Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Europeans are trying to make their cars ever more complicated and complex, Tesla is working hard to make them simpler to manufacture and maintain.
People still are attracted to the shiny stuff with lots of buttons to press.

I think Tesla should be putting their efforts into improving autopilot, adding features like HUD, ambient lighting, 360/birds eye view, ability to customize front screen on S/X instead of wasting time on games, light shows, etc. I still like the way S looks, way better than i5 for sure :)

I originally had yoke, went to round steering wheel, but it blocked most of my front screen view, so I had to go back go yoke. I wish Tesla re-arranged some of the things on front screen, so I could see the speed I was driving at!

I think Tesla should be putting their efforts into improving autopilot, adding features like HUD, ambient lighting, 360/birds eye view, ability to customize front screen on S/X instead of wasting time on games, light shows, etc. I still like the way S looks, way better than i5 for sure :)

I originally had yoke, went to round steering wheel, but it blocked most of my front screen view, so I had to go back go yoke. I wish Tesla re-arranged some of the things on front screen, so I could see the speed I was driving at!
Yep agreed. The S was designed around the yoke (annoyingly).

I've been on this TMC now for about 3 months now and have read through literally hundreds of threads. I plan on placing an order for an MSP at the end of this month. It seems like the more I read and stay on this site the more I am questioning my order. I have already installed my wall charger, put 50% deposit on PPF and purchased many accessories.

I'm coming from a Panamera 4S and just placed an order for a 2024 Cayenne S E-hybrid for my wife. Obviously I love Porsche but only for ICE cars, so Taycan is out of the picture. Then I started looking at Rivian and Lucid but don't want to be an early adopter and get burned. I love Tesla software and technology but nervous about getting a lemon.

It seems like a low percentage of people get a quality build from Tesla and usually have issues. As of now I still will be placing my order within the next 2 weeks. The more I read on these forums the more nervous I get.

Reactions: teko
I've been on this TMC now for about 3 months now and have read through literally hundreds of threads. I plan on placing an order for an MSP at the end of this month. It seems like the more I read and stay on this site the more I am questioning my order. I have already installed my wall charger, put 50% deposit on PPF and purchased many accessories.

I'm coming from a Panamera 4S and just placed an order for a 2024 Cayenne S E-hybrid for my wife. Obviously I love Porsche but only for ICE cars, so Taycan is out of the picture. Then I started looking at Rivian and Lucid but don't want to be an early adopter and get burned. I love Tesla software and technology but nervous about getting a lemon.

It seems like a low percentage of people get a quality build from Tesla and usually have issues. As of now I still will be placing my order within the next 2 weeks. The more I read on these forums the more nervous I get.
Considering 2 million teslas are sold this year alone, I don’t think the percentage of poor quality builds can be deduced based on this site. You can also look it over before accepting it and if a problem is found, take it in for correction. And it seems people having issues are more likely to comment.

Do not be surprised if you have to send the car for service to fix defects upon delivery.

My opinion on the S has certainly changed over the course of ownership for the better. I just had the round wheel installed and it is a massive upgrade over the yoke which simply was not good for me. Even if the yoke was properly implemented with a steer by wire system I’d still prefer a traditional wheel. I believe a lot of Tesla’s progression is moving to a completely automated transportation with the computer driving the car. I like driving and that’s why FSd was never a consideration for me.

Driving around in MS I simply feel better than everyone else on the road, as if I’m 20 years in the future.

My gripes with the MS is the lack of customization and basic quality. I’m willing to pay for that but its not available with Tesla. That’s where the Porsche will be ahead.

Reactions: MyJoule

Well you’re certainly not going to get Porsche fit and finish or Porsche driving dynamics from a Tesla. If you buy one of these cars, you more or less have to be willing to accept that the car will not be perfect, regardless of how things ought to be for the price. If you cannot handle slightly misaligned panels etc, shop elsewhere - literally no Tesla is up to the quality of legacy manufacturers there.

Remember, places like this are echo chambers. They’re where people come to complain about anything and everything.

You can go to an online forum for any car and find people dissatisfied. It’s just kinda the nature of the beast.

You’ll love the car - driving it is unlike anything else. Just keep in mind, even the Plaid is a “commodity” car. It’s not some bespoke hand build super special rubbed with fairy dust Rolls Royce…. It comes off an assembly line just like a Camry. As long as you keep that in mind, you’ll be very happy.

You’ll be just fine and my guess very happy.
I had a Panny Turbo as a daily driver previously.

