such a thing.

Still have a hard time explaining how powerful it is to people who haven’t experienced it. For them, the day a car ships is the most capable it’ll ever be. For us, it’s the least. That’s some wild stuff!

Pairing well with the hold function is the stop light chime. Perfectly timed to go off faster than DW can say GO!

FSD is still beta of course, but a greater than zero chance V12 will improve it enough I might try it again. The older I get, the less I worry getting killed by my car.

Sorry I wasn’t clearer but I meant the ability to truly drive the vehicle without ever touching the brake pedal. My mind was absolutely blown when that software push came down and that was my “aha!” moment on the true power of a software-defined car. Even 20 years ago, nobody would’ve imagined such a thing.

Still have a hard time explaining how powerful it is to people who haven’t experienced it. For them, the day a car ships is the most capable it’ll ever be. For us, it’s the least. That’s some wild stuff!
No problem. I get what you're saying now. Both the Roadster and Model S (2012) basically come to a complete stop and you just tap on the brakes. So also one pedal driving (basically). But no hill hold or anything like that in the newer cars.

The software updates have kept this 11 year old Model S seeming like a newer car longer.

Reactions: pilotSteve
No problem. I get what you're saying now. Both the Roadster and Model S (2012) basically come to a complete stop and you just tap on the brakes. So also one pedal driving (basically). But no hill hold or anything like that in the newer cars.

The software updates have kept this 11 year old Model S seeming like a newer car longer.
The difference between the old Model S/Roadster and how current Teslas drive now (Raven and newer) is very different at low speeds. It feels like a very different car.

And the interior and comfort of the BMW will wipe the floor with any Tesla. Different strokes. Would I buy one? Not a chance. But I can certainly see why somebody else might.
That part I agree with you on, I haven't been in a BMW since the Tesla, so I have no idea how it compares.

It's embarrassing to say that I used to look up to the "ultimate driving machine", which now is just a driving machine, so sad to see this happen to a legacy brand... this is like listening to my parents/grandparents talk about Cadillac.

Last edited:
Pairing well with the hold function is the stop light chime. Perfectly timed to go off faster than DW can say GO!

… also another software-added feature!

Indeed. A good friend has a Roadster and to see what a completely new vehicle that was is tremendous. Unfortunately current prices are way out of my league but it’s a fascinating piece of machinery - one which will define an entire transportation revolution.

And yes - even the 2012 Model S is incredibly recent with all its software updates - another good friend has one as a daily driver and it’s good-as-new for the most part!

this is like listening to my parents/grandparents talk about Cadillac.

Caddys were my car of choice pre-Tesla. Just something about Cadillac that’s special …. Of course these days I won’t be going back. :)

It used to be that the one pedal wouldn’t bring the car to a complete stop. Now it can on any Tesla that has a permanent magnet motor (and I think on the S/X you can’t even set it to creep or roll anymore)

Some reasoning why somethings do not initially work as well on Tesla as other cars.

Items like HUD, Auto headlights, Auto windshield wipers, stalk turn signal/horn/light flashes, horn, sound systems etc all were being purchased from other companies. This made Tesla very supply chain limited if these suddenly became unavailable from their respective suppliers.

Tesla is wanting to distill their cars down to where autopilot FSD will be a chief differentialor of their brand.

They hate paying their competitors, like Mercedes, to provide turn signal stalks. They know the future is AI, and that will be the ultimate answer to all these buttons, switches, knobs, levers and controls. Better for them to be integrated into the brains of the car, so they can be accuated by voice, glances, hand waves or simply thought.

As time goes by, others will realize that Tesla is far ahead going down this path.

Their cars will ultimatesly be simpler, less complex, more automated, less restricted, more efficient, cost less and be far quicker to assembly.

They are simply the future

They hate paying their competitors, like Mercedes, to provide turn signal stalks. They know the future is AI, and that will be the ultimate answer to all these buttons, switches, knobs, levers and controls. Better for them to be integrated into the brains of the car, so they can be accuated by voice, glances, hand waves or simply thought.

They are simply the future
Agreed. Speaking of which, I can't seem to ask for "set charging level to 80%". It changes the temperature to 80 degrees. I'm surprised I can't ask to set the charging level. A future software opportunity. But I digress.

I am a long time owner of S, I had 2016 and then upgraded to 2021 refreshed S LR. Two months back, I placed an order for i5 M60, with options, it came to around $93.5k. I was just notified that the car has arrived at Baltimore port. I am still having second thoughts on going with i5. It looks great from front/rear but side looks pretty bad, way too plain, nothing special (in my opinion).

My main reason for i5 was all the bells and whistles, it's nice to have Tesla range but I mostly drive local, so range isn't a big deal for me. I am going to take a look at the car in person and decide whether I am going to accept the delivery or not. let's see!

While the Europeans are trying to make their cars ever more complicated and complex, Tesla is working hard to make them simpler to manufacture and maintain.
People still are attracted to the shiny stuff with lots of buttons to press.

While the Europeans are trying to make their cars ever more complicated and complex, Tesla is working hard to make them simpler to manufacture and maintain.
People still are attracted to the shiny stuff with lots of buttons to press.

No man, that is a Tesla marketing talking point. Thing should be made simple to use, but complex things are complex for a reason. Removing things like sensors, radars etc. is not making thing less complicated, its just making things cheaper and with less functionality. Cheap, not easier to use.