I’ve owned my plaid for a year.. I’ve also owned a Taycan and a Fisker/Karma EV’. Wife has had a Mx for the last 3 years. Loves it!
. Overall everything considering the Tesla is far above everything else on the market. In terms of reliability, safety technology/ ease of charging .
the chances of you getting a lemon are highly unlikely. In fact, I personally know 3 other plaid owners who have not had any issues 2021 and 2022 owners. 👍🤘

Last edited:
Reactions: Septocaine
No man, that is a Tesla marketing talking point. Thing should be made simple to use, but complex things are complex for a reason. Removing things like sensors, radars etc. is not making thing less complicated, its just making things cheaper and with less functionality. Cheap, not easier to use.

100%. Tesla Vision park assist is a disaster.

You’ll be just fine and my guess very happy.
I had a Panny Turbo as a daily driver previously.

I’ve owned my plaid for a year.. I’ve also owned a Taycan and a Fisker/Karma EV’. Wife has had a Mx for the last 3 years. Loves it!
. Overall everything considering the Tesla is far above everything else on the market. In terms of reliability, safety technology/ ease of charging .
the chances of you getting a lemon are highly unlikely. In fact, I personally know 3 other plaid owners who have not had any issues 2021 and 2022 owners. 👍🤘
Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective. I’m feeling much better after reading some encouraging posts. I need to remember that unhappy customers tells 100 people and happy customers tell very few people.

Reactions: Paxsal
Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective. I’m feeling much better after reading some encouraging posts. I need to remember that unhappy customers tells 100 people and happy customers tell very few people.
I’m 3 weeks into LR ownership and have been very happy. I was also extremely nervous having read this forum as this is the most expensive car by far I’ve ever purchased. I also took a plaid home to demo and the frunk wouldn’t open. I brought the checklist and went over the car and found the trunk slightly misaligned but took delivery anyways cuz I wouldn’t have really noticed it on my own. We also have 50k miles on our 2020 model 3 with no major issues.

While the Europeans are trying to make their cars ever more complicated and complex, Tesla is working hard to make them simpler to manufacture and maintain.
People still are attracted to the shiny stuff with lots of buttons to press.
But the shiny bits are very high quality, well aligned, and don't creak or rattle. At least for Mercedes. Got to give them that.

Think positive. Good chance the car will not have any major issues like shipping damage (Always look under the car!) or wrinkled seats or misaligned interior trim that you can't fix yourself.

Even if you reject that VIN and have to reorder, absolutely worth taking a shot at getting a clean build, which as others have said, is still the best car out there.

I disagree completely with UnclePaul. I have a Tesla and a BMW I5M60. Look I have no problem with either car or if people prefer one over the other. They are both great cars.

But, personally, I love my I5. The HUD, 360 camera, customizing screens, ride quality and overall better comfort and build quality are not making things more complicated. They are making my experience BETTER! I think Tesla customers should be wanting Tesla to start providing more innovation in the car. Yes, their charging, batter and speed are great. But, why not offer these other features or new ones too?

Every button and switch cost $, add complexity, require additional wiring, require someone to design them, install them, stock replacement parts, logically design a layout, confirm compatibility with every other button, need their own signage, take up space on the dash, etc. It simply is hugely expensive. In Elon speak, the best switch is no switch.
I relate to this for my recently upgraded home theater system. I used to need 4 separate remote controls to turn on, adjust volume, switch channels, switch modes, adjust brightness etc. Now I have a smart system that simply does everything on a simple Apple Tv remote with only 8 buttons. Voice control is excellent and search is almost instant.
I believe the future of the automobile will be something less difficult to build, less expensive to build and less labor intensive to build. This is the direction Tesla is going.
I do agree, that for some, lots of buttons will give the owner an Ego boost.

Every button and switch cost $, add complexity, require additional wiring, require someone to design them, install them, stock replacement parts, logically design a layout, confirm compatibility with every other button, need their own signage, take up space on the dash, etc. It simply is hugely expensive. In Elon speak, the best switch is no switch.
I relate to this for my recently upgraded home theater system. I used to need 4 separate remote controls to turn on, adjust volume, switch channels, switch modes, adjust brightness etc. Now I have a smart system that simply does everything on a simple Apple Tv remote with only 8 buttons. Voice control is excellent and search is almost instant.
I believe the future of the automobile will be something less difficult to build, less expensive to build and less labor intensive to build. This is the direction Tesla is going.
I do agree, that for some, lots of buttons will give the owner an Ego boost.

Agreed on buttons.

I don't mind a car that is cheaper to build, as long as the most expensive models don't look that way.

Put some of the savings back into better interior materials and fit, and exterior paint and finish.

Or don't even try. For instance, the Ambient Lighting in the MS is a joke.

Reactions: Propofoln
Agreed on buttons.

I don't mind a car that is cheaper to build, as long as the most expensive models don't look that way.

Put some of the savings back into better interior materials and fit, and exterior paint and finish.

Or don't even try. For instance, the Ambient Lighting in the MS is a joke.
Ambient lighting? What ambient lighting? Ohh yeah, I guess we have the front and rear footwells, and the door pockets, and... uh... that's it.